1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

Why would you put an empty can in the fridge?

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

two things: the only canned seafood the spanish refrigerate are the white anchovies -- boquerones. I would probably follow their practice, though certainly 12 hours probably isn't enough to kill you. But why bring them back? there are plenty of places to buy the same product here. boquerones are fairly popular and there are 3-4 good makers represented so they are very easy to find on the interwebz

4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

You'll be dead, thus can't blame, thus don't care.

5. alexg

alexg Senior member

They definitely also refrigerate the regular anchoas del Cantábrico, or at least they have in the dozen or so stores I've seen. I haven't had many anchovies in the US, but I've had some incredible ones here from small brands that I doubt are ever exported. It's actually kind of difficult to find things to bring to America from Spain. The big thing to bring back would be ham, but that's illegal. Most of the seafood is exported, as is basically every wine I've seen. Globalization has ruined my fun.

I'll haunt your dreams.

6. edinatlanta

lol. you're going to be the worst ghost ever. All I will do is wake up and boom you're gone.

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

it certainly is a different world. as i've said before, i'm really old. i can remember when the introduction of the fax machine was the big advance in travel -- you could fax a reservation to a hotel or restaurant, and if they didn't speak english, they could find someone to translate it. I used to pack an extra suitcase just to bring back books. now i can order just about anything from amazon.co.uk.

8. edinatlanta

Regarding the ham... just get the vacuum-sealed things of sliced ham. Not that I have done it nor am I encouraging you to do so.

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

there's a spanish importer not far from my house that has a very small retail outlet. lots of good stuff they bring in or make themselves (terrific chorizos). But imagine my surprise a couple of weeks ago when i walk in and find stacked at least a half-dozen giant black boxes of cinco jotas iberico de bellota ... whole hams. didn't even ask how much because i knew i'd start rationalizing how i could afford it.

10. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

You can't bring back ham from Spain? Darn. I wanted to do that someday

12. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

The dude I cook for brought back a whole leg.

13. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

What is your favorite French recipe for duck breast? My recent(ish) attempts have fallen short. Can't seem to get the right combination of crispy skin, tenderness, and sauce pairing to remove the gameyness.

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

I've always been using the technique that was advocated here a few years ago. Score the skin, cook skin-side down without fat on very low heat until the skin is crisped, crank the heat up, cook on the flesh side for like 30 seconds, remove from pan, let rest, make some sort of sauce by deglazing the fond with whatever you want to. I frequently remove the rendered fat but I'm not sure whether it's necessary. Comes out very good every time.

15. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Don't you mean sucs?

16. b1os

b1os Senior member

17. moddey

moddey Well-Known Member

Lots of leftover vin jaune in the bottle after using some to make a sauce - how long will it stay usable, what's the best way to store it?

18. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

Fridge. It's already oxidized it's fine for a while. You could freeze in a mason jar too.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  19. edinatlanta

I have a ton of shells from a Louisiana boil. It was all spicy. I would prefer to not have spicy stock. Is there anything I can do to prevent that? Soak the shells for a few hours?

20. tropics

tropics Senior member

what to do with jars of ortiz tuna?