• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^
I would quickly reheat them in the frying oil, maybe leave them slightly undercooked from where you want to end up and then quickly pass them through the oil when ready to serve if you want them very crispy. The oven will work but it will lose some crispyness.

This. The oven works in a pinch--I wouldn't put them under the broiler, I'd just put them in a moderate oven for a bit. The best way though is going to be to par-fry them and finish them at the time. However, if you are having a party or something, this is probably not what you want to be doing during it, so the oven would be my second choice.

bullrams

Reaction score
We always have this issue. Whenever we've re-loaded them in the oven, they've always lost their crispness and turned out soggy. I talk about fried stuffed dumplings (pakodis), cutlets, samosas.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to a certain extent, it depends on what you're cooking. foods with high moisture content will not reheat as crisply as food with low moisture. but again, as aravenel points out, if you're serving fried food to a crowd, you don't have a lot of alternatives. ed's suggestion is good, but entails somebody standing at the stove for a while.
I'd reheat in the oven, putting the food on a rack above a cookie sheet and being careful not to try to do too many at a time. leave some room in between.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd reheat in the oven, putting the food on a rack above a cookie sheet and being careful not to try to do too many at a time. leave some room in between.

This is an excellent point--it is very important not to crowd them or they will steam, not crisp up. A cooling rack nested in a cookie sheet, being careful not to crowd them, is what I always use, and while it is clearly not as good as freshly-fried, it does the trick better than any other method I have found.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does it work out with prior moisturizing the crust a little? That's what works well with bread. But then again fried food isn't exactly bread.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you're talking about two completely different (and in many ways opposite) processes. you dampen bread before reheating to help fight staleness (this is in highly general, highly unscientific language ... look up retrogradation). you want the bread to be softer. you want fried foods to be crisp, which is kind of the opposite of soft. if you have one of those spray-misters with oil, y ou might give that a try (with a hot oven), but i don't know that it would make a difference.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm making a tart tatin from apples I gathered. Good recipe please?

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the Thomas Keller one. I have to say, I've made it maybe 5 times and each time had issues., When you are talking about burnt sugar, there's so much that can go wrong. I've never had one where it went flawless.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
edina alert:
i've made this one from anne willan several times and really like it. you want to really jam the apples together, because they'll shrink as they cook.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I looked in the French Laundry Cookbook and didn't find a tatin recipe. The other one looks good and I am apprehensive to use the pastry crust that is used, but instead the one I usually use with pies/cobblers - it's basically the same though except I do not use an egg yolk.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you read French or did you buy the $300 English version?

For anyone still interested in this, I just picked up a copy off of the Amazon UK site for a little under $90 shipped.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the Bouchon Bakery book today. It looks very nice.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wanted to make some really garlicky olive oil, and I was going to simply dunk some garlic cloves in some oil and leave it for a few days.

I googled it just to make sure it wouldn't get overly pungent or take on an odd flavor, when all this stuff about botulism popped up. All the usual food forvms were like "DONT DO THIS YOURE GONNA DIE!"

How can this be? I mean, how is dunking a few cloves of garlic in EVOO :)devil:) any different than making any other olive oil-based confit, like tomatoes?

Would this change if I quickly blanched the garlic cloves, or can botulism grow inside the clove?

I guess I'm asking for a primer on botulism.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads