1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Has anyone used this product before? Mrs. Piob found these for $2 a bottle and picked a few up. Have yet to open one.

[​IMG]

2. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I've had something similar. Flavor is not great. Maybe chop it up and mix into your stuffing for Thanksgiving.

1 person likes this.
  3. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Salted natural sausage casings. Can you freeze them? Purely a space making room in our fridge as they're pretty shelf stable in the fridge.

5. dacox

dacox Senior member

I have some too and was told by the butcher that I can store them in the freezer in a bag of salt water for up to 6 months... so far no problems using this method.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  6. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

Could someone direct me to a notched knife rest? So that the knife sits upright instead of like this:

[​IMG]

Preferably a very simple design.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I just bought a jar of peeled garlic and it says it's good until April 2015. How is this possible?

Whenever I see the packaged, peeled garlic in styrofoam and saran wrap, that shit says it expires within a week or two. How does it being stored in a jar affect its shelf life? Just the fact that it's air-sealed?

8. otc

otc Senior member

How difficult is it to just peel your own?

And is it in oil? That probably keeps the air off of it.

9. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Buy fresh garlic. #freshgarlic#freshneverfrozen#cheflife

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I don't cook very often and I derive no sense of joy or accomplishment from cooking things. So, naturally, peeling fresh garlic is very cumbersome and time-consuming for me (the one dish I'm thinking about requires a lottttt of cloves of garlic; not just two or three).

It's not in oil. They're just in a small plastic jar with a lid. I'm skeptical that they can last for 4 months once I open the jar..

11. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

12. otc

otc Senior member

Go to YouTube and watch someone bash a clove with the side of a knife so the peel just falls off. Takes literally 2 seconds and you won't have to worry about how long it lasts in a cool dark place.

1 person likes this.
  13. sonick

sonick Senior member

:teach:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  14. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Hugh Acheson's book will have you covered.

What's a good wine I can buy now for cheapish and age for like 5 years and one for like 10? Also are there any wines that have aged well and are cheapish? I remember the bottle I had at my dad's birthday and it was like 15 to 20 years and it made me see what people flip their lids over for wine. I had a bottle of Chateneuf de Pape on a date a few weeks ago (she bought it) that still had that taste that young bottles of wine have, don't know how to describe it but like a sharpness or something.

Good god I can't believe I get paid to command the English language sometimes.

15. otc

otc Senior member

That works, but for a few cloves, it isn't faster than smashing them with a knife.

I basically only try that method when I am making something like the garlic tart from Plenty where I need a ton of peeled cloves, and I need them whole (the smashing technique only really works when you are going to cut up the garlic).

16. sonick

sonick Senior member

It is, but GF mentioned the recipe that required "a lottttt" of garlic cloves, which this method would work for his lazy ass.

1 person likes this.
  17. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

I don't think he asked how to peel garlic. He just asked how the shelf life could be so long. It's probably got some kind of inert gas pumped into the jar that preserves it until it's popped open. That stuff isn't bad anyway.

18. sonick

sonick Senior member

Well he only asked about the shelf life of pre-peeled garlic because he found peeling fresh garlic to be cumbersome for recipes that required a lot of cloves.

19. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Pigeon in saffron honey
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. b1os

b1os Senior member

#wrongthread #offtopic #reported

3 people like this.