1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

Check the ingredients

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

it's probably just butter + truffle oil + mushroom particles meant to look like white truffle chunks

1 person likes this.
  3. b1os

b1os Senior member

And that truffle oil is likely just plain oil with "natural" flavoring.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

truffle butter is a little weird in that I wouldn't use it on like bread or anything. Use it for cooking/finishing dishes. Canned mushroom soup + a dollop of that would probably make for a decent canned meal.

1 person likes this.
  5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    While I'll admit my acquaintance with white truffles is somewhat dated, it is quite extensive. I used to go to Alba quite regularly back when they were actually affordable. I understand the aversion to "white truffle products" and everything people say is true. HOWEVER. the real problem with them is if they are used excessively (the way you would real white truffles). used discretely, I do think they add a pretty great aroma. For example: spread white truffle butter on toasts (the way you might shave white truffles over hot buttered toast .... oh jeez), and it will taste fake. Beat a little white truffle butter into a wild mushroom risotto right at the end, and if the mushrooms are decent (fresh or dried), it will really lift the dish.

2 people like this.
  6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Is there anything (pickled) that is superior to pickled okra? No there is not. It really is the most perfect vegetable for pickling. Only watermelon rinds come as close to pickled okras.

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

that is an answer, not a question
    #edinaphail.

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

I've made pickles once, after one of Ottolenghi's recipes, and they turned out pretty bad (way too garlicy, etc). But I'm a fan of good pickles. I've had fantastic pickled salt/dill cucumbers a while ago (still fresh enough so they don't turn to a mush). If you have some good recipes, for please share.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  9. edinatlanta

ure face is a phail.

10. edinatlanta

Hugh acheson's book. I make a lot of quick pickles and the recipes are all fairly similarish.

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i'm rubber; you're glue. :slayer:

12. edinatlanta

510 and still no email from the taste.... just saying

13. otc

otc Senior member

Puff Pastry dough--should I make it myself or stick with the fancy expensive stuff from whole foods (or go find a normal grocery store that sells the regular stuff).

I always make my own pie crust, but use store-bought puff pastry. Making the Plenty garlic tart again tomorrow and thought that maybe I should try making my own.

Is it like pie crust where it will be noticeably better? Or will I screw it up and it will suck?

14. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

You should try to make it at least once. There are well detailed instructions (with pics) in the Thomas Keller Bouchon Bakery Cookbook, so that is a good resource if you have no prior experience making a laminated dough. It is not terribly difficult to make, but rather requires an allotted amount of time (2 days) and a fair degree of patience.

I've never bought frozen puff pastry at a store, so I don't know how it compares. The one I make at home is always wonderfully flaky and buttery, so I usually just make it myself. Foodguy might call me a masochist, which I can't truly object.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  15. otc

otc Senior member

Hmm...well I was planning to make the tart tomorrow, so I guess I don't have time for Keller's two overnight rests.

Might give it a try this afternoon with another recipe....can always go buy some if I have to.

16. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

you could also make a rough puff, which is much quicker and good for tarts, etc.
    http://recipes.latimes.com/recipe-rough-puff-pastry-212366/

if you're looking for commercial, try to find a brand made with all butter.

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i find this rule applies to pretty much anything.

18. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I don't think it is imperative to chill the butter and d├ętrempe overnight, even though this is what God advocates. If your fridge is cold enough, a few hours should be adequate.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  19. otc

otc Senior member

Thanks. I ended up running out of time anyways...so I used the frozen Dufour puff pastry dough from whole foods which is all-butter and pretty good (although quite expensive).

Used a mature chabis instead of the goat gouda that I have usually used in the tart--thought it was great.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  20. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

any recs for a good pickle recipe?