1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I am making Brioche. They say the dough is supposed to be sticky but pull back into shape when stretched. Mine hasn't gotten much less sticky since I finished kneading the butter in, so it is a bit too stuck to the counter to really pull back into shape. Should I just add extra flour or just put in the bowl and let it rise?

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

You're lucky you live somewhere you can buy good pancetta. I have to make my own from scratch [​IMG]

The big store in the plaza with Louis Vuitton has nothing?

thread question: will cooked mussels last in the fridge?

3. why

why Senior member

I am making Brioche. They say the dough is supposed to be sticky but pull back into shape when stretched. Mine hasn't gotten much less sticky since I finished kneading the butter in, so it is a bit too stuck to the counter to really pull back into shape. Should I just add extra flour or just put in the bowl and let it rise?

Just put it in the bowl. Remember to use bench flour to avoid adhesion next time.

Yes. They'll probably get funky after a day or so.

4. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Just put it in the bowl. Remember to use bench flour to avoid adhesion next time.

Thank you, Sir.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

The big store in the plaza with Louis Vuitton has nothing?

No. I mean, a few hours or so or a day, but you generally don't want to be storing bivalves too long if they aren't alive.

6. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

yea, but 1-2 days max.

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Yes. They'll probably get funky after a day or so.
    No. I mean, a few hours or so or a day, but you generally don't want to be storing bivalves too long if they aren't alive.
    I'll probably keep it to a few hours in the fridge at most, I wasn't planning for anytime longer than half a day. As it turns out, I can NOT eat 2lbs on my own. They're cheap enough, whatever. I know mussels produce some toxin when dead, I'd like to avoid consuming this if possible.

8. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Do you live somewhere where it's warm enough to grill?
    I would marinate them in a mixture of red wine vinegar, oil, garlic, onion, and basil, for only about 2 hours. Then toss it on a super hot grill to cook it.
    Serve it with grilled jalapeno polenta cakes and a tomato/asparagus/basil salad. [​IMG] that sounds good.

Was damn good! Thx!

9. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Not a question, but I think I'm experiencing Brioche fail. :-(

10. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

The first time I tried I failed. There has been no second yet.

11. why

why Senior member

No rise? [​IMG]

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

13. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

Brioche is a bitch.
    Mine came out with about the consistency/density of what I'd expect one of those mud and straw bricks to have. It was also oddly dry for having a pound or however much butter in it.

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I don't even mess with brioche. It is the queen of bitches, IMO. Just having the pastry people work with it next to me when I was a prep cook, I could see how hard it was to work with. I don't know much about bread, but I know I wouldn't feel comfortable making brioche until I had a strong foundation in all other kinds of breadmaking.

15. why

why Senior member

I've never made it, but I assume it can't be any more fussy than puff pastry.

16. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I tend to agree... but if you're going to try it, I highly recommend using one of the recipes from Shirley O Corriher's "Bakewise". I know some folks on here don't love ol' Shirl, but when it comes to sensitive organic chemical reactions, she's the master. Plus, a good friend of mine tested all the recipes in that book.... with normal people , so I know it can be done.

17. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I've never made it, but I assume it can't be any more fussy than puff pastry.

I've never made brioche either, but I can make a decent puff dough. I don't think it's really very hard. The most important parts are obviously the distribution of the butter and then the quality of the physical lamination, neither of which are hard if you know what you're doing.
    Maybe the pastry people have a hard time with the brioche b/c it's a 90% butter brioche. So it's probably harder to work with than a regular recipe.

18. why

why Senior member

I made brioche. I didn't get the shape perfect (they're ugly), but they have a good texture and taste. I'll add pictures to the Bread Thread in a bit.

19. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Luckily the fail wasn't absolute, it just didn't rise as much as the recipe said it would. The end product was ok though I definitely shouldn't have used salted butter. I'm made it into a loaf, because I wanted to smear it with nutella, it was tasty.

20. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Cooking sausage--I usually put it in a cast iron skillet and add water to cover the sausages about halfway. Med+heat, turn occasionally, try not to pierce. Eventually the water cooks off (at this point they're cooked) and then they'll brown in the skillet. Just take them out when they casing is browned enough for you.

This is what I do.