• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It mainly has to with durability. I haven't really made tarts before, so I wonder if going with pan that isn't coated is to going to be a nightmare when cooking them.

I prefer tart rings to pans. Better looking results, easier, etc.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would there be any advantage to not going with non-stick?

For woks get the cheapest carbon steel you can. It's the one piece of equipment I think I would not really try to go fancy on. Woks are supposed to be used with super high heat. Carbon steel will naturally be non-stick. Don't get teflon for this application.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For woks get the cheapest carbon steel you can. It's the one piece of equipment I think I would not really try to go fancy on. Woks are supposed to be used with super high heat. Carbon steel will naturally be non-stick. Don't get teflon for this application.

Yeah, this is what I did. Ended up purchasing a traditional Cantonese round bottom Wok with stabilizing ring from the Wok Shop, made in China, for $25. Seasoning looks straight forward, bake on some oil, then char some chives.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oops. accidentally erased.

apply thin layer of flaxseed oil with paper towel, preheat oven and pan together, bake at 550 degrees for an hour.

soybean oil is also a good one and much cheaper.

Last edited:

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's basically what I do with most of my cast iron stuff, and my De Buyer pans. The Wok Shop recommends charring chives or green onions before cooking to remove any metallic taste the Wok might impart on food. Not sure how true that is.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i've also heard of frying potato skins. i'm not sure how true either are, but considering they sell the woks i'm sure they know what they're talking about

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard of frying pieces of potato, not just the skin, until completely charred. :laugh:

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's still the case, but the De Buyers pans use to come with seasoning instructions that included boiling potato peels in the pan for 10 minutes.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matt, or anyone else familar with this, should the tart ring be seamless? I found this one on Amazon, it's obviously not seamless. I know one should probably own a range of sizes, but would the 9.5" at 3/4" be the most typical size?

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Matt, or anyone else familar with this, should the tart ring be seamless? I found this one on Amazon, it's obviously not seamless. I know one should probably own a range of sizes, but would the 9.5" at 3/4" be the most typical size?

That is fine. Perfect, in fact.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
OK, so since we're on woks, here's a really random food question:

I also need a wok. I have a pretty hot stove; kicks out 22K BTU. I know a true wok setup would be more like 30K and I think might also sit on the flame in a little different way... anyways, the question is, how big a wok can I get without overwhelming my burner to the point where I'm not really using the high heat the way I ought to for Chinese food?

Edit: while we're at it - any good references for the basics of wok/Chinese cooking (yeah, I know that there are 7 kinds of Chinese cooking... just trying to learn a few basics about methods, etc.)? E.g. what high heat does to food that's essential to Chinese food, recommendations on things like oils, other good basics....

Last edited:

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D, after talking to the Wok Shop in SF, I went with a 16" for a 15,000BTU burner. If you don't get an answer here, I would suggest giving them a call, very knowledgeable people.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Is there any point to flambe that wouldn't be equally accomplished by having doves magically fly out of the same dish?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics