1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. b1os

b1os Distinguished Member

So. Gonna make duck leg confit tonight. What is your favorite preparation considering temperature and time? Recipes vary from 130°C and 2 hours to 88°C and 10 hours (Keller). Apparently, the latter is too long if you want to brown them before eating - the meat is so tender it will fall apart (according to one random food blog). What would you do? I can stay up long, time is not the problem.
    After the X hours in the oven, I let them cool outside in the fat, then put them in containers without fat if I eat them tomorrow/the day after tomorrow or fill the container with the goose fat if I want to store it a little longer, right?
    fg, you/your test kitchen tried out different techniques?

2. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Forgive me if this is a prudish American question...

...but with a small child at home I am wondering about the sagacity of cooking with wine and serving these foods to my daughter. My inclination is that most of the alcohol content would cook off fairly quickly, but I am wondering how much this really is or is not the case. A splash of wine to deglaze a pan doesn't worry me that much, though perhaps the shorter cooking time ought to. Last night I made beef bourgignon which of course features covered cooking and whole bottle of wine, but also an extended cooking time, so...

:puzzled:

I presume the French have been doing this without hesitation for many years, which depending on your feelings about them is either proof or disproof of its potential ill effects.

I've read conflicting things across the interwebz, so as always, I defer to the StyleForvm elders for a final verdict.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Flamed alcohol retains 75% of its alcohol. That is insane. I never would have guessed it was that high.... I would have assumed that the alcohol burnt off until the alcohol is at a low enough volume that the alcohol to liquid ratio prevents it from holding a flame.... so making a whisky sauce would take the 40% alcohol and would be aflame until the alcohol content got to 10 or so, until it was low enough not to catch flame. But according to that chart, a whisky sauce that was flamed would in fact retain 30% ABV?

5. b1os

I've just tried it out. This is a little weird. I used like 4cl vodka. A lot of it burned away. It still burned in the aftertaste, but not sure whether 20% or 30%.
    Anyway, the 4cl had 40%. Which would mean, according to the table, if half of the liquid burned, the rest would have 75% of the 40% of the 4cl. Which would mean that the 2cl actually had 60%, wouldn't it?
    In reality, if half of it burned, the 2cl had 20-30%, so not 75% of the original alcohol content, but more like 3/8 -> 37.5%. The definition is a little misleading imo.

No one can help witht he confit? I guess I'll hit 100°C then, probably five hours or so.

6. itsstillmatt

Just cure the meat overnight, stick it in melted fat and cook at a very slow simmer until you get no resistance when you poke the meat with a skewer. A lot of times there are no real recipes, just methods.

7. b1os

I've figured that out. The only thing I wanted to know is whether you guys prefer a very low cook (88°C) or don't think it's better (more tender) than a 100°C cook or don't think it's better (more tender) than a faster 130°C cook. That's why I've asked here and not in the recipe thread. :happy:

8. foodguy

foodguy Distinguished Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

i wouldn't. one thing brines do is pull well, not blood, but blood-like substances, from the meat. i don't think this is dangerous per se, particularly if you're talking about a period of 24 hours, but it seems obvious that the brine you start batch one with won't be the same as the brine you use for batch 2. What we will refer to as "juice" to avoid unnecessary complication, is a rich soup of proteins, enzymes and other naturally occuring chemicals which will have an effect on the quality of the meat which it is bringing, though it may be slight depending on the dilution. Still. No.

of course you are! and don't let anyone spoil your very specialness.

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Thanks for the explanation. Now, Mr. McGee light ( :devil: ) do you have an opinion on this stuff?

10. sygyzy

sygyzy Distinguished Member

If I were you, I'd go low and slow meaning yes, closer to your first value rather than your last. I don't remember, do you have access to SV? It is infinitely more convenient to do confit SV. It's one of the few applications that is hard to argue against the merits.

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Stylish Dinosaur

yeahhhhh
    I see the better looking one at my supermarket all the time, I guess she lives nearby - Mika? Enormous tits.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

12. Fang66

Fang66 Stylish Dinosaur

Is she as odd looking in real life?

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Stylish Dinosaur

yes. Incredibly tall for a Japanese woman, she is amazonian, and she always wears huge sunglasses pretending like nobody will notice her. Can't hide that rack though.

14. itsstillmatt

OK, another for FG. Spot prawns seem to be available again. Do they have to be live when cooked, or can I skewer them lenghtwise to keep them straight and take the shell off of the bottom a couple hours ahead?

15. foodguy

foodguy Distinguished Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

technically, i'm the mcgee light who can cook.
    that wine stuff fits with the research i've read, but it doesn't fit with my practical experience. i've never heard of anyone getting buzzed by boeuf bourginonne. one problem with food science is that it tends to look at questions in isolation, rather than in context (because context is so complicated it's hard to take apart to get the answer). my favorite example is the whole "searing doesn't seal in juices" meme ... which is technically true, but contextually false (it doesn't "seal in" juice, but it does make meat seem more juicy). my guess is that cooking alcohol by itself doesn't reduce the level that much, but cooking it over a long period of time with other ingredients probably is a different thing.