Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

The key with proper equipment is that the equipment monitors the temperature for you.

2. KJT

KJT Senior member

I had a foodsaver already, so that's not an additional cost. I put together an immersion circulator for relatively cheap, so I don't have to monitor the cooking. Basically, I can throw in a piece of meat bagged up with some spices and fat, come back x hours later, open the bag, sear it and serve, and it will be perfectly cooked. I don't see how that's not appealing.

3. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

enlighten me, please. i'm open to hearing about this, but right now, let's say i'm making a fish. i make it in a pan, i clean the pan.

now i sous vide it. i have to take out my vacuum device, plus i have a water bath or cooler i've dragged out, gotta at least rinse it out... and afterwards, i still have to brown the fish, so i still have the pan.

and also now it's taken me a lot longer to cook dinner.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

4. Douglas

btw, KJT, I'm not trying to dissuade you - you should do whatever the heck you want and it's not my desire to talk you out of it (though it's clear i'm not succeeding on that front anyways ha ha :)) I guess I'm just saying that, for me, I dunno. I don't get it. I'm not about to go blow a grand on a proper chamber vac and circulator.

5. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

I bag 10 chicken breasts on Sunday evening, cook them, chill them, and put them in the fridge. I come home Tuesday night, open the bag, slice it, and put it on a salad. I throw out the bag. I don't have to clean a pan, or a tupperware. There are no cooking smells in my apartment. My time investment ends up being however long it took to seal the bags. Such. Difficult. Shit.

6. KJT

KJT Senior member

I'd say that you're right, for a relatively quickly cooking protein, the benefits are not quite as apparent. I think for things that need to braise for a long time, or at least would significantly benefit from the long cooking time, the sous vide method takes out a lot of the guess-work and monitoring. Also, I am not comfortable leaving my house with the gas stove or oven on, but wouldn't mind leaving the immersion circulator running. And again, there is the peace of mind that the meat will be cooked to your exact temperature specifications while you're not babying it.

It's not a tool that is designed to speed up the dinner cooking process for the home cook. Instead, at least for me, I think it will make it easier to have well cooked food.

7. Douglas

Ok, you've hit right on my point about scalability and such. I can see how this works for you.

If I eat chicken breasts 10 days in a row, shoot me.

Hell, if I try to serve chicken breasts to my wife 10 days in a row, she will shoot me for me.

And god forbid my house should ever smell like cooking food.

8. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

The initial conversation was concerning pork tenderloin. Please try to refrain from discussing any other proteins, e.g., chicken breasts.

Thanks,
    The Mansons

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

^Reported for an attempt to moderatore the discussion.

10. KJT

KJT Senior member

Haha, no worries. I wouldn't spend a grand either. It's certainly not a necessity in a kitchen.

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

No offense, but you really aren't interested in having a meaningful discussion on this and you aren't going to be convinced. That's fine. But don't act like you really are interested in hearing about it and then snark and nitpick every post made back to you.

12. Douglas

Re: long braises, you have a point. I can see it being a lot easier to do a long braise and have it be more stress-free. That's probably the advantage I can see most clearly for sous-vide. Would be great to do a bunch of individual oxtails for a dinner party, less need to pull them right out exactly on time... good idea.

Unfortunately, those longer braises are the ones where supposedly a Food Saver (I have one) is not safe enough - you need a chamber vac - and you'd really need a more professional circulator setup - and I'm not handy enough to try to MacGuyver one together on my own.

13. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Reported for poor English.

14. Douglas

I absolutely am interested. But making 10 chicken breasts at a time is not convincing, sorry. I could also bake 10 chicken breasts in the oven at once and have a single thing to clean.

15. otc

otc Senior member

the DIY machine is on my list for a couple of reasons.

A big one is keeping the oil film and cooking smells down in my small apartment. Bring it to perfect temp in the machine (if you were doing chicken breasts, you could foodsaver individual ones in the freezer and go straight into the water bath without thawing), cut it out of the bag and do a quick sear. To really keep things clean, people keep saying you could even do the sear with a torch.

So I may have to clean a pan in addition to rinsing out the water bath...but I won't have to clean the oil film that builds up in my kitchen since I don't have a vent hood.

Also, you can't do the crazy egg things without accurate temp control.