Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

FG, you post the amazing pieces of food trivia/knowledge.

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

thanks. and, yes, it is hard to tell the difference.

3. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Not sure if anyone's watching Top Chef tonight, but Grayson's totally cooking chicken Rambo-style!

4. Steve Plotnicki

Steve Plotnicki Member

I hate to be the one to make the conversation revert to the boring hamburger discussion but my lunch today was a good case study in what a restaurant's policy on modifications should be. I met a friend for lunch at Minetta Tavern where the plan was to have the infamous black label burger ($26). I had a bite of it once before, but that was before all of the hype hit. First thing I noticed was that the menu didn't say anything about cheese (I prefer cheese on my burgers though I am perfectly happy with a plain burger.) When the waiter took my order I asked him about cheese and he mumbled something about it not being served with cheese. Not being happy with his answer, I pushed him a bit further by asking him if he meant that they didn't offer a version with cheese or the restaurant preferred serving it without cheese? His response:

"No, cheese is allowed, it is just not recommended as the flavor of the meat is strong and we think the cheese mutes the flavor."

Now that is a reasonable position.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^totally agree

so is it worth 26 dolores? i want to make my way over there some day

you shouldn't have to fold it in thirds. you just kinda scrunch it up at the end of the pan, make the shape ovular, tap the handle a few times to flip the whole scrunch over, and then flip onto a plate. also you might want to try cooking longer at a lower temperature. maybe it's just me but i dont like some of the mixture to be running on the bottom.

also :slayer: at chopsticks. best omelette cooking device ever. not as clumsy as a spatula and doesn't scrape your pan like a fork.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

merry edwards sauvignon blanc :devil:

also re: ducasse method i always screw up somehow and overcook my meat. i think for a noob quick sear on cast iron and then into the oven works best. if you do ducasse make sure your steaks are fucking thick.

7. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

^ Thanks for the advice. I'm planning on trying the Ducasse method this weekend. Will look out for very thick ribeyes.

Noob question: if overcooking is a problem but you still want some good browning on the outside, is starting with steaks that are colder than room temperature a viable option?

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Wut? You agree it's reasonable?
    I seriously see very little applicable difference between the two following sentences:
    "The meat is strong and cheese mutes the flavor that I want my burger to have."
    "You can't get this burger without bleu cheese because that's the flavor profile I want my burgers to have."

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

the first allows the customer a choice. i like the first statement better because it's more of a dialogue and customer centered. we think blue cheese tastes best on this burger and would prefer that you eat it with blue cheese, but if you don't like it we can take it off. i think that's more reasonable than fuck you. eat the burger with blue cheese or get the fuck out

i guess i'm thinking as a customer. as a chef like i've said i know it's a fucking pain in the ass to accommodate all the various customizations ordered by idiot customers.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Still room temp. IIRC, if its cold you'll actually end up overcooking because it'll take time to heat up in the pan.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

it is relative. if you cook a cold steak the same amount of time as a room temperature steak the cold steak will undercook. it's also clearly possible to overcook a cold steak

try salting an hour before hand. it might help with browning

12. b1os

b1os Senior member

I do it the Pepin way. But probably my heat is a little too high (although his butter melts pretty fast, doesn't it?). I never get the nice coating of the whole pan he gets in the end which makes it far easier to fold.
    The runny mixture is because of the (too) high temperature, too. There is a point where the omelette is fairly solid, still partly is runny on top. If I further "scramble" it, it won't reconnect, if you understand what I mean.
    And yeah, chopsticks are fucking genious.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i guess i basically described the pepin way. it just looked like from the pic it was a set omelette folded in thirds

i know what you mean. but if you let the eggs set for a little while you can "reconnect" it at the edge of the pan. the timing is pretty tricky tho. i think you really need something non sticky (not just non stick) to get that proper reconnection

14. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

This is probably sacrilege but I hate those thin little frenchy omelettes. I like them the way my mom made them - all thick and puffy and not particularly presentable.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

thin? i would call them thick and puffy, but presentable