Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

What's the deal with baby vidalias? are they in season? What's a good use for them? Foodguy--lil help?

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Substitutions bug the hell out of me as a chef, but the people who do "no substitution" rules are complete dickbags.

3. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Guess I personally don't mind no substitution rules because I'm not allergic to anything and I have no particular hang-ups about ingredients. In fact, next time I'm in L.A., I'd like to try the fusion-y place owned by the Father's Office dude, who's all about no substitutions.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I know someone with a severe milk allergy. As in he eats a food cooked with even a tiny amount of butter and he pukes it all up. So he and his wife went to TFL for dinner while visiting CA and they called ahead of time to inform the kitchen of this. The kitchen said they had no problem with it. Fast forward 3-4 months: he sits down with his wife and within 1 hour is in the bathroom puking up. His wife informs the kitchen that they fucked the whole thing up. The kitchen creates an entirely different menu for them, on the spot, and the FOH comps the shit out of them on the wine. They've told me several times that that is still the best dining experience they've ever had.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

This is pretty much where I'm at, at this point, with a 25%-30% approximation. I was just wondering if there was an actual scientific process that had figured it all out ahead of time for me.

And, yes Cary, that's why I was asking. Since I cook my proteins in bulk ahead of time its not feasible for me to weigh each portion and then cook that. I can find values for cooked proteins online and work from that. I just wanted to have that knowledge in the ole memory banks.

6. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

Why is it so hard to understand a place that doesn't accept subtitutions? Sang Yoon's place in Santa Monica called Father's Office doesn't allow it for their burgers. It was voted the #1 burger in America some years back and at least for me, I haven't had anything better. I think it's that good. My friend interviewed him and got some really great insight. He basically says that he designed the food to taste a certain way and if one guy came in and put a bunch of mustard on it and another person tossed on some thousand island, they would all have a different version of what he was trying to present. If you don't like it, simply don't eat there.

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Used the cooked values, that's what I do.

8. edinatlanta

what I dislike most about patrickBOOTH's story is the idea that because "it is just a sandwich" it can't be gourmet or elevated to something to which the general public must look up. Although I can't remember the last time I tried to substitute something I do cringe whenever I see restaurants with "no substitutions." There is one I can kind of understand, it is a really busy and popular breakfast place where they probably make 90% of their money on saturday and sunday mornings that I can at least if not support go, alright that's cool, but they say it in such a douchey way I don't.

9. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

Some good points in here if you filter out the back-patting.

http://www.opinionatedaboutdining.com/OADblog.php?ID=11494

e.g.

One of my favorite stupid rule encounters was at the Culver City branch of the gastropub, Father’s Office. I went there especially to try their famous hamburger which they serve with blue cheese. One person in our party didn’t like blue cheese, and I was wheat gluten intolerant and blue cheese is made using rye bread. But the bartender refused to serve our burgers without the cheese telling us that our choices were limited to ordering the burger and wiping the blue cheese off, or ordering something else. Can you imagine telling someone to order something they are allergic to and telling them to wipe it off the food before eating it? It’s a law suit waiting to happen. But the ridiculousness didn’t stop there. One person asked for extra dressing for their salad and the waiter refused, and said, “we think it’s dressed perfectly."

Can you imagine one of Damian Hirst’s assistants deciding to change one of his pieces because a potential buyer asked him to? I can imagine the exchange: “I’m sorry, tell Damian I love that dot painting, but the color palate isn’t to my liking. Would you mind changing the color for me?" Well of course that would never happen, and that’s because art deserves a certain type of respect. But steak and potatoes, at least the way it is realized at Al Forno, has nothing to do with art and is merely fancified sustenance, regardless of the egotistitical claims by its owners.

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

Some people don't get that everyone has a different palate.

11. edinatlanta

Maybe Bhowie can answer this question... can someone tell me why sake bottles are traditionally smaller than wine bottles?

12. b1os

b1os Senior member

I just wanted to ask this... what a coincidence.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

The 'sake' guy here in town said it is based on multiples of the traditional Japanese 1 cup measure in milliliters.
    I had to look this up: 1 Japanese cup is 180mL so a bottle would be 720mL.

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

Shh Cary, no one asked you! :happy:

So, Bhowie.. you were saying?

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

This is what I was talking about recently. Big screw up but they made it good. Now, I've heard varying reports on TFL, but it sounds like they got the recovery right with these folks and they are still telling people about what turned out to be a great experience. It obviously could have ended up being a horror story.