Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

Pressing leftovers is so beta. There is a restaurant here in Germany that offers a dish that basically consists of lobster with sauce. The sauce is made of whole lobsters pressed in a 12k $ press of which there are only five in the world (or so they say).

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

3. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

The best duck I've eaten was à la presse:
    [​IMG]

4. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I like this idea a lot--*especially* the part about the scores. I find the dominance of the Parker 100-pt. system and the rhetoric around it (we all know it's flawed, but most of us still pay attention to it anyways) pretty fascinating. But I'm completely the wrong guy for this kind of interesting topic. I study dead people.

5. itsstillmatt

It's not only the scores, though. They are problematic and interesting, and yeah, everybody looks at them. The way they changed something that cultures had used for millennia in a few years is staggering. There is more, though. The way people start to identify with grapes and/or regions and judge other wine drinkers based on them. The way people have opinions on wines from books and the internet when they haven't ever experienced them. And not just wines that are too expensive to afford, but the way people have fully formed opinions about entire regions. Listening to somebody pick wine is like a live Rorschach test. I honestly think it is one of the areas in our culture which lays bare all of our collective disfunctions.

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

did they press the duck and make the sauce in the dining room, like Tour D'Argent?

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

the scores are just a symptom. it's like society was confronted with a new luxury consumable with which it had almost no experience but on which it could spend endless amounts of money. so it immediately went about trying to figure out how not to look foolish while spending as much as possible. that includes importing prejudices wholesale from societies that we believe have more information than we do. the french accent in wine is the same as the british accent on pbs -- they can say the most outlandish things and people will just nod their heads, trying to look wise. for all the shit parker has taken, he's popular because his palate matches that of most neophyte wine drinkers. he didn't form the market, he represents the market. i love wine about as much as the next guy, and i've been around it a lot longer than most (i'm old! get off my lawn!) but the utter silliness of much of what is written, said and believed about it boggles me.

8. erictheobscure

I feel the weight of these truths as someone who's berated himself for enjoying Spanish red wines more than French (although I simply don't have the bankroll to experiment with Burgundies). One facile way to put is that the selection of wine region & varietal preference is a way of constructing an ego-ideal. But using wine as a shorthand for identification is really interesting for the reasons you suggest--you have hemispheric & national identifications, but then there's also the question of grape varietals, which might be something like a zodiac sign that you actually get to choose.

I'm particularly interested in the scores (and the rhetoric around them) because they get to the most fundamental question of taste. But the basic subjective-objective question spins out in super interesting ways.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

9. erictheobscure

Oh, and fg, I unfortunately didn't get to try Julienne. I suggested it to my SB friends, but they made reservations for Bouchon because they'd been there before and liked it. But our meal was spectacularly boring. It was like really well done wedding food. (At least I got to pop my venison cherry.)

I was able to follow your Salumi suggestion in Seattle. God, that porchetta sandwich was a gut-buster.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

11. itsstillmatt

No doubt this is most of it, but I think there is also something in our makeup, our insecurities which makes us particularly susceptible. It's hard, though, and as Eric says below about Spanish wines, we all catch ourselves doing some of it. I think the point about not wanting to look silly is key. Think of how stressful being the one who orders wine at dinner with relatively new acquaintances can be. Hell, imagine how freaked out some of your friends must be when they are charged with buying wine for your arrival at their house. I guess the best I can do is to try to be aware of when I am being silly, but that is hard on its own.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

first, that certainly wasn't intended as a criticism of you, it was a concurrence. the root of much of the silliness about wine (IMHO), is that when people are buying it, they're not actually buying a beverage, but are trying to buy sophistication. what something tastes like goes out the window and they'll even knowingly purchase things they don't like because they believe that they would like them if they were better people. it's not unlike styleforum in that way.

13. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I forgot to mention that finding that white in LA introduced me to a cool warehouse wine store hidden next to a 405 on ramp.

Totally experienced this when we visited.

14. itsstillmatt

No, I definitely didn't take it as criticism. I was just saying that even though I am, I think, especially sensitive to it going on, I am hardly immune from doing it. Totally agree with the rest.

15. itsstillmatt

Did you find it? I thought it was awfully good. They had nice wine service overall.