Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Exactly. I had told him to preheat the oven for a good 45 minutes or so at 500. Get that stone good an hot.

FWIW, when we get our next house, I hope to have a pizza/bread oven built into an outdoor, wood burning fireplace. That will rock.

Dreams are nice, aren't they?

2. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Baller.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Maybe you can be like Alice Waters and cook eggs in a spoon in it.

4. Piobaire

If this little dream should happen...drinking while making pizza or bread will make me happy.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

nice idea on the outdoor pizza oven, but I'd get a gas-fired one. I think if it were gas and skipped the hassle of having to start a wood fire each time, we'd actually use it a lot, as baguettes and campagne are quite easy to make if you have a nice hot oven, and I do love good pizza.

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

So do wine experts not like chardonnay? i don't drink wine so i don't know but i see jokes yall make about chardonnay and its drinkers. just curious...

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I am not a wine expert, but I love Chardonnay.

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

california chardonnays are looked down upon because they were so different from french ones. accusations included too much oak and malolactic fermentation (turns malic acid which is commonly referred to as crab apple tasting to lactic acid which has more notes of vanilla, butter esp as diacetyl is made from the same process)

noob snobs will proclaim the joys of white burgundy and think you're a blithering idiot if you order california style chardonnays. pro snobs and post snobs will realize that well done and well balanced buttery chardonnays are nice to drink now and then.

that being said a lot of californian wineries are moving away from buttery chardonnays because they gave into the hate or became haters themselves

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  9. otc

otc Senior member

The people who bought my aunt and uncle's house here in chicago did that...imported a real wood burning pizza oven from italy and dumped it in their (small, urban) back yard.

Thing cost about as much as your average kitchen reno though...

edit: but apparently it throws out enough heat that it basically stays usable year round since its not an issue to have guests and be working around it in the middle of the chicago winter.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  10. Piobaire

My next house will 100% for sure either already have an outdoor fireplace or I will have one installed. Those are not expensive. I just hope to have an oven slot in the side of it is all. That sounds pretty cool thought what your family did.

Edina, to the Chard talk:

I too love a good Chard. Indesertum speaks truth. Also, another bitch is the typical American approach...too much oak is a bad thing? I know, I know! NO OAK!

Balance please. I'm not a fan of most inox either.

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    outdoor fireplaces are great. and they don't have to be too expensive. pizza ovens are great. and they are usually bazillions (literally? $10k-ish). and it depends on where you live ... in southern california we have an air quality board that frowns on these things.
    my dream: i've got an old book from sunset magazine with plans for dozens of backyard brick bbqs. i'd love to build one of those. like fred and ricky.

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

It's not just the oak, California chards tend to lack any sense of propriety. They are too big, to ripe, too out there. A bit too slutty. Not every one, but most. I like my chards to be very austere.

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

+1. You and Manton steered me to some great French examples and in the end Chardonnay might be my favorite varietal.

and another +1

ok, i'm done kissing matt's ass for at least another 10 minutes

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I think it's less of this, and more of this:
    a lot of Chard coming out of Cali can be really over the top, much like matt says. The over extraction, secondary malo, and the big oak makes for a very different wine, and while I don't think a lot of people expect identical products coming out of France and California, the degree of manipulation and sluttyness of California can be off putting to many. Bad Cali Chard is the deep fried Milky Way bars of wine.

15. otc

otc Senior member

Not my relative, just the people who bought their old house.
    Had dinner with them and a former neighbor who was telling them about what has been done to their house. The whole thing was like a 40-50k process and involved lifting it onto a huge concrete slab with a crane from the street (it wasn't one of those ones that come in pieces that are plastered together on site...they literally imported the whole thing from italy)