Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

Oh, I remember someone had problems with his hearing. Was this you, impolyt? IIRC you heard nearly nothing a couple of months ago... How are you now? Better?

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

yeah I can't hear anything still... but realistically I think it's not going to hinder me to the point of incapability, no more than anything else in daily life- and well, I'm still alive, so it's not that bad. Once you can't hear and move to a foreign country, you figure out that a huge majority of communication is non-verbal anyway, and if you're not dumb you can figure things out real time anyway, words are just words.

I figure at the entry level, it's mostly independent work til they yell at you to do something, which I can hear. I wouldn't last long enough to want to advance too highly and grab more stations, I'm looking at it a different way- I want to have some sort of viewpoint on a kitchen as it happens, and I'm a fast learner and am good at grabbing practical info from context - that's my takeaway.

Someday I want to open some sort of food/drink establishment, and nothing about that is decided, but I figure it'd be helpful to know both the front and the back of the house in building block terms before I get too cocky. I could open a 'french' restaurant in Seoul right now and hire somebody like Kyle to cook, and we'd make good money, but I am a control freak and a good planner, and I think I need to know what looks right and wrong in a kitchen in my own eyes...

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Yeah I miss your mom.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

This.

Also, four minutes doesn't seem long enough.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

Oh, that sucks. Hope you'll hear every single noise again, soon.

6. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

Right, unless you're getting your oven up to 800+, 4 minutes won't do it. With the typical oven topping out at 500, you'll need at least 7-8 of cook time.

I also like to give the pie a shake or two to make sure it's not sticking before actually throwing it on the stone.

On a side note, I'm going to be roasting a lamb leg next week, any recommendations on how to cook it?

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

How do you usually cook it?

8. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

Trim off most of the fat and silver skin, allow it to come to room temp, poke holes all over it with a paring knife and stick a garlic, rosemary and olive oil mash in there. Throw that on a roasting rack and baste with some Pinot Noir at 400. I'd like to impart more flavor inside the meat however- dry brine?

9. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I wouldn't baste it and would probably rub the herbs on the outside rather than inserting, but as long as you're letting it come to room temp and then letting it rest sufficiently after cooking that sounds good to me. I would throw some eggplant cubes in there too and make a sauce with some stock while it is resting.

Have now decided to make leg of lamb this weekend.

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I want to roast one very slowly, at like 175, then let it rest a bit and broil it at the end. I'll post results when I get around to it, unless shibbel will guinea pig for us.

11. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

I might give the low temp method a try, time permitting.

Piercing and stuffing the meat adds a ton of flavor, but it is a bit unsightly, which is why I'd like to avoid it. I've found with just an oil, herb and salt rub the flavor doesn't run as deep. I mentioned a dry brine, what are the thoughts on this for lamb? Was thinking of giving it a rub down, and throwing it in the fridge for a day or so uncovered, then bringing to room temp before roasting. Works great when I roast chickens.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

i'm not sure you could walk into a "name" place and find work. but the level right below is possible, and you'd probably learn more. and yes, i think that in most cases this is a better solution than cooking school. at least you'll find out right away whether you hate it ... rather than after you've dumped $30,000 to $40,000 into it.

having hearing problems and having worked some in restaurants, i think they would be more of an advantage than a disadvantage. at least y ou don't have to listen to the really awful music that dominates most kitchens.

13. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

four minutes for a pizza only works if you've got an 800-degree oven. for us plebes, it takes 8-10 minutes at a well-preheated 500 degrees.

14. mustardontoast

mustardontoast Active Member

Has anyone tried shirataki noodles? Was at whole foods earlier today and thought about picking some up.

15. otc

otc Senior member

How can I learn to do things like break down a chicken?

Sure, I can get passable results by watching some youtube videos, but I live alone and don't really want to buy enough chickens to get myself up to speed (and I'd be worried about cultivating bad habits/weird techniques)....I probably wouldn't go through a chicken a week if it was the only meat I cooked.