Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. otc

otc Senior member

This is what I do...although the two liter at my store costs like 10 cents more than the one liter so it seems stupid...the problem is that if you crack one open to make one gin and tonic (or more often, a mount gay and tonic), you end up with a 75% of a bottle of flat tonic a week later when you decide you want another.

At that point I suppose I might as well get the fancy tonic since one bottle of that costs the same as the (mostly wasted) liter of regular tonic.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I have one of those too, can't use it. Carbonated drinks from soda stream give me horrific abdominal cramps, even just one or two. Sits in the cupboard now... but I want to bring it out again to try making Heston Blumenthal's fish and chips sometime.

4. Piobaire

That's interesting. Have you tried not so many pumps?

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

yeah, I am not sure what it is. There's definitely a difference in the style of carbonation that the SodaStream gives as opposed to pre-bottled carbonated stuff - I was buying it hoping the bead style would be small and effervescent like champagne or Pellegrino or something like that, but forcing the air in like that temporaneously gives it a much larger bead than even a Coke and doesn't really carbonate much of the drink, it still feels mostly flat - just a few huge bubbles here and there. The former is pleasant to drink, and the latter makes you belch like a frog, or in my case, sits in my stomach stabbing away at me all night.

6. Piobaire

Huh. That's interesting too. Ours actually gives a pretty fine bead, and when you pour, a foam rather like champs. All I've ever used is the diet tonic so not sure if the various syrups impact it differently.

7. alexg

alexg Senior member

Update on the Eleven Madison mozzarella ice cream. I went there yesterday and the pastry chefs looked like they might laugh when they heard me ask if I could do it sans Pacojet. They said a blender could possibly work or I could try it in a regular ice cream maker and see if it turns out gross. I'll probably attempt it at some point and update again.

8. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

Anybody ever cook Thai noodle dishes at home? I'm struggling a little bit with getting the noodles to the correct level of done. Made drunken noodles tonight, stir fried in a large and well-seasoned cast iron skillet, and the noodles came out pretty chewy, despite the preliminary soaking. I've run into this problem before. Tips?

9. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Is it best to make crab cakes the night before, so they have time to adhere? My mother says that this is what she's done in the past, but we are making the recipe from the Ad Hoc book and nowhere does it mention doing so.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

11. dacox

dacox Senior member

What noodles are you using? They should be soft/cooked though before adding them to the wok or skillet. I'd say just do a quick youtube search of some street vendors making noodles to get an idea of the texture if you haven't seen them do it already. I was going to post some videos showing the texture of the noodles, but I can't access youtube and my links were working.

12. b1os

b1os Senior member

Whatcha mean? You've got roasted pumpkin seeds? Eat them as a snack, throw them in a salad, use them as garnish... If you like the taste, get some Steirisches Kürbiskernöl (Austrian pumpkin seed oil of the "Steiermark"). It's a really precious oil. Almost looks like pistacchio oil, if not more intense - it's that green. Great for colouring dough etc. , too.
    If you've got a pumpkin and want to use the seeds in it, you can roast them. Robuchon uses them as garnish, not sure whether you can eat them (but I guess so..). You can also use the other stuff, the "pulp" around the seeds, for desserts.
    All in all pretty healthy stuff, those seeds.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

13. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

PSA: There's an interesting interview with Rene Redzepi on BBC World News' Hardtalk today.

14. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

Wide thai/viet rice stick noodles. Well shit, I could have sworn you were supposed to soak them but not precook. I'm not sure where I got this notion, but I've been holding onto it for years. Thanks man.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

holy crap a pacojet is 5k