Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

All of this is of particular interest to me. I've read a bit of Nathan M's work on the subject, and he basically says the same things you're saying (activation and deactivation of enzymes) He points out that collagen is not "gelatinized", as commonly suggested, but rather "denatured". He also mentions how a lot of the science surrounding meat is being re-researched after some vast oversimplifications of the research made during the '70s.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

2. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Just to be clear--and so I can understand exactly what part of the animal we are dealing with--the "knuckle" of the calf is the joint above the shanks? What is the difference. I've been a bit hazy on this for a while.

3. braised

braised Senior member

Collagen is denatured to gelatin through the application of low heat, acidity and time. It is my understanding that these three factors support the enzymatic transformation. I'll have to go back to NM and Ducasse's recipes but neither seems to include acidity in the braise which is surprising to me. Tomato of some form is almost always added for this reason.

B

4. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Would there even be any relevance for the addition of acidity to the sous vide method if the collagen is spending such an extended period of time at temp, under water? I know it's the same with octopus. Conventional recipes for a braise will recommend the addition of an acid, such as tomatoes, but the sous vide octopus recipes I've looked at don't call for it.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Last year a well regarded chef prepared waygu ribs for us. Coffee and miso glazed, 72 hour SV. Not sure the temp. Bed of "dirty" ginger rice (had chicken livers). One of the single most incredible dishes we've ever had. This chef was one of the main people that got us to buy a sous vide machine (Matt and Kyle being the others). He also had an SV veal cheek in his repertoire that was quite incredible too.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

well, i' certainly am glad it wasn't some nobody who prepared a dish like that.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Jarret is translated both to knuckle and shank. It is, in fact, an entire shin in one piece.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

:fistbump:

Redacted the name to protect the innocent.

9. otc

otc Senior member

where the fuck can I buy schweppes tonic water in a can?

I'm sick of these errant liter bottles going flat and I refuse to pay the ridiculous premium for the 6-packs of those tiny ass glass bottles. I see canned tonic on airplanes and at catered events all of the time...why the hell can't I find a case at any normal store (and none of that canada dry bullshit...I'd rather drink my flat schweppes)

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

if I was in America I'd be enjoying some Fever Tree or some other fancy shit that you guys have over there. :eek:

my consolation prize is that the Wilkinson brand stuff here comes in cute bottles and are only 90 cents per, or something... Probably not as good tasting as Fever Tree, but close.
    [​IMG]

11. otc

otc Senior member

that's a lovely looking combo...love me some ten (though at that point I'd just throw in a splash of vermouth and be done :) ) Didn't know that Kyle was in the tonic business too

Never tried the fever tree but I might have to give it a shot. I'm not troubled by the common tonic...but I have done side by side comparisons and I'll take schweppes over my local grocery store brand (which I will take over canada dry) so I know that there really is a difference.

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Is it that hard to drink a liter of water? :puzzled:
    +1 to Wilkinson. No relation to me, however. But Ratboy sent me a bottle of their Ginger Beer and it was damn good.

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

Still having these to try out when I crave a Gin Tonic.

[​IMG]

1724 Tonic Water (Argentina)
    Fever Tree - is this the one you're referring to? (UK)
    Fentimans Fermented Tonic Water (UK)

14. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

There's something so satisfying about popping a little glass bottle of soda for making a mixed drink, rather than tipping a huge 2L plastic bottle. I get what otc is saying. The world just seems like a better place to live.

I like drinking Coke, I drink a few per week - but when making mixed drinks I will buy glass bottled Coke, even if it's not the cane syrup kind. Same premise, just somehow seems more legit.

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Why not just buy several 1l bottles? Also I can't taste the difference between scweppes and fever tree oe at least not a difference worthy of the price difference