Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

yesterday my dad tried to open a bottle of prosecco it had a regular cork, not the one you see with champagne. The bottle exploded when my dad tried to open with a corkscrew. Any idea why?

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I've seen some muscats with a non-agglomerated cork, but never a Prosecco. Weird.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  3. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I have one. It's okay. I rarely ever use non-stick cookware, though...unless I am making an omelette. What do you want to use it for?

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

+1 ... i think those were generally "sharp knee" comments because it's so widely available and has been for so long. main-line veuve isn't bad, even for the price if you can get it around $35 or so. and the prestige cuvees can be awesome. the vintage 1995 was one of the best i've had. and the grande dame bottlings are always terrific. i think i still have one left.

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

I was just curious. The only time I use our non-stick one is when preparing eggs, too. Rarely when heating leftovers up. I was watching Pepin's omelette video and it hurt seeing him scratching the fork in the pan. Then I read the comments.
    Would you prefer it over a "classic" teflon one?

6. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I like teflon. I have a 10 inch one specifically for making omelettes, and that is all I ever use it for. Of course, a well seasoned stainless steel pan will resist sticking just as well as one that is teflon coated.

And, for what it's worth, I usually use a small rubber spatula to mix the omelette, as opposed to the bowl of a metal fork.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Stainless is not seasonable, bro.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

actually, one Champagne house style that I may not like is Krug :(. I was recently at a tasting where the GC and a number of vintage offerings were poured, and they all tasted like they had a bit of oxidation to me. A while ago I had an awful wine that somebody characterized as oxidized, and it was so terrible that the specific taste has lingered in my mind so anything even close to that and I think oxidized and don't like it. But there's no way they all could have been oxidized, so my experience must have been wrong, but now I am a lost and confused sparrow when it comes to things like Krug :(

on the other hand, the '96 and '02 Dom, '02 and '04 Cristal, Salon, and most any vintage of Taittinger Comtes and Comtes Rose are amongst my most favorite things in the world.

9. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Maybe not like cast iron, but I find heating and rubbing salt into my stainless fry pans helps prevent foods from sticking. Really, the only thing I'm trying to help prevent from sticking is fish skin, and this always works with that.

10. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

Any ideas on where to buy hay in NYC?

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

My oxo can do 1 gram but it doesn't register anything in between 1 gram. There are a few professional scales on Amazon that say they can do it. I suppose it depends on just how accurate your dime bags need to be.

12. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

from what I've heard, scales that can read down to the tenths or hundredths are ridiculously expensive actually, it's an exponential price increase. We use them in the clothing business when buying small notions that don't measure even a gram on their own, primarily buttons, snaps, rivets, things like that.

13. alexg

alexg Senior member

I need it for molecular gastronomy type things. A few recipes have said like 1.6 grams of something so I figure I can't just guess at it. Also for coke. Lots of coke. Money isn't a huge issue if the scale will last.

14. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  15. ama

ama Senior member

Doesn't salt on steel cause pitting?