Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

way too busy dude. Writing my 4th cookbook as we speak.

2. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

To be fair to the ideasinfood people, I think that sometimes they come off not so great in writing, but I never got that sense from them in person at dinners they've done. I also think they are pretty good at serving delicious food, rather than techniques. I would imagine that some of the "over-techniqued" blog posts arise out of some of their consulting work for industrial food companies and restaurants, but I'm not totally sure.

I remember the twice-cooked scallop being quite good, but I'm not sure I'd be able to tell it apart from a well roasted one (maybe side-by-side). I suppose that they'd be more forgiving in a high-volume setting, however.

It's timely to share the gem below from eGullet. I think it well represents the height of the masturbatory pseudo science that has overtaken their once useful sous-vide thread since 2008 or so, and easily trumps multiply-cooked scallops or drilled bones.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

3. KJT

KJT Senior member

Jesus... They're just leftovers pal.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

That's good to know. I think the blog medium can make people seem super self important since they are describing things to other people that, in time past, they would have kept to themselves. Also, non-writers tend to think good writing means flowery writing, and when that turns into stuffing bones and gluing them to meat, lots of things can go wrong. Still, glad to hear they are nice folks.

5. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Does anyone know how to get rid of those little black aphids on plants? I've got some chilling on my chives, at the moment.

6. dacox

dacox Senior member

I bought a bottle of aphid control spray from a nursery when they attacked my chili peppers. It was cheap and worked well. I've also heard that spraying them with a vegetable oil/soap/water solution suffocates them but haven't tried it myself.

7. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

bayer three-in-one. just about every common garden pest can be cured/prevented with it.

8. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

For use on non-edible plants only

9. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I sprayed the chives with a solution made from garlic, cayenne and water, based on the recommendation from the owner of a local herb garden. We'll see how it goes.

10. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Do sous vide artichokes taste considerably, or marginally, better than a traditional barigoule?

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

man, you are really burdened by some of life's most difficult problems. :foo:

12. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

I am cracking up over here. What makes your sarcasm and parody so funny is you actually know enough about the techniques/hydrocolloids to make it believable. That's really rare. Most people who mock something, don't really know much about the subject to make the rant believable. On the other hand, it makes me wonder if you actually think this stuff is lame if you've invested so much time into studying or at least reading about it. It's like me making some really accurate and detailed physics jokes. Unless I am some sort of genius, chances are I have studied it extensively ... which would make me a physicist .. the very thing I am mocking.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

13. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

Do you intend to just throw everything in a bag instead of a pot?

14. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

No. I'm just trying new things. And the reason I asked was because I enjoy making artichokes the traditional way, and wanted to know if it would really make a difference.

15. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

In that case, at the very least, you can make them differently and they'll be good, if not necessarily better ( though I've started to think that vegetables cooked sous vide are perhaps the best thing about using it). Because of the vacuum, you don't need to cook them in an acidic environment like in a bariguole or a blanc.
    Sous-vide bariguole is pretty good too, since you don't need to use as much liquid, and what you do use comes out more artichokey, if that makes sense.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011