Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

No, it sears up fine. You just undercook the fish a little in the water, and cook it skin side down in a very hot pan for one minute. The reason it works well is that the fillets are thick enough that they don't overcook in the pan, and the skin crips well since it is already cooked and warm.

2. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Nice. If I can find some good striped bass tomorrow, I will try it. 60°C for 10-15 minutes?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

3. itsstillmatt

Cook it at 55 until it hits 45 in the center. Probably 15 minutes or so, but better if you have a thermometer.

4. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

He'd need foam tape also to use the thermometer, right?

5. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

6. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

What's the point of discussing cooking techniques like SV if you guys can cook every protein so easily and perfectly with a pan/grill? It's kind of funny, you are the ones who brought up SV then when people talk about it, you do a 180 and say "SV is for suckers"

7. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

=

8. itsstillmatt

I'm not sure I understand this line of reasoning. What I mean is that sous vide is not just for making sure things are cooked to the right temp, it is another way of cooking that gives different sorts of results. You can cook things "perfectly" many different ways, and the outcomes will be different. Which you prefer will be your choice, of course.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Sous vide is a great cooking method and there are some foods that, IMO, cannot be cooked more perfectly than in a circulator. But SV is not the only cooking method, and the people that use it for everything strike me as people who probably can't cook that well. It's better for some things, and superfluous for others. I'd never say SV is for suckers... but I'd say that people that want to cook everything SV are suckers.

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

just sous vide'd a hot dog reconfigured around a drilled aromatic bone reinforced with Activa - 55C for 3 hours, am I a sucker?

11. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

You mean you didn't dip it in LN2 and deep fry it after it came out of the water bath? If so, then sorry, you are a sucker.

12. impolyt_one

hah. one step ahead of you - just ground the entire thing up to a paste at 30C in my Thermomix for 3 hrs and then mixed it with some tapioca flour, spread it on a silpat to dehydrate for 36 hours, and then I plan on frying them up in two days so that they become intensely hot dog flavored hot dog "chicharrons" - this is just a base for many ideas to come - but what if someone with an Asian fusion restaurant actually served, like, chicharrons with the lowest quality S and B shichimi togarashi sprinkled on top as an amuse?

13. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Dude, you gotta get in touch with Stephen Starr with this shit. I see him driving around Philly sometimes. I'll throw myself in front of his S-Class and deliver the message.

14. impolyt_one

tell him you have ideas in food and you need to share them with people.

15. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

this would be perfect if you dry aged the hotdogs for 63.8 days before doing the first step