• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Praxair, airgas, etc. You need a container as well.

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should liquids be cool before adding xanthan gum?

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK. Here's another one. Can corn syrup be used to substitute liquid glucose? I have a tuile recipe that calls for glucose, which I can't find.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It glucose syrup is meant by liquid glucose, I'm pretty sure it can.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I purchase silver or gold strength gelatin sheets? None of my recipes specify which kind, just the quantity of sheets needed.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a very large frame of halibut (~11lb.) with which I plan to make fumet. Would it be advisable to remove the skin and head, or can they be of use in the stock?

Last edited:

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

I have a very large frame of halibut (~11lb.) with which I plan to make fumet. Would it be advisable to remove the skin and head, or can they be of use in the stock?

I wouldn't use skin. The head is fine, but remove the eyes and gills since they give off a bitter flavor.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK. Thanks. Would it be alright to add bones from a striped bass, as well? Does striped bass make good stock?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
FAIK, you're only "supposed" to use bones from flat saltwater fish. But I am not sure why that is.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, it makes good stock. Heads are the best for stock, better than bones. Agree with kyle that gills give a bitter taste, but not eyes. Eyes should be fine.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AFAIK, you're only "supposed" to use bones from flat saltwater fish. But I am not sure why that is.

Yes, it makes good stock. Heads are the best for stock, better than bones. Agree with kyle that gills give a bitter taste, but not eyes. Eyes should be fine.

Thank you. I think I will make a fumet with the halibut alone, and then another with the striped bass. I also have a pink snapper carcass, which I assume will be alright to use as well. The halibut is about five feet long. I'm sure I'll have fun cutting that up.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

AFAIK, you're only "supposed" to use bones from flat saltwater fish. But I am not sure why that is.

Two reasons, I think. First, French haute cuisine really revolved around turbot, sole and brill for a long time, with salmon being another acceptable fish. Only later on did rouget, bass etc move from the provincial tables to the grand ones. Because of that, their fish was either ***** or flat saltwater, so flat saltwater it was. A lot of French fish stuff, including fillet knives, seem to assume that round fish don't exist. Second, and more importantly, flat saltwater fish are all mild and lean, which is what you need in a fish fumet. Other lean, mild fish are fine, just not *****. Dory makes the best stock, fwiw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads