• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

makker

Reaction score
tumblrliq2cfhotv1qe49wp.png

I'm a novice at cooking but could someone advise me on how to make this dish? Especially interested in how the sauce is made, I'm afraid mine would be too thick and *****.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What should I do with a bushel of fresh Tarragon?

ErnestoG.

Reaction score
what is the general consensus about taking a marinade you used for pork chops and boiling it to make a sauce? should i just put some marinade aside for this purpose before putting the meat in?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what is the general consensus about taking a marinade you used for pork chops and boiling it to make a sauce? should i just put some marinade aside for this purpose before putting the meat in?

as long as you re-boil, it's safe. not generally a very good idea flavor-wise, though.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

strew it on a bed and roll on it.

Well, I've been giving it to my Persian friends, I guess they eat a grip of fresh herbs. Maybe I'll try rolling in it too. Stuff grows like crazy.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

Well, I've been giving it to my Persian friends, I guess they eat a grip of fresh herbs. Maybe I'll try rolling in it too. Stuff grows like crazy.

I love a few sprigs of it in salads, be they green or meated.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
honestly? one of the greatest recipes ever (IMHO) is a real green goddess dressing. brilliant with all kinds of seafood and vegetable salads. and it does use some tarragon! (and salted anchovies). (duck edina, incoming span).

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great with lobster, crab and shrimp as well. Stick any leftovers in white wine vinegar.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good with
acidic foods and flavors (e.g., citrus)
beets
carrots
cheese (esp. goat, ricotta)
chervil
chicken
chives
eggs
fennel bulb
fish
French cuisine
grapfreuit
lemon
lime
lobster
melon
mushroom
mustard
parsley
potatoes
poultry
sauces (béarnaise!!)
shellfish
spinach
tomatoes
vinegar
(and a bunch of other non-bold stuff)

avoid:
basil
desserts
oregano
rosemary
sage
savory
sweet dishes

e.g.
tarragon + anise + celery seeds
tarragon + chicken + lemon
tarragon + orange + seafood

Source: Flavor Bible

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great with lobster, crab and shrimp as well. Stick any leftovers in white wine vinegar.

OK, I'm batching it tonight. MAybe I'll make myself some Crab w/ tarragon, any suggestions for a simple (really simple, not matt simple) way to do this? I'll likely grab a whole crab from tokyo and maybe some sourdough. I like this above with a bit of curried mayo, maybe modify the mayo to include the herb and basically role with a psuedo-bearnaise?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

OK, I'm batching it tonight. MAybe I'll make myself some Crab w/ tarragon, any suggestions for a simple (really simple, not matt simple) way to do this? I'll likely grab a whole crab from tokyo and maybe some sourdough. I like this above with a bit of curried mayo, maybe modify the mayo to include the herb and basically role with a psuedo-bearnaise?

I would open the crab, scoop out the yellow stuff from the head and mix it with the mayo, then add curry and tarragon. Stir that into the crab meat and maybe mix in some grated granny smith apple with the water pressed gently out of it. It would be good to eat that with a watercress salad.

This, which is decidedly not simple, is basically exactly what I just described, but deconstructed and layered with tomato and with a little avocado. Crab, curry and tarragon is an awesome combo. Add avocado if you like as well. It is great with the above and gives a nice texture.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tarragon and chicken go very well together - whether it's a roasted chicken with tarragon or a chicken salad with tarragon. Did anyone mention bearnaise sauce?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads