Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

i'm old gomey, and very, very proper. plus, my true identity is well-enough known on this board that i live in fear of having anything i type here show up on some wanker's blog.

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

good comparison. though as a matter of religious faith i do not believe in the possibility of "overbuttering."

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Preach the good gospel brother!

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

"you know they call him 'Russel and Love Muscle' on that other site?? How rude. Why he chooses to stay there instead of listen to us compare Keller's books to the stones that Moses raised as commandments is beyond me."

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Alright, so my pho is a bit weak, it's just not beefy enough. It has a nice light marrow taste but it's lacking the fullness that really ties everything together. The color is also a bit of a sickly brown and not the darker burnt umber of thicker emulsified broth or more transparent mahogany of clear broth that good pho has. I suppose the color differences are a result of the temperature they have the broth sitting at, I like the flavor and silken texture of the cloudier pho broths, though the color is not as appealing as the places that clarify the stock and leave it at a whisper simmer so that the stock comes out clear brown.

I think I took about 6 lbs of beef leg bones (in hindsight the ends didn't really give much marrow and so I might've effectively only had 3 lbs of marrow bone in there) plus 4 nice meaty oxtails. The seasoning seems okay, I tweaked it a bit. I am still debating on whether I need to add the fish sauce, MSG, or something else to top off the umami so the broth rolls around the tongue and goes down the gullet fuller than it does now, it's water-y feeling.

It's pretty obvious i need more beef flavor, so my question is - how good of an idea would it be to use ground beef for flavoring my stock? I say this because the recipes I have researched call for a brisket or some other big whole piece of beef but 1) beef is pretty expensive in my parts, thinking of getting a huge costco 4lb'er for like 10 bucks and throwing it in there... and 2) it seems logical to me that since the beef is ground, the increased surface area and smaller pieces means it'll be easier to extract flavor? I realize there will be a ton of fat to skim off, but how does my ground beef idea sound?

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

It sounds good the second reason you give is spot on

7. alexg

alexg Senior member

Does anyone have any advice for making mayonnaise in a Vitamix? I tried twice using Thomas Keller's recipe but both times it ended up a liquidy mess and the eggs started cooking before it thickened.

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Ime, blenders get too hot after running a few minutes. Food processors work better.

9. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Mayonnaise is fairly simple done by hand. Why bother with a blender?

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

even more simple with an immersion blender (3 min mayo. none of this pouring little by little). a little less easier with a hand blender.

i'm sure if you adjust temperature settings with the vitamix (lower it) it'll turn out better

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

OK, what is the difference between an immersion blender and a hand blender? I generally use my immersion blender for mayo, though sometimes I just whisk.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

hand blenders have a whisk that mixes food. immersion blenders have a kind of fan like device that chops the food while mixing it i guess they're kind of like a hand held food processor where as a hand blender is an electric whisk

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Immersion blender = you pureeing a sauce in the pan
    Hand blender = housewife getting lumps out of pancake batter

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Stop that. Hand blender's are excellent for a number of tasks where traditional stand blenders have difficulty. Whipped cream, for one. Mayo, for another.

And, yes, generally you wouldn't be dipping a hand blender into a hot pan. Or a cold pan for that matter.

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

It's pretty easy to whip cream by hand.