• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Duck is ver versatile. Serve it with whatever you like.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this your first time cooking a duck breast? If so, I'd make my first in a cast iron skillet. I think it comes out nicely that way. Plus, you can make a sauce afterwards with all the lovely pan sucs.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, it's my first time. And I still have to get a cast iron skillet. I will sear it in a steel pan. I definitely want to do it the sous vide way.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgm9128
Is this your first time cooking a duck breast? If so, I'd make my first in a cast iron skillet. I think it comes out nicely that way. Plus, you can make a sauce afterwards with all the lovely pan sucs.

Why would you cook duck breast in a cast iron skillet? You aren't searing it, you're rendering the fat at medium-low heat.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Why would you cook duck breast in a cast iron skillet? You aren't searing it, you're rendering the fat at medium-low heat.

Because that's where I choose to cook duck breast, and it is where I get the best results. Problem?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Because that's where I choose to cook duck breast, and it is where I get the best results. Problem?

Other than the fact that it doesn't make much sense, no problem whatsoever.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Other than the fact that it doesn't make much sense, no problem whatsoever.

What's wrong, buddy? You've got an attitude today.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, for me, personally, I find that using a cast iron skillet enables a much more consistent result with cooking duck, as I find it holds heat better, and more evenly, than a regular aluminum pan. I tried cooking a duck breast in a regular skillet, and didn't get nearly as nice a crust or sear as I do in my cast iron. But, maybe that's just me.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, for me, personally, I find that using a cast iron skillet enables a much more consistent result with cooking duck, as I find it holds heat better, and more evenly, than a regular aluminum pan. I tried cooking a duck breast in a regular skillet, and didn't get nearly as nice a crust or sear as I do in my cast iron. But, maybe that's just me.
Please, listen to kwilk. You aren't getting a better sear, because you aren't searing it. You are melting the fat. You may feel it is more even, even though cast iron is not more even heating than aluminum, but that is just a belief. THat's not to say you shouldn't use it, but it just cannot be for the reasons you mention.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Please, listen to kwilk. You aren't getting a better sear, because you aren't searing it. You are melting the fat. You may feel it is more even, even though cast iron is not more even heating than aluminum, but that is just a belief. THat's not to say you shouldn't use it, but it just cannot be for the reasons you mention.

Yes. I know that I am melting the fat and not searing. That's why I cook it, skin down, on medium-low heat, after having heated the pan on medium-high. I've cooked more duck breasts than anything else, so I'm fairly set with using my cast iron, because, as I said, it produces the best results. For me, at least.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by b1os
Yep, it's my first time. And I still have to get a cast iron skillet. I will sear it in a steel pan. I definitely want to do it the sous vide way.

Do you have a sous vide machine? If not check out this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=232264

I documented my try at sous vide duck on the stovetop.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Cool article. Debunks my preconceptions.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, interesting article.

Nope KJT, I've got no sous vide machine. I will try it out the way described in the blog post.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning the article. I knew I had seen something like that around here.
I will try it out as matt pointed out. First rendering it, then sous-vide, then crisping it. How long should the rendering take? I do not have any experience with duck breasts. Marinating before rendering, right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads