1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. VKK3450

VKK3450 Distinguished Member

Yup and yup.

I'm going to try a ricotta cheesecake next time. I had some while in LA back in May and it nearly changed my life.

Couple of things that have worked well for me (some learned from Alton Brown);

Consistency;

Blend THOROUGHLY and scrape the sides of the bowl repeatedly while blending
    Ricotta is great

Cracks

Add a teaspoon of cornstarch to your mix before baking
    Let it cool slowly. A lot of cracking happens due to the quick temp change

K

2. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

The whole thing basically solidifies. If I microwave it for a little bit, it melts and is liquid again, but will crystallize overnight. It's not a huge inconvenience, I can just stick it in the microwave, but I'd prefer to not have to.

I hate this shit...I have some honey (nothing fancy but better than average...and probably organic or single flower or something) that is doing this. It took a while to get there at first but now it is exhibiting the same behavior you describe...solidifying the next day. In the winter my apartment is reasonably cold...but its kind of hot in here right now and it is still sitting there all crystallized

It wouldn't be that big of a deal...except that I don't own a microwave and melting it back in warm water is slow.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Stylish Dinosaur

It has a very distinct odor. Almost like vinegar. Is that what they use to clean it?

No, that is the smell of piss, probably.

[​IMG]

4. KJT

KJT Distinguished Member

It probably crystalizes because the moisture content is dropping, call it evaopration. Think about salt water, when you evaporate or otherwise remove the water it forms into cool little crystals (what my people call salt). Evaporate cane juice and you have sugar. I can't think that it's different with honey.

When you heat the honey next, add a table spoon of water and stir it in. I'd bet it doesn't crystalize as fast.

Braised

I hate this shit...I have some honey (nothing fancy but better than average...and probably organic or single flower or something) that is doing this. It took a while to get there at first but now it is exhibiting the same behavior you describe...solidifying the next day. In the winter my apartment is reasonably cold...but its kind of hot in here right now and it is still sitting there all crystallized

It wouldn't be that big of a deal...except that I don't own a microwave and melting it back in warm water is slow.

Adding a little water seems to have worked. It stayed liquid overnight!

5. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Every single honey I've ever bought - from wildflower to acacia to pumpkin blossom to orange blossom to lavender to rosemary to fennel blossom - has crystallized after opening the jar and not using it relatively quickly. I don't know if it's a minuscule amount of water that is lost that allows that to occur or what.

6. b1os

b1os Distinguished Member

Every single honey I've ever bought - from wildflower to acacia to pumpkin blossom to orange blossom to lavender to rosemary to fennel blossom - has crystallized after opening the jar and not using it relatively quickly. I don't know if it's a minuscule amount of water that is lost that allows that to occur or what.
    That's what I was talking about, it is natural. Though I have to say that it doesn't happen to every type of honey. I've got some lavender honey that is open for a couple of months. No crystallization at all and it even is organic. On the contrary, we had some honey from a friend's father who's got a bee stock and we got some in a big plastic bucket. It crystallized really fast. And I think it wasn't organic.
    Adding water might work, but doesn't crystallized honey mostly work, too?

7. b1os

Does someone know which pans Chef John uses (foodwishes guy)?

8. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

Really? I suspect that this is all climate then because I've been nursing a 5lb jug of honey from Costco for some time now, and outside of a little crystallization on the spout where the honey actually pours out, its still as liquid as the day I bought it, which was a while ago.

9. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

How long do y'all keep cured meat products in the refrigerator?

I have a boneless jamon serrano that is cut into two big chunks, each individually sealed in a Ziploc - it's been there since Xmas. My impression is that it ought to still be good even though it seems to be forming a nasty white mold of sorts on the outside - Though obviously I'd cut off the "rind" til I got to nice red meat underneath. But my wife thinks I'm nuts and refuses to eat it.

Along the same lines, I also have a couple of thicker slices (maybe 3/16") pancetta that I bought a while back, maybe a month or six weeks ago, just hanging out. It looks fine, though maybe it's lost a touch of color - no moldiness or anything though. It's similarly been in a ziploc.

I've been under the impression that these things age forever anyways, the jamon in particular, so is there harm in using them in cooking even though they've been around for a while?

At the risk of sounding like I'm just talking to myself, I have sort of an answer on this question - although my ham was looking pretty sorry in a plastic bag in the back of my refrigerator, with white mold growing all over it, I trimmed off the mold and served the ham last night for dinner. It was delicious, and I ate a lot of it, and I have not vomited or shit any water yet, and to the best of my knowledge, neither have any of my guests.

It's been over six months since I bought it.

10. b1os

What would you serve with duck breast?

11. mgm9128

mgm9128 Distinguished Member

I usually serve it with spinach or chard and some mushrooms. Chanterelles will go nicely.

12. KJT

KJT Distinguished Member

Lentils can be nice.

13. braised

braised Senior Member

Lots of red wine

14. mgm9128

mgm9128 Distinguished Member

Lots of red wine
    This, as well.

15. b1os

Lentils seems to be a good idea as Chef John serves it with lentils, too. I do want to prepare it the way he did it (sous vide), so I might as well try it with lentils. Spinach and mushrooms is nice, too. I will decide tomorrow.