Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

You can use it as "normal" garlic. It has a more mild, sometimes sweet flavour. Though I would try it out before using. I recently bought some and it tasted really intense. Stronger than dried one.

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Picked up two heads of fresh garlic with stalks at the farmers market today. Can I just use it where I would use normal dried garlic, or is there something special I should do with it?

yes. I found mine tasted a bit more oniony though. Still good, just a ilttle different from usual garlic.

3. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Which is the best way to keep sauce warm? Double boiler, perhaps? I made a champagne and crème fraiche sauce tonight that ended up breaking after trying to reheat it, which I know you can't do. I usually keep sauce covered in a small, copper butter warmer, but it will get cold by the time I am ready to use it if I don't keep it over some sort of heat.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Which is the best way to keep sauce warm? Double boiler, perhaps? I made a champagne and crème fraiche sauce tonight that ended up breaking after trying to reheat it, which I know you can't do. I usually keep sauce covered in a small, copper butter warmer, but it will get cold by the time I am ready to use it if I don't keep it over some sort of heat.
    Try a thermos. A small one.

5. KJT

KJT Senior member

Try a thermos. A small one.

This should work:
    [​IMG]

6. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

7. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Is cilantro good with anything other than fish?

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Seriously? Have you never eaten in a Mexican restaurant before?

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

cilantro is great in banh mis

10. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Seriously? Have you never eaten in a Mexican restaurant before?
    I haven't been in years. It's hard to find good Mexican food around here. I just always associate cilantro with seafood; I don't know what else I'd use it with.

11. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

No - it always tastes bad, even with fish.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

No - it always tastes bad, even with fish.
    The first three four times I accidentally had cilantro with pho I thought it was the grossest thing ever. Then I had pho without it and had an epiphany. Best herb ever. I eat it by the fistful. Can't ever have too much cilantro Have you guys had kumatos? I bought some on a whim and they're delicious. So sweet and still has that great umami flavor

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

same here; hated cilantro growing up because the smell of the leaves reminded me of these tropical stink beetles I grew up with in Australia that looked totally innocuous and then when you touched them would make you smell exactly like cilantro leaves for days.

The same way, I had pho for the first time, didn't know what I was tasting (because there was mint, basil, and then lime juice and chili sauce in there too) and got hooked. I also eat cilantro in mounds, I could eat a salad made of it. I am for sure eating the cilantro salad thing at Xi'an tomorrow or the day next.

Anybody who feels cilantro tastes soapy should taste it with something sour, like a few shreds of it in a truly sweet and sour vindaloo, or in pho with the full garnish plate, or a pico de gallo that is loaded with lime juice. I think there has to be some sort of synergistic thing between citrus/vinegar and cilantro that hasn't been explored enough.

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

Cilantro goes well with non-fish food. Ever made Indian food - like Chicken Tikka Masala (okay, this is English-Indian)? Doesn't work without cilantro.
    Also have a nice recipe of a lentil soup with Feta and cilantro. Tastes great!

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I think there has to be some sort of synergistic thing between citrus/vinegar and cilantro that hasn't been explored enough.

Actually... NPR had a story a while back (last few years) very quick, sort of scientific study IIRC that found there was some brain differences in the brains of people who did and did not like cilantro. So basically we're hardwired to like it or not.