Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Your favourite preperation of burgers? Which sauce? Salad? Cheese?

Thinking about this a bit too much.

I prefer no cheese or just some crappy American "cheese". A soft fried egg on the burger makes it divine. I prefer thin patties. Sometimes a pad of butter. A mix of high-fat and low-fat meats. Season well.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I like no cheese, no salad, no egg. Just a smear of dijon.

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    Your favourite preperation of burgers? Which sauce? Salad? Cheese?

check out yesterday's thread on burgers.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

I've seen that one, just didn't want to do some blueberry sauce or so. I now made my burger without cheese, with dijon, salad, tomato and caramelized onion. Turned out really tasty. As posted in WDYELN.

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

the link i posted underneath is the sine qua non of burgers. very simple. no bluebery chipotle for me, either (though it was actually pretty good).

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

Oh, didn't see that. Will have a closer look on that recipe. Yeah, I believe the blueberry one is good, but wanted to try out something more basic as I haven't made burgers in a long time. Turned out Jabba-like (Â[​IMG]mm) but tasty. [​IMG]

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

recipes are really beside the point with burgers. high-fat (at least 30%), coarsely ground, freshly ground (incredibly important), loosely formed (air pockets trap the rendered fat), griddled so they get a consistent crust. can't go wrong.

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

Yeah, just wasn't sure about which sauce, cheese or not and that kind of stuff. So I asked you, as you as Americans are mostly professionals in burger. [​IMG]

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

well-seasoned 70/30 or 65/35 patty, on an egg-washed brioche bun that has enough resiliency to bounce back after a couple squishes. The egg wash helps keep at least some of the bun from dissolving in the hand before you get to the last bite.

Cheese - smoked gouda, Emmentaler, cheap old Tillamook cheddar if you're in America; anything that melts at least halfway. Crumbled blue cheese is good, but we're getting into fancy territory there...

Raw onions sliced about 1/3" thick, big deli pickle slices sliced lengthwise, rather than chips, and then lettuce and tomato optional. Ketchup and yellow mustard on a burger, for me.

10. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

recipes are really beside the point with burgers. high-fat (at least 30%), coarsely ground, freshly ground (incredibly important), loosely formed (air pockets trap the rendered fat), griddled so they get a consistent crust. can't go wrong.
    So beef and coffee should be freshly ground? I like different toppings on different burgers. The bun and how thick the patty is makes a difference to what I want with it. Majority of the time , spicy mustard, ketchup, pickles and chopped onion, no slices on a lightly buttered and grilled bun. Now for the random question. If I don't use the whole onion is it better to store the unused portion wrapped up in the refrigerator or left out? Does it matter?

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

In my experience, the Heston Blumenthal method of grinding and shaping patties takes burger to where they ought to be. Lots of work, but worth it. Wouldn't do it for myself, but if I were having a party...

12. b1os

b1os Senior member

Despos: I've learnt from my mother that it stores best in a closed glas. Like an old marmelade glass or so. Not sure whether it's the perfect solution, but it works. How do you season your burgers? Do you season the whole meat or just the surface? I tried to do it that way ( http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/...t-someone.html ) and he salted and peppered the surface. Did taste good. But I guess there are also many who season the whole meat. As always, some people swear on 25%+ fat in the meat, others on 15-20% etc. - taste is different for everyone. [​IMG] Had 25% meat cause the butcher had 25% meat and 5% beef. Next time I'm gonna mix it a bit up. Was grinded fine; a good place to eat burgers here in Hamburg, as I can recall, grinds rougher. I like that better. It's nearly impossible to get good burger buns here in Hamburg. No bakery (at least none I am aware of) does them. The packed ones do taste and feel just not good. Gonna have to ask where that burger place gets the buns from.

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

b1os, first you gotta get some more BTUs somehow - your meat is always grey and dreary looking.

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

15. KJT

KJT Senior member

Picked up two heads of fresh garlic with stalks at the farmers market today. Can I just use it where I would use normal dried garlic, or is there something special I should do with it?