• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put my frittata under the broiler this morning and it did this.
6qxUWl.jpg
Why? Is it supposed to be doing that? I had to turn it in the oven to prevent one side from burning. It turned out nicely; it was light and airy, yet crisp, and the crust was still somewhat elevated by the time I plated it.
TEGwUl.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgm9128
I put my frittata under the broiler this morning and it did this.

6qxUWl.jpg

Why? Is it supposed to be doing that? I had to turn it in the oven to prevent one side from burning.

It turned out nicely; it was light and airy, yet crisp, and the crust was still somewhat elevated by the time I plated it.

TEGwUl.jpg

What are you doing to make these?

The only fritatas I have made are thicker baked egg dishes.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why did you have to turn it? All of the egg besides the surface is stocked when you put it under the grill. The grill just finishes the surface (about 10-20 seconds). I have read that the frittatas surface should not be brown at all...?! Besides that, I've just made frittata twice yet. It never did what yours did in the pic.
tongue.gif
Kinda looks like some puff pastry.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
The only fritatas I have made are thicker baked egg dishes.
I'm not sure if these technically qualify as a "frittata"; they are almost more like a soufflÃ
00a9.png
. I whisk up three eggs, adding a bit of cream, and then pour into a hot pan with melted butter on low heat. I cook the eggs shortly, until just starting to set underneath, then I add lardons of bacon and grated Gruyère atop. Then, I slide the pan in the oven, directly under the broiler (my oven has three settings for the broiler: "Maxi Broil", "Mini Broil", and "Conv. Broil"...I use "Maxi Broil"). After about a minute, the eggs have puffed up and browned on one side more than the other, so I turn the pan and let the other side cook for another minute or so. This morning is the puffiest my eggs have ever been. It gave the crust a nice golden brown, while the rest of the eggs didn't overcook or become chewy.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by b1os
Why did you have to turn it? All of the egg besides the surface is stocked when you put it under the grill. The grill just finishes the surface (about 10-20 seconds).
I have read that the frittatas surface should not be brown at all...?!

Besides that, I've just made frittata twice yet. It never did what yours did in the pic.
tongue.gif
Kinda looks like some puff pastry.

To clarify, I didn't turn the eggs as in flip them over, I rotated the pan because one side puffs up more than the other. I'm not sure why; maybe my broiler is hotter in one spot than another.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
To clarify, I didn't turn the eggs as in flip them over, I rotated the pan because one side puffs up more than the other. I'm not sure why; maybe my broiler is hotter in one spot than another.
Yep.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, normally you mix the eggs, s&p, the ingredients like onions (sautÃ
00a9.png
ed before), other veggies, bacon or so - no cream - in a bowl. You heat the pan, put butter inside. Don't let the butter foam. Change heat to low (lowest). Add the mixture while stirring. Wait until the egg stocked and only the surface is non-stocked. Put it under the grill until the surface stocked, not browned, just a few seconds. That's how my italian cook book by Marcella Hazan explains frittata.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, normally you mix the eggs, s&p, the ingredients like onions (sautÃ
00a9.png
ed before), other veggies, bacon or so - no cream - in a bowl. You heat the pan, put butter inside. Don't let the butter foam. Change heat to low (lowest). Add the mixture while stirring. Wait until the egg stocked and only the surface is non-stocked. Put it under the grill until the surface stocked, not browned, just a few seconds. That's how my italian cook book by Marcella Hazan explains frittata.

that's pretty much the technique. what you have there looks more like a german pancake or a dutch baby. technically, the reason it looks like that is because you baked it before the eggs were set and in the absence of flour or some other starch to stabilize, the eggs puffed and then collapsed because there was no structure to support it.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your favourite preperation of burgers? Which sauce? Salad? Cheese?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is langoustine roe any good?
rsXXTl.jpg

Not at that point, but if they are still in the eggsack, and not ready to drop, you can put them through a sieve and brush the langoustines with them before cooking. It adds a nice flavor and get the langoustines bright red.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How should I make a quick fumet with the heads and shells?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cmon guys, noone got any advice for me?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your favourite preperation of burgers? Which sauce? Salad? Cheese?
Pretzel bun. If not, then make sure you put lettuce on both sides of the burger and closest to the bun to shield it from the grease/sogginess. I like to use 57 sauce, or a mix of ketchup and worcestershire in my standard burger. Other burgers I use Amora brand moutarde dijon, fine et forte. Smoked cheddar is my cheese of choice. Green leaf lettuce, tomato, thinly sliced red onion and thick cut bacon... and Tony Packo's Sweet-hot pickles and peppers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics