1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I would put a bit of the shiitake you use for the dashi...the bamboo sounds good...you can live without the ginko (though that is my favorite part) but you need something with a similar texture...the fava is OK but a couple edamame may be better. Something sounds odd about putting tofu in there. Perhaps the texture is too similar to the chawanmushi itself? I have had some with a tiny piece of some roasted chestnut. But whatever you do, remember that the custard itself is the main attraction...don't load it up too much with other stuff.

Hmm.. after reading this, I realize my plan made my inherent gaijin-ness obvious.
    I will do some edamame, the shiitake from the dashi, bamboo, and maybe something else. Small amounts. I've heard that the awesome part of chawanmushi is that the custard is so great and a great platform for all the little treats inside.

2. Alter

Alter Senior member

Hmm.. after reading this, I realize my plan made my inherent gaijin-ness obvious.
    I will do some edamame, the shiitake from the dashi, bamboo, and maybe something else. Small amounts. I've heard that the awesome part of chawanmushi is that the custard is so great and a great platform for all the little treats inside.

My inherent gaijin-ness is apparent every day.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

My inherent gaijin-ness is apparent every day.

[​IMG] That's because you're over there in the thick of it. There are no asians within 30 miles of me (when Purdue is on break, that is).

4. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

What types of fish are best for doing en papillote?

I've been throwing carrots, celery, onion or shallot, lemon slices, fresh dill, sometimes asparagus, and white wine in with fish that has been seasoned. Any variations I should add to the list?

5. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

What types of fish are best for doing en papillote? I've been throwing carrots, celery, onion or shallot, lemon slices, fresh dill, sometimes asparagus, and white wine in with fish that has been seasoned. Any variations I should add to the list?
    I like to use tarragon and zucchini instead of the dill and asparagus/celery. I like to do Ruby red trout Grouper Halibut fillet I did rainbow trout last week 1 en papilliote and one sauteed in brown butter... for the smaller fish, I found the brown butter preparation more favorable.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I never cook anything en papillote anymore. It must be a decade. I really should.

7. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I do i t for the super easy clean-up. One knife, one cutting board, and done.

Also good for containing the fish smell when you have a small apartment.

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

there was a good eats show just on papillote. i thought it was pretty good

9. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

I use these:

[​IMG]

I think they are awesome, and they are what I learned on. When you buy them, they look like this:

[​IMG]

The coating, or patina, makes them non-stick. I don't like stainless because they are stick. They are great for other pans, but not frying pans.

I just picked up one of these in a 9.5 in diameter (50% off!). I'm looking forward to trying it out. I expect to use it for high heat searing, but what else? How are they for deglazing and making pan sauces?

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Has anyone ordered from http://www.chefswarehouse.com/ ? They have some items I would really like to order, but always worry about perishable items from new purveyors.

11. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I plan on making tomato sauce today. Was planning on keeping the flavors "fresh" with basil. Unfortunately, there are no seasonal tomatoes at the moment and I was wondering if I could achieve my goal using some canned San Marzanos?

Anyone?

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just picked up one of these in a 9.5 in diameter (50% off!). I'm looking forward to trying it out. I expect to use it for high heat searing, but what else? How are they for deglazing and making pan sauces?

you can, but I don't find it to be ideal. The meat and juices shouldn't stick at all, and there should be little fond. Also, you need to be sure not to scrape away the patina.

I plan on making tomato sauce today. Was planning on keeping the flavors "fresh" with basil. Unfortunately, there are no seasonal tomatoes at the moment and I was wondering if I could achieve my goal using some canned San Marzanos?

Anyone?

yes. Fine. Probably better than 99% of our fresh toms for sauce.

13. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I prefer Muir Glen for canned tomatoes. Definitely better than 99% of fresh out there.

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

15. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Thanks for the answers guys. Ended up with the canned San Marzanos whole peeled. EDIT The sauce turned out amazing.

16. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

I used the same for bolognese today. It's been on the stove for about four hours now, time to eat.

17. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

you can, but I don't find it to be ideal. The meat and juices shouldn't stick at all, and there should be little fond. Also, you need to be sure not to scrape away the patina.

Thanks. That's what I suspected. Used it last night for the first time for some linguiça sausage. [​IMG]

18. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Is it still considered a poached egg if I drop the egg in the water when it's still in it's shell to solidify it, and then crack it into the water after a minute?

19. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Yes, it just makes you a little cheater! [​IMG]

20. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

it's what we do, but wait only about 30 seconds then shock to prevent further cooking (if not planning on cracking immediately). And it's also what Robuchon instructs.