Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Maybe this will pick up and people will like it, maybe not. Either way, I just want an answer to my question.
    Does Dean & Deluca sell foie by the slice/portion?

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I believe so, but I can check sometime. It maybe be a day-to-day thing. I'm certain they sell by the can and usually have 5-8 different types of pate for sale by the slice.

random stupid food question: what is a good non-grill way to cook a sausage? I brought home some good stuff but I'm still not sure of the best way to cook it properly. And Pio's thread is too long.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Thanks Gome. I know they sell whole lobes and they also sell torchon. I just need a slice or two though.

For sausage I usually brown the outside, warm enough to brown it but gentle enough to not break the casing, and then toss it in a low oven to finish. I've also heard of people browing the outside, then tossing a touch of water and a lid to steam it to finish, but IMO that makes the nice sear you got on it softer and less crisp, basically defeating the purpose of searing it int he first place. You could also simmer it in water until it's cooked through and then finish it on the stovetop.

4. why

why Distinguished Member

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

will do with the sausage tonight, thanks.

6. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

Maybe this will pick up and people will like it, maybe not. Either way, I just want an answer to my question.

You're asking questions!? You should be answering questions!

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Pffft. I barely know how to cook, man. If you're looking for answers from me, you're going to need to ask questions that exist within a very small realm of knowledge.

8. BDC2823

BDC2823 Distinguished Member

For sausage I usually brown the outside, warm enough to brown it but gentle enough to not break the casing, and then toss it in a low oven to finish. I've also heard of people browing the outside, then tossing a touch of water and a lid to steam it to finish, but IMO that makes the nice sear you got on it softer and less crisp, basically defeating the purpose of searing it int he first place. You could also simmer it in water until it's cooked through and then finish it on the stovetop.

I don't know if it's the correct way or not but this works for me. I put a sausage in a pan on the stove and cover it with a clear (so I can see it) lid. I rotate it every so often so that the outside browns evenly, but the casing remains in tact. Tossing the lid on lets it cook to the desired temperature quicker.

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

do you cover with water?

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Who knows anything about Canadian foie and how it compares to Hudson Valley? And please don't even mention Sonoma foie. that shit is terrible.

11. romafan

Who knows anything about Canadian foie and how it compares to Hudson Valley? And please don't even mention Sonoma foie. that shit is terrible.

Canadian foie? The answer is staring you right in the face w/ a big tatoo on its leg....

* p.s. I am confused w/ discussion of both foie and sausage. [​IMG] Are you using them interchangably?

12. RedLantern

RedLantern Distinguished Member

^ it suddenly struck me that it is only a matter of time before Pio starts making his own foie . . .

13. romafan

^ it suddenly struck me that it is only a matter of time before Pio starts making his own foie . . .

i think he's working on his liver as we speak

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Canadian foie? The answer is staring you right in the face w/ a big tatoo on its leg....

* p.s. I am confused w/ discussion of both foie and sausage. [​IMG] Are you using them interchangably?

LOL No way. I'm not using sausage for anything. But it looks like Dean & Deluca's foie is Canadian, so I didn't know if it was worth the price or not.

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

do you cover with water?
    A good rule of thumb is three minutes over medium heat, turn and cook for three more. Then cover, turn the heat down and cook another three or so. That should get you close. Now you need to decide whether or not I know what the hell I'm talking about. Kyle- golden gate sells sliced fg, if you need it.