1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razele

Razele Senior member

I'm amazed more people don't buy nice knits, the one area where quality differences are substantially large.

True.

Knitwear is big for me, impossible to find good knits in Australia.

The SNS Herning 'Stark' Looks awesome, as does the fishermans high neck.

2. Arms_Akimbo

Arms_Akimbo Senior member

I often really like the plaid pattens that skate brands use (volcom, analog, rvca, insight). Too bad they have to fit badly, be poor quality, and be over-logo'd

3. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

the sns stuff looks great, shame only the high-necks come in xs

4. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Senior member

Random thought: Polos work well for me since my long arms don't matter with short sleeves and my long torso doesn't matter since they're not expected to be tucked in.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Something that is meticulously made of high grade materials and often involving difficult and timestaking construction methods, does not necessarily translate into greater durability, resistance to deformation, etc... Some one used the phrase "low quality cotton knits that stretch (meaning deform) easily". "stretch easily" does not follow from "low quality". Some of the least expensive knit materials hold their shape remarkably well, while some very high quality jerseys are easily stretched out of shape.

To anyone who asks the question "Will this (X brand) of expensive jeans last longer that Y brand of cheap jeans?" The answer is usually "No", unless we are talking about truly cheap, crappy jeans made of the cheapest denim available (See "Old Navy").

6. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Something that is meticulously made of high grade materials and often involving difficult and timestaking construction methods, does not necessarily translate into greater durability, resistance to deformation, etc... Some one used the phrase "low quality cotton knits that stretch (meaning deform) easily". "stretch easily" does not follow from "low quality". Some of the least expensive knit materials hold their shape remarkably well, while some very high quality jerseys are easily stretched out of shape.

To anyone who asks the question "Will this (X brand) of expensive jeans last longer that Y brand of cheap jeans?" The answer is usually "No", unless we are talking about truly cheap, crappy jeans made of the cheapest denim available (See "Old Navy").

Agreed. A lot of inexpensive clothing can be very durable. My father is a retired cop (a.k.a. full time fisherman) and wears nothing but LL Bean, Cabelas, and stuff from Kohls. He beats the shit out of his clothes and it's amazing how long they'll wear and hold together. I'd wager that many of my pieces would never hold up to what he puts clothing through.

I feel that quality clothing has the ability to wear long, feel good, and keep its appearance. A really fine pinpoint oxford will never last as long as a thick & cheap oxford - which I wore in nearly all my high-school food industry jobs. But it will look great, feel soft, and keep its good looks throughout most of its lifespan. H&M shirts won't fall apart with wear (at least the ones that I had), but wash them once or twice and they look "ehhhh." That's the key difference for me.

7. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

Yes it does!

8. jet

jet Senior member

+1. A good sweater is hard to find.

Usually fit is off (too wide, bad cut, flying squirrel arms, poor cuffs losing shape and flaring out, etc) and they are made with crappy short yarns that pill like crazy. I remember a couple of years ago looking at a br shawl cardigan that pilled with me just looking at it. Also, barneys had prorsum knits on a table alongside bottega knits (I didn't know at first there were two brands on the table) and was wondering why some felt much better than others. Turned out the rough ones were prorsum lolz. I've washed my branquinho wool cardigan and a dries crewneck and both turned out same as before.

i'm starting to notice this as time passes by with my uniqlo stuff as well.

@jet
    theory v-neck at neiman last call (the block)
    $200-250 retail (forgot)
    dark navy, plain, 45cashmere/55cotton
    112 and i get employee discount (30). decent cop or wait for something better?

I really despise theory but I'd rather save 80 bucks than buy something because it was cheap. If you like it go for it.

True.

Must be rough with summer approaching.

9. DLester

DLester Senior member

I am surprised you have much opportunity to wear knits in Brisbane. My brother in law lived there for years and said that it was basically tropical year round.

10. Nil

Nil Senior member

I despise jean shorts. The summer time uniform for so many around here is a V-neck or tank top (usually AA) and cut off jean shorts. It's goddamn atrocious.

11. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

12. Razele

Razele Senior member

Jean shorts = Tobias.

Brisbane is pretty warm most year, however you really do adjust to climate, as 20 Celsius is quite cool to me, which is warm to plenty of people.

Also I work shiftwork, so up early, home late, awake at night.

It does suck though, I wanted the Krane Cyril bomber bigtime, the FW08 was perfect, but it's crazy warm from what the Roden Gray guys tell me, would only use it a few days a year at best.

Going TOJ Moto instead, charcoal leather, minimal detailing.

'Three month' outerwear is usually enough for most weather here.

13. blynch

blynch Senior member

what do people think about Bruno Magli, leather/build quality? Various pairs of shoes at steep discount on yoox right now.

14. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

I'm getting about an 80% fail rate on opening pages and it's rather depressing [​IMG]

15. mulansauce

mulansauce Senior member

what do people think about Bruno Magli, leather/build quality? Various pairs of shoes at steep discount on yoox right now.

They're great for killing your wife.

16. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

They're great for killing your wife.

[​IMG]

17. Lachy

Lachy Senior member

I am surprised you have much opportunity to wear knits in Brisbane. My brother in law lived there for years and said that it was basically tropical year round.

It is, but as soon as we can, we start piling on the winter gear. Candians would be in shorts and tank tops, but we'd be wearing a sweater, jacket, jeans, boots ... It's not because we're that cold, but because its the only chance we've got.

I need to move to a colder climate, anyone out there hiring?

18. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

I want a pair of light pink pants... white always looked a bit off and stark to me. I'll probably wait until spring to find some though.

19. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I want a pair of light pink pants... white always looked a bit off and stark to me. I'll probably wait until spring to find some though.

Scallop pink?

I love AA slim slack cords.

20. KevinT

KevinT Member

I have spent way too much time reading the J Crew thread to not actually own any J Crew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.