• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian SD

Reaction score
What do you guys prefer for thread names (do you even care?)

Part II, Part III, etc. was confusing to me so I thought it'd be confusing to all you guys too, especially since Part II of the discussion thread coincides with Part III of the WAYWT thread. I tagged the previous ones (Old) and took the sequential number off of the current ones.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see a newbie subforum. The small questions thread adn the newb thread isn't the best format for questions.

This way good threads can get stickied, and eventually you can get a faq going up to.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
I thought tornado mart was this tacky canadian warehouse store found in strip malls thats sends out sales flyers constantly to surburbia because of the name until I googled it.

isn't it such an awesome/ridiculous name

even better: the parent company is **** INTERNATIONAL CO. LTD.

also:

http://www.****-int.jp/brand/tornado_mart/image/collection/photo/coollection_photo01.jpg

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
I'd like to see a newbie subforum. The small questions thread adn the newb thread isn't the best format for questions. This way good threads can get stickied, and eventually you can get a faq going up to.
Interesting idea, but concerning what I just asked: do you prefer the Part II, Part III, etc? Or the plain names for currents with (Old) on the previous threads.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The latter (no Part I, II, III, etc.). I guess maybe it would be helfpul to put a note in the first post in each "current" thread indexing the older threads.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah definately the later.

Also for the subforum, it would be a great opportunity for the senior members to post their own random thoughs to help newbs. I would love to see what socal, fuuma, etc has to say about fashion to the audience of someone who lacks style, and I don't see the current forum as somewhere they could do it as.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dangers in creating a noob subforum are (1) it certainly won't stop new guys from posting dumb stuff in the main forum, and moving all those threads requires some hands-on moderation; and (2) most regulars won't bother checking the subforum to respond to the new dude topics.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't really check the newb questions thread now either. When you have something like one question per thread, it allows for old questions to be archived and for older members to skim new questions and answer ones that haven't been asked before.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
The latter (no Part I, II, III, etc.). I guess maybe it would be helfpul to put a note in the first post in each "current" thread indexing the older threads.
Was already done by j, but I went ahead and moved it to the very top of the first post. I agree with your concerns. The first thing that came to my head is "if I was just a poster here and not a mod, I'd never go to the newbie subforum." However, I do like the idea of thread titles being searchable instead of trying to dig through one huge thread, which can be daunting. We even have that system in place that finds similar thread titles when you go to post yours.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
BriadSD, i think the new format is much better.

Sometimes i like to search through the "archive" threads for information but its hard to find the really old ones which arent stickied.
Did you ever see my previous suggestions regarding the naming?

copied from an old post
----------------------
rename all "current" versions of threads to not have any "Part XX". for example:
WAYWT - Photos & Discussion
WAYWT - Photos
Ask a Question, Get an Answer
Recent Purchases

then rename all "archive" versions to be like
WAYWT - Photos & Discussion - Archive 1
WAYWT - Photos & Discussion - Archive 2
WAYWT - Photos - Archive 1
WAYWT - Photos - Archive 2
WAYWT - Photos - Archive 3
Recent Purchases - Archive 1
Ask a Question, Get an Answer - Archive 1

then lock and unpin all archives

finally, create a single pinned thread named

Popular Archived Threads

and in it post links to all the archives mentioned above.

tooshay

Reaction score
It's important to distinguish between a SF Forum newb and a fashion newb. These are different species.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
dun remember but SZ guys were beasting over how cheap it was... not more than 500, if i recall wear that leather with this stuff from dior!
F-W%2009%20018%20%24375.jpg

My second favorite pair of DH jeans. Missed out on a pair that went cheap on Rakuten
frown.gif

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Contemplating spending a lot of money on common projects + drkshdw on ebay in the next couple of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads