Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

It's shipping or tax take your pick.
    How about I remit sales tax on it in my home state? [​IMG]

2. Razele

Razele Senior member

not a fan.
    +1 rob I'd just get trickers.

3. DesignerValet

DesignerValet Senior member

If I purchase something on the internet from a store in a different state but have my friend go to that store to pick up the item and avoid shipping, do I have to pay sales tax in the state that the store is in?

I don't think I should have to but the sales associate tells me I do..

If the item leaves the store in-hand, you have to pay sales tax, as the transaction is being made in-person for all intents and purposes. Only if the item is being directly shipped out (think duty-free) are you granted tax-free status.

4. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

I'm not leaving the store with the item though, I'm having somebody go pick it up for me after I pay for it online and then they're going to deliver it to me. I don't see how it's all that different than having the UPS guy bring it to me.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm not leaving the store with the item though, I'm having somebody go pick it up for me after I pay for it online and then they're going to deliver it to me. I don't see how it's all that different than having the UPS guy bring it to me.

Your friend is your agent, so you are purchasing it in state. If the merchant ships it to your directly, that's a different matter. Also, stop griping about shipping and sales tax. Unless you live in Ontario, (15% taxes) or in Timbuktu ($100 shipping), it's plain cheap and lame.

6. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

I'm not griping about shipping or sales tax, just happened to have a friend who was in the area who could pick up the item for me. Not trying to be cheap or lame either. I'm sure you know, internet sales aren't really tax free as people are supposed to remit the sales tax in their home state. Just trying to save myself some shipping and the sales tax rate in my home state is also better. For the poor college student, that can really add up. Anyways, didn't mean to make a big deal out of it. Carry on [​IMG]

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Is fit criticism any less valid if the poster in question also has bad fits or doesn't post fits?

If fit criticism was logical ad hominem could be brought up, but i feel like it's more subjective and dependent on individual tastes

8. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

Is fit criticism any less valid if the poster in question also has bad fits or doesn't post fits?

If fit criticism was logical ad hominem could be brought up, but i feel like it's more subjective and dependent on individual tastes

Fit criticism IS less valid if the poster in question has bad fits or doesn't post fits. In this case the ad hominem fallacy does NOT apply. The ad hominem fallacy applies in the case where attacking the character of a person making an argument is irrelevant to their argument. In the case of fit criticism, the tastes of the person making fit criticism forms several unstated premises of their "arguments." If you do not agree with a certain person's premises (and premises are SO different among people), it would not be logical to agree with that person's conclusions.

9. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

Fit criticism IS less valid if the poster in question has bad fits or doesn't post fits. In this case the ad hominem fallacy does NOT apply. The ad hominem fallacy applies in the case where attacking the character of a person making an argument is irrelevant to their argument. In the case of fit criticism, the tastes of the person making fit criticism forms several unstated premises of their "arguments." If you do not agree with a certain person's premises (and premises are SO different among people), it would not be logical to agree with that person's conclusions.

How does someone's choice to abstain from posting pictures of their own fits affect the validity of their criticism? Just because someone does not post a picture of their own fits does not necessarily entail that they do not know hwo things should fit. I understand your point of "arguments", but there often come times where there are garments that are obviously ill-fitting.

10. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

How does someone's choice to abstain from posting pictures of their own fits affect the validity of their criticism? Just because someone does not post a picture of their own fits does not necessarily entail that they do not know hwo things should fit. I understand your point of "arguments", but there often come times where there are garments that are obviously ill-fitting.

Did you even read what I wrote?

11. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

Did you even read what I wrote?

yeah. Did you read what I wrote? You said that differences in taste create variations in how people percieve fits. But there are obvious cases where things do not fit the person and what you said nullifies the criticism of a poster who does not post fit pics, based solely on that fact.

12. ryannn

ryannn Senior member

Come at me bro!

13. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

i dont knw if this has been discussed before, but im rather flabbergasted at the price of the latest wvg chinos which is like close to 200 bucks. im not dissing wvg in particular, but maybe also pants from epaulet, etc. i just dont get how pants can cost almost 200 bucks made even with the rarest materials available to mankind. i dont really care if its made in the usa but man, 200 bucks. [​IMG]

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

i dont knw if this has been discussed before, but im rather flabbergasted at the price of the latest wvg chinos which is like close to 200 bucks. im not dissing wvg in particular, but maybe also pants from epaulet, etc. i just dont get how pants can cost almost 200 bucks made even with the rarest materials available to mankind. i dont really care if its made in the usa but man, 200 bucks. [​IMG]

You can buy 1K pants....

15. Gravitas

Gravitas Senior member

So, which one of you did I outbid?
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.