• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
only buy the perfect version of what you want

this is the best advice ever, if you sacrifice any aspects they will probably piss you off until you get rid of the item

people talk about buying suits on sale even though they're the wrong size and "working with them", no, do not do this ****, just buy what works

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My leather Purcells are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. Even more so than my Nike Frees, which I'd previously crowned with that title. I think I could finally be like a sitcom character with my Purcells, since I don't even feel the need to take them off once I'm lounging around my apartment.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spent three hours in a faculty meeting today and half the time was spent thinking about how poorly everyone else's shirts fit.

jaac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
I spent three hours in a faculty meeting today and half the time was spent thinking about how poorly everyone else's shirts fit.

I do this.

Everywhere.

I fall into the newbie tag, and i agree with what both Lel and Razele are saying. Basically trying to do the following.

*save waywt pics that you like.
*read threads about stuff you have no interest in. (i'll never wear workwear but i still read the relating threads, you learn about the fashion industry, fits, manufacture)
*make lists of items you want, preferably with brands/retailers that you've seen an item from. check these retailers for sales pretty regularly.
*talk to other posters about an item if you like it, most of them will have no qualms answering how they sized their jeans etc.

Definately the most prohibitive thing i'm discovering is getting the fit right on items. It's offputting spending money on something you are unsure about, most places will offer returns but that adds another month to when you get to wear it etc.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a cool denim shirt at H&M but the sleeves are too tight.
plain.gif

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Money
i just spent two hours conditioning and adding mink oil to all my leather shoes.

it was sorta fun. and I felt like a man.

Until you read the threads about leather and find out that many believe mink oil to do more harm than good for your boots longevity.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou

I spend faculty meetings listening intently to how we are going to have to do more with less. The custodial staff is no longer emptying our garbage. Our resident jester asked what our F&A was going to. I think that he gets something like $1.8M in grant spending a year. At 48.5& F&A on direct costs, that means that he is paying something like $500K for rent of a space a few miles off campus. For that money, I'd want to telecommute from a sweet corner office in a suite in lower Manhattan. And M&M's - but just the red ones. I think that I am paying primarily for bureaucratic aggravation and a converted coffee room.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, but how do his shirts fit?

ALLCAPS

Reaction score
I will never be able to pull off the Ervell fit ( , _ ,).

Trendy Sing Sing

Reaction score
Raw Denim vans authentics? Just a thought.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I admit I got my style primarily from sf, I got a little carried away in the beginning as my old stuff was really bad. I mostly got everything for cheap though, off buy and sell and ebay. My 30 AA tees were prob 200$ in total, and I use them as tees and undershorts.

I'm at the point now where apart from some basic sweaters, I can go in a lot of directions and I will take the last few posts in big consideration.

Its very hard to find fitted stuff otr though. I have spent many days wandering around stores and boutiques and not getting anything because te fits are either too short or too wide for my 6'3" 36L body.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
I admit I got my style primarily from sf, I got a little carried away in the beginning as my old stuff was really bad. I mostly got everything for cheap though, off buy and sell and ebay. My 30 AA tees were prob 200$ in total, and I use them as tees and undershorts.

I'm at the point now where apart from some basic sweaters, I can go in a lot of directions and I will take the last few posts in big consideration.

Its very hard to find fitted stuff otr though. I have spent many days wandering around stores and boutiques and not getting anything because te fits are either too short or too wide for my 6'3" 36L body.

Why do you need that many tees? To lazy to wash?

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at 7$ each I just bought 20 colored ones and 10whites in diff styles so I can wash them often instead of my more expensive stuff.

I also want to get really good at layering and figure I could use that many so I have more to work with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads