• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was Singular I believe. About a month ago. I will see if I can find it. It deserves an encore.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm more impressed by people who can put together a really great fit with less expensive items than the people who just drape themselves head-to-toe in pricey gear. I think maybe sometimes people will just go out and buy all the SF-approved stuff if they have the means without first learning how to develop their own personal sense of style.

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I'm more impressed by people who can put together a really great fit with less expensive items than the people who just drape themselves head-to-toe in pricey gear. I think maybe sometimes people will just go out and buy all the SF-approved stuff if they have the means without first learning how to develop their own personal sense of style.

sorry, I'm stalking you this evening but +1

you can't buy style.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK

b-b-but my chukkas!!

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I think maybe sometimes people will just go out and buy all the SF-approved stuff if they have the means without first learning how to develop their own personal sense of style.

Lol you think?

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No ****! Shall I burn my Clark DBs and Quoddy's?
frown.gif

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To expand, it's in part our fault. We tend to shove the same generic advice down every new member's throats (chucks/dbs/boatshoes/levis511). I tried really hard in this thread to take a different approach and actually give a more detailed and hopefully helpful response. I think that, while it's easier to do so, offering generic advice to every new member is in the long run, not helpful. I think the most important thing is to let people try to develop their own sense of tastes and styles, which I honestly don't think is reinforced at all. It doesn't help the person grow their own sense of style, or what they want to achieve. Advice is just advice, and suggestions are just suggestions. So many people are relatively clueless as to how they want to dress, which is in part why advertising in the fashion industry (especially at the mall brand level) does so well. In that way, I don't see how us (as a forum) telling someone how to dress is any different from what A&F or True Religion do to their customers, it's the same village on two sides of a river. It's become evident in the stagnation of WAYWT. I'm still trying to understand why there's so more diversity in the SuFu WAYWT threads compared to the SF ones. Money is a factor, for sure, but then I read so many posts about people buying up the W+H boots which are by no means cheap (far more expensive than I can afford). I think there's a close minded attitude concerning different or new looks, and while it's understandable that a lot of things in "fashion" come off as "weird" I think the attitudes (and consequent demeaning/attacking posts) is detrimental to the creativity of WAYWT. I believe someone said that one reason chris has mostly stopped posting is because someone criticized his outfit (as in outright insulted him) and if that's true, it makes me kinda sad. And no, I don't think I'm an exception. I'm just as guilty as other people, but (hopefully as evidenced in the thread I linked) I am trying to encourage a more individualized approach to giving advice to new members. FYI it's a complicated subject and I think I only really touched on a few points of it.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Smith makes the most attractive looking footwear I've ever seen. Would love a black pair of PS boots and a blue pair of shoes.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree Lel, which is why I challenge people for example, "What are college essentials?"

"Clark DBs."

Why?

It's funny when I first joined SF I asked questions like "Does this look good?" or "What do you think of these?"

Now I just ask "What's the sizing?" or "Where can I get these cheapest?"

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's difficult because honestly, at a low price point, there's not that many options. But I thought the advice I gave in the thread I linked was solid; don't buy clothes for 6 months/save up your money instead while you lurk (though that advice was promptly ignored/challenged).

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah my style is similar to Fuuma's and magician's but that style is hard to replicate at lower prices. Americana can be had on the cheap. Good thing I'm not a compulsive buyer.
biggrin.gif

Lachy

Reaction score
"Lurk moar" - Best advice you can give a new comer. You need to think about what direction you want to go in and/or what you suits you.

There is no quick fix.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
It's difficult because honestly, at a low price point, there's not that many options.

This.

All the cool **** is expensive.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you lurk for a week you begin to understand that your closet is full of ****, then the urge becomes strong to replace it all fast. I have yet to see the noob who can hold out for 6 months, even though that would be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads