1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The next question is, who will be the next Bangladesh?

I have a feeling it will be Africa, which is a double edge sword, as it will create a lot of growth, but also even more child labour.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Child labor is not this huge bugaboo in and of itself. The world has a long history of putting children to work. "Summer vacation" was, for many children, time to work on the farm (literally.) And in many states, there are special provisions that allow young minors to work at family businesses.

The problem is exploitative labor practices. Exploitative labor practices targeted at children just seems more abhorrent.

1 person likes this.
  3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I don't know if I would compared working in a sweatshop 15 hours a day every day 6-7 days a week all year round, to working 8 hours a day on a family farm etc. over the summer or at something you are going to inherit down the line.

I think the issue is like you said, that clothes that cheap in disposable, which doesn't lead to anything good, other than money in the manufactures bank account.

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

With where development in the world is now, I definitely think you need a centralized -- if not straight up authoritarian -- type of regime to get things done. There's just too much economic disparity between the rich and poor countries, so growth at this point isn't just about growth -- it's about catch up. In order to get better trade agreements and technology, you need to catch up with developed countries as fast as possible.

Imagine it like a race. Western European and North American countries had the benefit of growing relatively slow (through hundred plus years of industrialization) because they started early. At this point though, those countries are miles ahead of you, and you have Latin American and African countries still at the starting line. In order to catch up, they have to run twice as fast just to catch up to Western countries. If they grow at the rate Britain did, even in the best years, they risk still falling behind in terms of inequality.

Arguably, the only countries who can effectively marshal the necessary resources and labor to get that kind of fast development going are the ones authoritarian governments. There's a really good paper on this by Alexander Gerschenkron that's worth reading.

http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic572311.files/Mon 22 June - 1/Gerschenkron.pdf

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    3 people like this.
  5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

the only ones that are undergoing fast development are the "good" or "smart" authoritarian governments. a lot of countries that are failing cuz of shitty authoritarian governments

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Well yes, I would consider having an authoritarian government a necessary but not sufficient condition.

7. LA Guy

My point is that perceptions of children, and really, any other group, are viewed is not universally uniform, and that there is no a priori reason to believe that they ought to be. For example, one could just as easily argue that the dignity of a child depends on his ability to contribute, materially, to the family. And that allowing children to play too much leads to shiftlessness and a lack of discipline that will serve them poorly as adults.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I agree with you, but I still don't think the two are compareble.

9. im eddie

im eddie Senior member

10. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

11. thats.mana

thats.mana Senior member

Would've been great if he'd used his scrotum, maybe fw17.

12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

True, but I hadn't watched the vid. Doesn't add much to my thinking it's still whack.

It would be a coin purse and not a ring. :happy:

13. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Thoughts on Kestin Hare's new venture? http://kestinhare.com/home

I'm not sure stylistically it's going anywhere new - very much along similar lines to Oliver Spencer
    I'm guessing this is the end of Common People - I liked their first couple of seasons but last year was very bland.

14. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Harden in Dries shirt is cool

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

post your best james harden fits

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

isn't that kind of a straw man though? As far as I know the idea behind having less kids work in factories (hampering their natural development) is to have as many of them as possible in a sustained schooling environment. Which works at least when the local governments have their shit together. In that respect Bangladesh has a lot of work to do still, for example with a literacy rate of 57% (India's at 65) there's still a lot of work to do. But when you see how many positive strides have been made on life expectancy and other health indicators, while growth has been lower than many of their neighbors, there seem to be signs that certain government initiatives are well-honed.

I'm all for discussions about ethnocentrism in general, but I guess I fail to understand here what point you've been trying to impress about the non-universality of kids being protected from having to work.

17. LA Guy

Not sure what you are getting at, but that certainly was no straw man. I'm just positing that "child labor" may not be seen as a bad or exploitative thing by everyone.

18. im eddie

im eddie Senior member

19. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

what pieces would you use to put together the coolest looking douchebag outfit?

jackit - slp
    [​IMG]

jeanse - ballhand
    [​IMG]

shooz - givechy
    [​IMG]

shert - raf
    [​IMG]

hackerman would be fun to play around with too

edit: i actually want all these pieces

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    3 people like this.