1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

my take on the thumb issue is like this:

- a thumb = I lke the fit or I agree with the comment

- the absence of a thumb = I dont like the fit or I dont agree with the comment

- a neg thumb = I'm just hating on you for whatever reason, be it related to the fit/comment or not

Maybe a view counter would work for balance purposes in the sense that gdl describes, say for instance if a fit or comment has X number of thumbs in relation to Y number of views by individual members, not that its necessary but just a thought.

1 person likes this.
  2. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I'm sincerely sorry if I said something unjustifiably rude to you in the past — something which wouldn't surprise me, unfortunately. I'm obviously not an exceedingly gentle person, but I do try to generally do good. I try to own up to what I do wrong, but obviously I am not perfect and will continue to do and say things I will regret until the day I am dead.

That said, my last post in the Contentedness topic was this:

[​IMG]

Which strikes me as kind of snarky, but not particularly scathing or unreasonable.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    4 people like this.
  3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i dont think that post is unreasonably snarky, but i could see how somebody might perceive it as snarky especially if they've been conditioned to think a certain poster is always snarky.

the short snarky comments aiming for a quick thumbs is the worst part of SF. really annoying and it's so prevalent it's easy to get used to it and expect it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    2 people like this.
  4. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

Fucking seconded. Especially if the target is someone easy like moo. Regardless of how I feel about certain posters I find snarky low blows pretty lame, and pretty much just fan the flames of internet pissing contests.

On an unrelated topic, I've been thinking about vintage artisanal fabrics for a minute now, and would be interested in getting everyone's thoughts.

1. Polyester:

Rei Kawakubo loves polyester. I remember reading in some interview how one facet of this is ultimately subversive -- polyester is cheap crap, let's price it higher than fine wool! I enjoy looking at pictures of CdG, but I've balked every time I've tried something on. On one hand, the polyester (especially 100% polyester) isn't comfortable for me at all. On the other, I simply can't bring myself to pay that much for cheap material. Sure, it can be extensively treated artisanally -- I think a lot of the boiled polyester stuff looks fucking amazing -- but I think polyester is shit, and gold-plated shit is still shit.

2. Vintage, rare rabrics:

Everyone knows of Label Under Construction's military tent pants. @uziarh just posted a jacket made out of a goddamn boat sail in recent purchases. I audibly said 'damn' when I saw it, but again, I don't see myself ever buying I mean, anyone who's camped knows that canvas fabric isn't exactly comfortable on the skin. Sure, it's artisal, but artisanality (doubt that's even a word) for it's own sake ends with Sruli Recht making rings out of his own intestines. To me, knowing that my jacket was made of the pillowcase Napoleon slept on the night before his death is intellectually titillating, but not much more. If they sell the same exact fabric at the Salvation Army next door, does the fact that this particular chunk has been soaked in Mussolini's blood fundamentally change the composition, uniqueness, or value of the fabric? I don't think so.

2.5. "Repurposed" (with or without quotations) garments: This may be a different beast altogether, but I'm not a fan of stuff like Needles Rebuild shirts. From a construction standpoint they're not even that exciting: they're seven shirts cut vertically, and combined with literally the simplest stitch available. I remember reading complaints from people who bought the shirts saying "oh, why's this shirt polyester?" "why's one portion of my shirt stained?" "why's this made in the Middle East?" I mean, it's literally 1/7th of 7 different shit shirts. Most of you wouldn't wear $10 shirts from H&M, why would you wear 1/7th of 7 different H&M shirts? That's my thought process.

The Soloist's reconstituted jeans may be a better example. While the fabric is vintage Levi's denim, the cut is drastically changed to something very inline with the rest of the brand's offerings. It looks really, really, really cool. But it's still decades-old pieces of Levi's. While I'm not sure how much the quality of Levi's denim has changed over the last few decades, I'd bet on the structural integrity not being there. No bueno.

Again, my opinion is the same: visually, the fabrics can be really interesting, but for all the reasons listed above, I just can't get behind the stuff. I'm sure a lot of this opinion is influenced by my finances, as I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to pay what is being charged for the exact texture they're looking for, as well as people who value stuff based more on the concept behind them rather than some perceived production cost bang-for-your-buck. This also contributes to why I'm so enamored with Schneider: he provides similarly unique fabrics and textiles while still providing comfort and fine materials. Why is it any less artisanal because he makes his fabrics through a rigorous, engineering-driving product development process?

Additionally, perceptions of what is "valuable" also obviously differ from person to person. I might value the physical composition of something more, while someone else values the concept and thought behind its execution.

My question for people who disagree with me: what is it that draws you to this stuff? What's the value proposition for you?

10 people like this.
  5. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

I just caught up on all this. Would it be possible to implement a user setting feature that allows one to turn thumb comments on/off?

1 person likes this.
  6. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

i got curious and had to look up "snarky" in google trends. the graph is bonkers. what happened in september 2006? it seems afterward nothing was the same

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    4 people like this.
  7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The Rising Power Of Social Media Influencers

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

9. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

"Repurposed" stuff has been on the rise in so many markets lately, and as far as the garment industry goes, I think it's lagging behind (at least in terms of using repurposed fabric for the general public). But if you think of how many people are buying repurposed wood, metal, etc items, I think there's definitely something philosophical in buying the type of stuff.

Read @Synthese article in the Styleforum Brief about wabi sabi, mottainai, and shibui. I don't really think those ideas are strictly Japanese or even Eastern, but I think with current trends in rustic, old fashioned shit that's hugely popular with people, using repurposed stuff represents something a lot greater— you know, whether it's "Hey, this used to be an old barn" or "The wood for this knife handle was a cutting board my grandma used", there's a sentimentality for giving something old a new look.

And ultimately, I think that's what you'll have to reconcile with repurposed clothing. The point isn't really to build garments that are necessarily long lasting (maybe in some cases, yea), but really to express an idea or vision or philosophy. It's using old war materials to make now casual wear. That says something, whether or not you think it's saying something relevant or interesting is up to you.

So, when you're buying the Needles flannels, you're not buying fancy fabrics or really even anything too heritage-y. You're buying Shimizu's art, his ideas for fashion, and his philosophy on materials. That's why it's pricy, not the fact that the fabrics are premium, because if you used premium fabrics on it, it represents something completely different.

The thing about repurposed clothing is that even if the fabrics suck and they rip or whatever, you can just fix them. Patch them. Use one of your old favorite shirts. Or go find a vintage thrift shirt and add it on. Same with The Soloist pants. You know, especially in repurposed clothing, there's this idea of ... your clothes having a story. And that story is whatever you make of it— maybe you won't tell anyone about the patch, or how you ripped it, or how you spent time learning how to fix it, or where the fabric came from, but you'll know its story. And I think that's interesting.

I am a big fan of Schneider fabrics, but those fabrics, I personally think, deserve a certain type of care and delicateness that I do not have. As in, if a Schneider shirt ripped, I don't think I'd feel too great about patching it with some random fabric. I'd feel like I'd need to have it professionally repaired, and I think that's the greatest difference between the two. I don't think anyone thinks Schneider as anything less, but I would say that his philosophy on clothing is different from Shimizu of Needles.

15 people like this.
  10. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Is there an online version of the latest newsletter? I never got the email (checked the subscription and I am subscribed, and it's not in my spam or junk folders).

11. baltimoron

baltimoron Senior member

2 people like this.
  12. OccultaVexillum

^ Perfect time to use a thumb.
    thanks.

13. objection

objection Well-Known Member

i'm almost positive it's hipsterrunoff

14. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Senior member

In terms of structural integrity I feel the Soloist jeans are probably more solid than a lot of 'regular' Soloist pieces.

Given that Takahiro often uses light silks, wools, thin suede, etc. Denim is still denim and can be worn and washed pretty hard. I suspect the denim is probably from 80s and 90s Levis and still has a lot of life, and the seams are comparatively heavy duty for Soloist stuff (and more solid construction than Needles rebuild too I'd say) and the seams also go over many of the high stress areas like the knees too. (Reminds me, I need to buy another pair in a larger size than I tried before).

I tend to prefer more rustic fabrics (linen, cord, denim, etc.). Much as I love the aesthetic, I'm often wary about buying Soloist stuff like the cocktail shirts / pajama pants in case they are non-wash and have delicate fabric composition or whatever. I like stuff that I can wear and wash and not worry about. That will age well and develop patina (or has already aged nicely in the case of vintage / re-purposed stuff).

I have a jacket made from a 1930s deadstock chambray and its got great texture and character. I've still run it through the washer and dryer a bunch of times (partly to try and shrink it) and worn it hard, no problem. That its from the 1930s isn't in itself all that interesting to me (although I do like the idea of stuff having a history) than simply it looks cool.

2 people like this.
  15. DLester

DLester Senior member

no idea, but looks like Fuccboi is gaining ground on Normcore...

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  16. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

17. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm going to start a thread in the "General" forum on this once I recover from waking up at 3 a.m. for a flight this morning.

So, the story is, that if, at *any* time, you globally unsubscribed from emails, i.e. you used the unsubscribe button in a Styleforum newsletter for any reason, that the email sender software will not send you any more emails, period. I can't even fix that on the backend, and you can't resubscribe either. It has to be reset manually. So, moral of the story - never use that button. If you feel like unsubscribing to something, always come on the site, and modify your settings manually.

Cheers,

Fok.

18. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Incidentally, this includes password recovery emails, so it's screwed up a lot of people's accounts. So... don't do it?

Cheers,

Fok.

19. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Damn SendGrid!

1 person likes this.
  20. OccultaVexillum

I only subscribed to the newsletter a few days ago, so this would've been the first time I was supposed to receive one. I never received an SF email and hit unsubscribe. I must have just subscribed right after the letter was sent out or something (I think I subbed on Thursday maybe?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.