1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Numerous case studies of this. Works for her Q&A format platforms, but essentially nothing else.

2. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

Do you have a link to any of these? Me = curious

3. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're all arguin that we're too immature to make good use of it as a quick feedback tool. From my own experience on this board, I would say that's not a good assessment. We're a pretty good group of people overall, and certainly everyone (especially new users) would benefit from more symmetry/accuracy in how posts are rated/appreciated by others. Feedback is helpful. Removing hurdles that prevent even feedback isn't. If anything, we're so civil of a community that we tend to shy away from negative feedback - we just practice silence instead. Letting thoughts flow in a manner that makes the user comfortable is a good idea - and clearly we've seen that users are very comfortable with thumbs as a means to provide quick feedback.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    3 people like this.
  4. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

I'm not sure symmetry is really as beneficial as you believe it to be, or even that negrep qualifies as feedback at all.

The only information negrep provides is that a certain number of people disagree with you. This information is helpful if your goal is to blend in to a community's tastes, but as a metric for the reasonability or quality of the post itself, it's very very poor.

So compare that 'benefit' to the skewing affects I've described above, and you can see quickly that negrep isn't really worth it.

Oh, and @LA Guy should totally post those case studies. Still interested.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

But then why thumbs at all if that kind of information is useless? The same reasoning surely applies to thumbs up as a form of feedback?

Thumbs are feedback. That's pretty much all they are. They aren't discussion or conversation. They're immediate yea or nay feedback.

As such, they're a form of discussion of its own, essentially separate from worded discussion. Having an entire subchannel medium that is binary in nature be restricted to one of the two options - yea only - is completely absurd. I understand its comfortable, warm and fuzzy, but it doesn't make it right.

2 people like this.
  6. msg

msg Well-Known Member

I want someone to buy @gdl203 that Undercover sweatshirt from last season that's printed "stop making sense."

1 person likes this.
  7. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

Downvoting is really, really toxic, and generates a lot of fly-by aggressiveness. Would rather see people actually post and express their disagreement.

17 people like this.
  8. msg

msg Well-Known Member

That's an assertion. By the same argument, why have thumbs? Wouldn't it be better for people to post and express their agreement?

9. LA Guy

Because we are interested in an asymmetrically positive community.

11 people like this.
  10. LA Guy

You're thinking about it using the wrong paradigm. This is not a townhall. This is a nice place at which to hang out.

2 people like this.
  11. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

honestly i like both sides of this argument and would like the community either way

1 person likes this.
  12. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

Cheers for this way of running things, what keeps me coming back here as opposed to the more inclusive, clique-y fashion boards

7 people like this.
  13. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

14. redc2

redc2 Well-Known Member

15. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Well-Known Member

Is that Margiela film out already?

16. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

nah, trailer was just released yesterday

17. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily care to read someone's post that reads "nice fit!!" but if someone's going to shit on someone's look, they should at least be required to say why. Ultimately, a world in which someone publicly expresses their distaste for every single thing they don't like would be a pretty insufferable one. Let's not turn SF into that.

3 people like this.
  18. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

^ Had to double-check the user name on that one.

1 person likes this.
  19. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

glad to see that even though i've aged and matured, some things really do stay the same

20. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Whenever I see this discussion about thumbs, and activity, and courting or keeping new members, it always seems the easiest thing to demand would just be a certain level of civility towards new posters -- even if you don't believe they have as much to contribute.

The last post I remember from you was in the contentedness thread, a brief shitty reply towards someone with a low post count who had the audacity to express joy over some item or another that didn't quite live up to your standards of svelte bleakness. That was about a week ago.

But you're right -- I probably am too quick to dump on you for this sort of thing, as your treatment of select friends, and especially family members, was really, really egregious, and -- even though it's so uncool to express -- still makes me angry when I think about it.

Regarding thumb comments, I was a fan. They let people sneak-in those minor helpful tidbits they would have otherwise left out. That was a cool thing.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.