1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

All I want to know is-- will this lead to more sick deals or fewer sick deals? This is important information. There are sick deals at stake.

2 people like this.
  2. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

I hope Yoox's one part-time stylist isn't laid off in the merger and replaced with a team of fancy types from the net a porter group.

8 people like this.
  3. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Yeah it wasn't really planned TBH, it just pops a little bit in the pic, not even sure the two blues match in real life. Anyway this was a mostly wanker outfit to go see an expo at fondation Cartier then meet friends who really dislike the trainers (my friend was wearing the other colourway so we looked like total assholes).

4. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Does anybody here own Yoox or Porter stock?

5. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Net-a-Porter isn't a public company. It is (was) owned by Richemont

6. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

do Yooxbuxx count as stock?

11 people like this.
  7. OccultaVexillum

I thought some kind of value from Net A Porter folded over into the Yoox stock though? I know next to nothing about stocks and trading.

8. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

9. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

On paper, this is such an intriguingly bad deal for Richemont. NAP generates more EBITDA than Yoox, yet they end up with no cash consideration, a 3-year lockup and no board control. It's mind-boggling. No wonder Yoox share price is up 20% - happy shareholders there

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

I dunno. NaP hasn't always been profitable in recent years, whereas Yoox has. Richemont was reportedly looking to offload Yoox a while back too (that's where the Amazon acquisition rumors came from I believe). I think this way they don't have to deal with running it and they get the advantage of Yoox's network

--The transaction is positive for Richemont as the combination will improve profitability “considerably” over the next three years, according to Alessandro Migliorini, an analyst at Mirabaud Securities LLP. “The newly formed venture will have more clout against the tech giants that have been encroaching the luxury arena.” http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...net-a-porter-online-luxury-retailer-with-yoox

11. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Who do they mean by "tech giants" other than Amazon? Apple with its stupid-expensive watch?

12. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Moneyoox(TM)

13. OccultaVexillum

At least there is somewhere for all of mr P'a leftover sale stuff instead of it just sitting Ina warehouse until 80% off time.

1 person likes this.
  14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Alibaba, EBay, aliexpress?

15. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Been thinking about including some new trainers in my rotation. It would still be 97% boots but these have my eye, could be pretty easy to pair with suits etc. Good idea?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

slip ons would look better in your wardrobe imo

2 people like this.
  17. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

A moment ago, I was watching a video featuring Jeffrey Ying and thinking to myself. "What is the core of what attracts me to a person's style?"

Because his outfits were great, totally fun, fine, complicatedly laid out and all. His sense of style did not make me envy the man, as it does with some. I realized, it was because he was completely fashion obsessed and it showed.

Next, I determined this: No matter what your style, you've got to make it a nearly-effortless distilled essence. Otherwise, what impresses people won't be anything more personal than a shared taste for ice cream flavors.

1 person likes this.
  18. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I can't help but question the self-awareness of a man who wants to believe, against all rational ways of conceiving such a thing as a car, that automobile vehicles operate through the will of the driver and who then proceeds to watch a documentary about car mechanics. If you wanted to keep your fairytale ideas alive you shouldn't have looked under the hood.

10 people like this.
  19. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

The bonding of man and machine is another perfect example, but not from a standpoint of needlessly bashing the intellectual exploration of the realm of the senses...

In the world of motorcycles, there exists what we call the "park and polish" crowd. They have gorgeous, expensive, meticulously-detailed, fine machines, yet when they ride them, it is often through a visibly great effort - both to not blemish the machine and to concentrate on the actual ride. To a new rider, they may seem enviable with their flashy rides. But an experienced motorcyclist will wait to see how he expresses himself in the experience and security of a good ride (even cornering, good engine manipulation, etc.) - before being too impressed with the man behind the machine.

Does he express himself as if effortlessly, actualizing his will and essence into the joy of living?

If not, his expression is bankrupt of substance.

20. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

/rolls eyes

14 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.