1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Oakland is starting to take off in certain areas. Not like SF or the peninsula though.

2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

But... after all is said and done, there is no place like the Bay Area. None. It's awesome here.

3. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

@lonermatt im assuming you are not a teacher and were just looking at that as an example pay scale. My wife is a teacher though. Do not move to the U.S. if you want to teach it's a fucking joke both monetarily and in practice. And yeah even though I wasn't at the beach daily or even weekly in Sydney I could look out my window and see the ocean, I got ocean breezes playing ball in my front yard, and if I wanted it was a 5 min drive away. I live on Denver before this and hated it, I couldn't wait to get out of there, NY is better (minus the sunshine) but it's still like 4 hours to the ocean, though there is a lot more lakes/rivers/water in general. I'm still young enough to move and Start again so that is my plan. I guess I just need to travel some more and find some places I could live in.

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Know a few people who bought places in Oakland... it's one of those cities you get sold on by friends over and over again. Then you start to think "hmmm, you know, maybe I could live there. Nice homes in places, good weather, good food, just across the bridge from the city..." and then you drive through Oakland to the open house and say fuck this and get the hell out of there.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  5. msg

msg Senior member

There are other nice options on WC. San Diego, Portland, Seattle (although in the city housing costs are sky-rocketing; fastest growing population in the country)

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I've never lived in SF, but my mother-in-law does, and I have, mostly for business reasons, spent an average of 2 weeks in SF every year since 2000. So, that's over 6 months actually spent in SF. I've also lived in LA, Boston, and a midsized city in Canada, as well as a small town (where I am now) And I think that I've travelled more than the average person. I would not say that the Bay Area is the most awesome place to live. It's a great place to visit, yes. But live is something else. I actually rejected a move to the Bay Area. My personal feeling is that an area with a really high cost of living is not generally good for that community, since it naturally becomes highly class stratified. For adults, that's not so bad, but I don';t think that it is good for kids. They end up living in either a privileged bubble, or they are pretty disadvantaged. I really like that my kids can hang out with kids from all social strata and the the differences in wealth are not as obvious as your zip code.

We have neighbouring families firmly entrenched in the middle middle-class, and then a few who have real money (as in family money, mostly farming money) and then people who have HHI well under $50K/a, both parents working. And because it would be stupid to drive a Rolls Royce here, and because essentially no one cares about fashion, and because housing costs are much more flat than in a place like San Francisco, everyone can hang out and there is not obvious "haves" and "have nots". I mean, there are obviously still differences in means, but its not as easily apparent as in the Bay Area. I see this as a healthy thing for a community.

7 people like this.
  7. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Yeah I've looked at Washington, oregon and even BC (but that seems even crazier cost wise). I don't know much of CA outside of SF, LA and Monterey.

8. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

I am a teacher. I'm actually between classes now. I hear that the system is insane in the States, and it's getting better here (the UK is also getting better if the people I talk to are to be believed).

I have thought about working in the US before (dual citizen). Mum's from Seattle, it's pretty nice there, but the rest of the State is a bit lame.

I'm kinda fascinated by Colorado and New Mexico and Utah.

Moo: It was a serious question - what's wrong with living with other people at age 35? I mean if one has kids and a family then that's obviously going to be more difficult than if someone was single, or just with their partner. I guess because I grew up around a lot of people renting I don't really care as much as others, but objectively I don't really see how age changes a lot.

9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

There is a massive chasm between being raised outside the Bay and making a choice to move here versus being raised here and making a choice to move elsewhere. Once you're here, unless you are drowning financially, you are going to stay.

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

In my mind, the way I was raised, and how I live - it is unfathomable to not be somewhat successful, with a family (at least married), settled down, and on a firm career path by the time you are in your early 30's. So my idea of life at that age does not jive at all with living with roommates. YMMV.

11. chupas

chupas Senior member

Or Santa Cruz and get your ocean fix to boot. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

In my mind this has always been the reason not to live with roommates after a certain age

[​IMG]

13. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

I mean it's cool if that's what you expect for yourself, but your posts come off as obscenely judgmental. That's why the other kids on the board don't like playing with you anymore bro.

4 people like this.
  14. LA Guy

And yet I know tons of people who have voluntarily left. A lot of times, it's because they started a family, and decided that they didn't want their kids growing up in San Francisco. Some just grew tired of the city. And these are affluent to wealthy people who were not having any issues making ends meet in San Francisco.

15. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

I think that was the most balanced post from MM I've read today.

16. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Well, I make no apologies for being the way I am. If you feel that your lifestyle is threatened by the standards that I set for myself, then perhaps the problem is within.

17. LA Guy

Vancouver is insane. My brother paid three quarters of a million for a 600 sqft studio about five years ago. It's apparently even more insane now. I'm wondering what will happen with the slowing the Asian economies.

18. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Where did they go?

It's difficult to uproot one's life. This may come off as "obscenely judgmental" but most "American" people who I know would have no issues with moving across the country, or perhaps the world, for one reason or another. On the other hand, very few of my Russian friends would consider leaving their parents, grandparents, and friends behind and moving far away. It's not common for Russian kids to move far away from their parents. Perhaps that plays a role in my thinking...

19. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I used to find Moo's posts annoying, but they suddenly become fun if you put the annoying parts inside this speech bubble. Try it sometime.

[​IMG]

19 people like this.
  20. LA Guy

Sigh. You say that you set standards for yourself, but you seem to feel the need to judge everyone else by the same standards.

18 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.