1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I really like Restoration Hardware. I know that's basic as fuck and I can probably do my own reclaimed industrial stuff vibe but goddamn do I like it.

2. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Found a couch from DWR on Craigslist for $100 dollars. Could stand to be reupholstered but I still consider it a good deal compared to retail.

Craigslist is great for furniture if you check regularly and put in the time to sift through the crap.

1 person likes this.
  3. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

+1 on Room and Board. My gf and I bought a bed from them last year ($1,500 I think?) and it definitely feels miles ahead of any purchase I've made at Ikea. And I've made many, many of those over the years.
    For the mattress we went with Tuft & Needle which is an online-only company with a good return policy if you're not happy

4. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Yesss, the rise of online DTC mattress companies has been a pretty sweet trend. Casper is another one to check out

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  5. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Bought the "heavenly bed" from Nordstroms awhile back. I think it's just a renamed sealy or simmons. It still might be the best thing I've ever bought of all time. Best thing is that I can go and return it for a full refund no questions asked in about 15 years when it craps out lol.

6. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

^^^^Wrong. I had firm, but (sorry if TMI) if you end up with her on top at some point, maintaining the "proper angle" is impossible. Sold our Thermarest at a substantial loss almost immediately.

1 person likes this.
  7. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Come be a bureaucrat in the Midwest. For that kind of money I can get you a mansion on the shores of Lake Erie.

Current mattress is pillow top. Makes for a good night's sleep, other activities have been somewhat compromised.

8. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

Dudes furnishing a house should think of talking to an interior designer. They can hook you up with a designer discount (20%ish usually) and have access to sources that the public might not know about - vintage, custom, etc.

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The designer then charges you what you saved in commission.

4 people like this.
  10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I really want to buy a house, but I feel like everyone in our generation moves every ten years or so. Whether for job or family or whatever. Not just my academic friends either.

Feel like a sucker renting, but the idea of settling down some place and saying "OK, I'm definitely going to be here for twenty or thirty years" sounds daunting.

1 person likes this.
  11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Beds. I sleep on this $80 all cotton futon mattress, been doing so for like 4 years. I like mattresses straight on the floor, no need for a bed frame. Much cozier down there. I get up, fold my blankets then roll it up.

[​IMG]

I'm in the same boat. Have enough saved up to put a down payment on the house but I don't want to be stuck somewhere for a good 5 years. I think I've decided to buy a nice apartment for lower price than a house. That way it can be a feasible 3 year flip, I can commit to three years at one place.

12. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

You know when you move you can...sell the house.

13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

It's not always that easy. You can easily get stuck in a situation where you have two mortgage payments. A friend of mine is in that situation right now.

14. APK

APK Senior member

you're adorable

1 person likes this.
  15. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

I used to think that way, but am less worried about it now. We bought our first house 2 years ago, we will be selling it in another 1-2 years and moving south where we will buy again. We aren't going to lose any money (should make money) so I don't really see any issue with it. I never felt "locked down".

I'd prefer to live in something that is mine, without sharing a wall with some noisy dirtbag in an apartment. The only thing I miss is having a good landlord who takes care of everything for you.

16. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Well, my premise is that you're living in an area where real estate appreciates over time, without fail...like California. It probably is a harder decision in other places.

17. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

yea thats why you gotta be smart and have a plan you stick to when shopping.

18. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

Well, they charge for the service they provide, yeah. I think it's worth it if you have the budget (disclaimer, my wife is a designer, so I am naturally biased).

If you're friends with a designer, they could possibly hook you up with a discount sans commission though.

19. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Houses in the right areas here don't make it past 1 weekend of open houses.

20. Cacatfish

Cacatfish Senior member

There was quite a significant fail about 7 years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.