1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

You could also try my approach - live in a place so small it's cheap to furnish it either way
    The only item I spent more than $1000 on was my bed

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Ikea isn't too bad. I usually get my TV stand and couch at home theatre stores, then cover the rest with Ikea. I avoid all MDF woods, Ikea you can get some nice stuff made out of pine or metal. Last week my 7 year old Poang chair finally broke, used it every day. Buying a new one is a definite, love that chair.

Re: Moving a lot, that's me. I'm at the point where I want to buy though.. I was thinking a house, but now I'm thinking an apartment. I just like smaller spaces and less stuff to worry about...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. zissou

zissou Senior member

I've furnished an entire house in vintage Danish teak furniture from Craigslist for a song. I'm talking about a third the price of cheap IKEA crap. It's not designer Danish furniture, but it all matches and looks great. IKEA is great for buying pillows, lamps, etc. that match all of it pretty well.

In related news, we've decided to move. No more farmer zissou.

2 people like this.
  4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Welcome to owning real shit. Clothing is a pretty inexpensive hobby, all things considered.

Of course, you can do the equivalent of shopping the sales, and do that, plus drive around to vintage stores and estate sales. Like this hobby though, it takes a tremendous amount of time and effort. Right now, you are trying to do it all retail. That's like walking into a top tier boutique and getting an entire wardrobe from scratch. Even if you go to Target or whatever, you are going to drop a few thousand. You think that agonizing over a $800 jacket is a big deal. Wait until you watch for that $5K bed to drop to 75% off. And you'll have to live with that bed for years.

Unless you are really serious about it, go to Crate and Barrel, which is probably the Banana Republic/J Crew of Furniture, and Design within Reach for the "showcase" pieces - I think that DWR is like... Acne or Our Legacy - nice enough, designery, but fairly derivative and with a lot of collaborations - with a $5-10K budget at each place, a and be done with. If you are judicious with your budget, you can do okay with $15K or so. If you don't have the cash, which most people don't, be like the high school students that sometimes come here. Fill up on Ikea (Uniqlo? The Gap?), and gradually replace with nicer things.

5 people like this.
  5. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

what about those closeout showrooms? lots of where houses around, you can find them easily on craigslist bay area.

furniture consignment places have new stuff people don't want...

ikea is all garbage imo, everything i ever owned from them i ended up hating.

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

exactly why i hate it but thats my opinion...

7. LA Guy

This is sorta the hobbyist approach. I can deal with it, but if you want a great looking place in a month or so, this is not an approach that will work well. You'll have some mismatched pieces, have to wait and keep on looking around for that second chair, figure out how to repair that small rip in the leather, etc...

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I've never bought a single fucking thing at Ikea… in fact I've only ever been inside once and that was on accident. I don't get it.. just a bunch of shit.

1 person likes this.
  9. LA Guy

You can look pretty good in just Uniqlo and the GAP, but it does require a pretty good eye and some decent knowledge. Unfortunately, that's precisely what a lot of people shopping at the GAP don't have. Same goes with furniture.
    I thought that this was pretty funny. Let's translate into Styleforum terms:
    "Fuck man, I mean, it was some random designer, not even like Hugo Boss or Prada or something really famous. I mean, who the fuck is Rick Owens anyway?"

2 people like this.
  10. LA Guy

You like in SLC, dude. It's much harder in the Bay Area, where that furniture would have had 100 inquiries.

2 people like this.
  11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Farmer Zissou becoming sailor Zissou?

Or I need to find an architect on Styleforum who gets baller furniture at cost. The equivalent of proxying Mr. Porter founder sales? :foo:

12. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

At this point, I suggest stacking a big pile of criminology books in one corner of the room so your barren house is just a reflection of your obsessive detective lifestyle.

8 people like this.
  13. superego

superego Senior member

I imagine you're looking for a pretty specific aesthetic if you're coming across $11000 couches, but room and board and restoration hardware were good options when I finally bought some nice furniture a few years back. have been really pleased with r&b value, and rh runs sales semi regularly making it a bit more accessible

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I assume its a leather sofa at 11k, if you know an interior designer or architect, you should be able to get a good amount of just by borrowing a businesscard.

I have been dreaming of some rosewood dining chairs for years now, but at $3k a chair, I'm going to keep dreaming.

15. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Was browsing 1st dibs :embar: and some sites I found in other parts of the forum where people actual buy said furniture.

16. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Anyone make their own, or thought about making their own furniture or even doing it to sell? Seems like a profitable business. :D

17. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

There were a few guys chatting about it in the cool furniture/design objects/desiderata thread, SkinnyGoomba was one IIRC.

It's something I've thought of doing myself as a hobby in a few years when I have a bit more spare time. I enjoy working with my hands so it would be relaxing plus I'd get something useful at the end of it. I like the idea of having stuff I've made in the house, gifting to friends & relatives etc.

Obviously doing it for a living would be an entirely different ballgame.

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

SkinnyGoomba pretty much build his entire house at this point.

There are some good threads in that part of the forum.

19. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

I know a bunch of guys who have a farm outside the city... they basically built their own place and continue expanding it and shit. They're all carpenters, electricians, metalworkers, etc so they have a kinda cool off the grid thing goin on. Last time I was there they had just finished digging out this giant pit to build an outdoor steam/sweat room.

http://onetawoodworks.com/

It is funny seeing these guys make furniture for high end restaurants and boutiques and then going to their place. It's basically a hippie heaven: reclaimed wood cabin sitting on top of a schoolbus (pretty fuckin cool), bunch of remodeled trailers sprawled across the farm. Bunch of dogs running around wild. Bunch of weird True Detective twig things everywhere. And they're all basically smelly dudes who listen to a lot of Floor and do a lot of drugs and drink a bunch but can make some really cool stuff.

20. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

In other news I snagged a new Le Creuset 7.25 qt dutch oven for only $150!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! come to my house for trapped wild squirrel stew!!!

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.