1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

That's harsh but fair. Given the chance, though, I'd probably go full-on mecha with electro-implants to enhance reaction times. Not sure whether I'd need to wear the boots inside the suit, though, or whether it would matter whether they were laced tightly or loosely. I guess it would come down to how sensitive the controls for the rocket thrusters on the heels were.

2. Portland Dry Goods

Portland Dry Goods Senior member

237 Commercial Street, Portland, Me 04102
    Funny to think about the fashion "Cycle" RE; Burton.

I've chatted with Mr Burton in the shop (new england to new england vacations, man) and since I've learned that one of Acronym's first gigs was working with Burton (we're talking years before their first drop). white mountaineering draws heavily from Burton, even mastermind did a collab with Burton.

so we've got american go-tos pulling from japanese wunderkind pulling from american go-tos and so on.

3. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Senior member

didn't Hiroki start out working for Burton as well

4. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

that Burton stuff looks awesome, wish my snowboard gear looked remotely cool

5. accordion

accordion Senior member

6. carloso

carloso Senior member

Does anyone know how the brooklyn circus 8 panel caps fit?

7. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

I'm in Huntsville Al, which has no decent shops that I've noticed yet.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Imo, the best affordable casualwear, by far, is American. Companies like Burton blow their Asian and European competitors out of the water. At the contemporary and designer level, yes, there are plenty of great casual worldwide. But at the high street and discount level, American sportswear is typically a much better value and better style as well.

9. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

LOL WTF are you doing in Huntsville? Enjoy the southern hospitality. Not many people from Europe get to visit the south or any place like Huntsville when they visit the U.S. Not that Huntsville is great. It's really boring. But it's a different part of America, obviously, than NYC or LA, or any of the typical vacation spots for euros.

You're not going to find any- and I mean ANY- stores in Huntsville or anywhere within a 2 hour drive. Atlanta and Nashville are probably 3-4 hours away, and you'll find a ton of stuff to do in those places, but to be honest I'm not sure how many great clothing stores. I'm sure there are some, but I don't know of any offhand that sell SF approved brands. There must be some. The south isn't really known for its fashion, and that's an understatement.

The lone exception is Billy Reid. He's from Alabama and his flagship store is in Florence, which is less than 100km from Huntsville. From what I remember of your fit pics that I've seen, I wouldn't peg you as a Billy Reid guy, but if you have an open mind his stuff is great and it would probably be an interesting excursion.

10. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

@Caveat Got offered a job here I couldn't turn down! Hah, I don't know if it's really boring, the nightlife is definitely not what I'm used to, I was at a club last night that just reminded me of a school disco. I've done the big city living for a while, the change of pace is nice, not to mention being able to rent an entire house for the same price I used to pay for a room in London.

I had a feeling Atlanta would be my best bet, I've been meaning to go there to see what the music scene is like out there, I'll probably have to spend a weekend out there sometime soon.

I know of Billy Reid through that James Bond peacoat that was making the rounds, think he's got some nice knitwear as well that I'll have to check out. I'm going to need to change my style anyway to deal with the heat here, so it's a good opportunity to pick out some stuff from brands I wouldn't have previously considered!

11. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Oh, you're living there? Funny, I'm from Alabama and living in Europe now for the same reason.

Yeah, I shouldn't say boring. I haven't been out in H'ville in years. But probably quite a bit different than what you're used to.

12. yescola

yescola New Member

Are you a Brit living in the States? Funny, always thought you were an American living in London!

13. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Yeah, I've got a 5 year visa so I'll be here a while. There seems to be a lot of new construction downtown, the apartment I'm in is brand new, and there are two other developments downtown that I'm aware of, so things should liven up. Plus there's a monster truck show in town in a couple months, so life's good.

French/Brit living in the States, although I've only been here 6-7 weeks. I'll have to explore the US while I'm here. London's great, but it's way too expensive.

14. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

We need a list of the weird American cities us foreigners occupy.

15. yescola

yescola New Member

I have been thinking about Stanley van Buren a great deal lately. I saw this commercial on TV today--and the gentleman reminded me a lot of Stanley.

[​IMG]

Several scenes....the suit/t-shirt/glasses......the side-view shot of the guy riding in a vehicle wearing a navy V-neck sweater and aviator sunglasses, with a lady.....the big fireball explosion.....a lover of dogs...a world traveller...adored by Chinese people who are Japanophiles...and several other scenes...all reminded me of Stanley.....I felt like the people in this commercial: "Who is this guy?", when I first came to Styleforum and saw Stanley.....still, I know so little of him and when I see a commercial like this, I find myself asking "Who is Stanley?"...

No, I am not saying Stanley van Buren would use "Axe"...far from it....

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    3 people like this.
  16. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Shopping for furniture is rough. Even shitty Costco furniture isn't cheap.... and why can I not find a decent credenza that was made in the last 30 years that's made of decent material / priced normally? Even the homage ones are expensive as shit.

Sigh... must I turn to the Uniqlo of furniture? Ikea?

1 person likes this.
  17. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

At least you can like.. own furniture
    I've moved every 1-3 years for the past 12 years of my life
    If I had a semi-permanent place, I'd redirect my clothing budget to baller furniture (all IKEA now lol)

1 person likes this.
  18. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Baller furniture is orders of magnitude more expensive than baller clothes. :(

While randomly browsing a few sites:
    Oh hey, that's a pretty cool looking bar cabinet - $3800.
    That's a pretty cool couch (and it's not from a designer so famous that I immediately recognize it) - $11000.
    That dining set would fit great - $8500.

OK let me go look at Costco:
    Veneer basic ass shit bedroom set: $3800. WTF?
    5 pc dining set - $1200. WTF?

1 person likes this.
  19. APK

APK Senior member

I'm facing the same trouble and I'm not even messing with sites with stuff priced like that. I've never had really nice stuff, aside from a pretty cool mod dresser set I picked up at an estate sale years back. But I've moved a few times in the last five years, each time opting to leave behind or toss a lot of stuff. When I moved in with my then-girlfriend a couple years ago, I pretty much tossed the remainder of my furniture aside from a couch I had bought a few months earlier.

Now I'm starting mostly from scratch, and even topping out my options as the CB2 level, I could pretty easily hit five-figures to furnish a two-bedroom and still probably not have everything I want or need.

20. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

I ended up just going with IKEA to furnish my new place, there's no real alternatives at the same price point.

Some of the new pine range is pretty nice though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.