1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I also mix up antiques/old wood stuff with more modern or contemporary pieces (Matt and I like a lot of the same stuff TBH). Really ties the room together as the dude would say. As weird as it sounds I'm not sure I'd start posting pictures of my interior and I don't hide my face in WAYWT pics (where you can sometimes see parts of said interior anyway). Can't really explain why.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

People care, like people still care about jeans, which is a huge sector, despite the move away from denim since it is on the low ebb of trends right now. Thai, especially, had it's time in the sun in the 00s.

There are tons of Thai restaurants, fewer Malaysian, all over North America, many of which do good food and good business. Right now, ramen is at peak popularity (it's been getting there for about 5 years, at least, now. and so everyone is talking about that. When that trend ebbs, which it will, we'll be left with the actual food being a part of the permanent culture. I think that this is good. If you grew up in North America and are over 30, you'll remember when there was mostly "American", Italian, and whatever ethnic foods corresponded to large local enclaves (in Kingston, ON, that was Portugese). The food culture in the US has been enriched by, and this is pretty clear, The Food Network and offshoots and competitors, which increased demand and highlighted supply. Who, in the 80s, knew the names of chefs, of any caliber? To me, that was a perfect example of mass culture enriching our lives. I really think that sites like this one, and Hypebeast, and whatever, similarly enriching our clothes culture. There are, of course, downsides as well, but to me, the benefits have far outweighed those. I like being able to buy a sous-vide machine without having to go to a restaurant supply store, and I like that I can get a really well executed porkchop or braised pork belly, in Moscow, ID.

And I like being able to call up an SA in Boston or London, be able to reference their stock, and have a regular SA be able to tell me about the material weight and weave type, and leather characteristics, in unambiguous and concise language.

2 people like this.
  3. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

To be clear, I'm impressed, not objecting. The place on page 3 is more my speed with the brick wall, but yeah.

4. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kanye looks like watered down, cheaply-made HL without the contrasting tailored element or the cultural context of 15 years ago. urbansweatapocalyptic athleisurblah blah whatvr.

12 people like this.
  5. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I hope kanye keeps at it. I don't like him but he is very tenacious and I think he has potential because of that. He just needs to take a step back, pause, and think

Wishful thinking

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Oh I don't necessarily disagree although a lot of the ethnic food was still there in various large cities, it just wasn't fancy and fancied. Our current first world problem is related to that newer situation though: cities food/fashion/design scenes are starting to look for the most part to be the same. When I talk about starbuckification people think of chains and stuff they don't like (it's for plebs bullshit etc) but in reality it also refers to somewhat nice sushi places and hipster butchers everywhere. I guess sushi might not be the best example because it is now ALSO western food, part of the landscape. Interior deco of shops is also similar. On the other hand I'm currently in Montréal and I can find nice scented candles, this used to be something more french I guess and not a worldwide hype shop with nice vintage wood furniture and barbour mixed with engineered garments, red wings boots, opinel knives and vintage shaving kits type thing.

I was looking at the first few pages of the thread cyd posted, the forum was really made richer by having a feew people who starting being passionate about other aspects of design before they got heavily into clothing (Matthew, Lucky strike, Labelking etc.). I feel a lot of "kids" today (get off my lawn!!) are tumblerified into fashion and will have boring shit taste in other areas.

6 people like this.
  7. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

If I take Paris as an example there are now a lot of the following things:

-hipster quality burger places (the elevation of street/fast food is one of the hallmark of foodie culture).
    -tapas or mediterranean style food everywhere
    -cocktails, mixologists and speakeasies (o_O)
    -interior designs reminiscent of Brooklyn or whatever (either the vintage wood style of the sparse loft style).

Problem is Paris already had a rich design and food culture and the new stuff mostly looks ridiculous here if you stop to think about it (Haussmann+loft style is yuck!). I want to eat fucking boeuf bourguignon not that shit!

Foodie culture mainly benefitted places that had poorer traditions in the area (like North America) by elevating what was already there, made sense and had true potential. You can now eat delicious, lumberjack style stew or whatever and it is a good thing. In other places the scenario is a little bit more complicated, I don't want us to become one big mushy world culture.

11 people like this.
  8. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Are those new shops driving out the old ones that are more to your taste or is it just their presence that bothers you

9. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

one of the recent Bourdains had him in some outying Paris neighborhoods (10th or 19th maybe) trying more modern food. it seemed to fit in that context. more of an updated bistro - not really trying to be a Brooklyn type place. but agree, would be weird to try to create some "locavore/artisan joint in more central part of town in a hausmann interior. Boeuf Bourguignon 4life.

rft: I just sold a couple old HL and yohji things and the shipping address was a design dept at [famous paris fashion house].

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  10. sipang

sipang Senior member

"I've heard from people working at different fashion houses that there is always a Helmut Lang piece hanging and it's right there to be copied." --Bernhard Willhelm

4 people like this.
  11. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I do our tumblr, but I find tumblr feeds to be, by and large, the most boring things in the world, because so many people have such boring tastes. I look at tumblr feeds from 20 something dudes, and they all have: inspirational photography with nice sunsets, or gritty city scapes, often both; tastefully nude pictures of skinny white girls that you imagine might be blogged by the Sartorialist; photos of worn in leather and boots and other hipster guy gear; pictures of boringly good looking dudes in boringly cool clothes. Pictures of Asian women and Asian men, the women often semi-dressed, and the dudes dressed in Engineered Garments or some other dark workwear type of shit. So, cool and ethnic. Oh, and like, food that you might get at a Michelin one star restaurant - i.e. elevated but accessible, food.

tbh, I prefer our tumblr, but I would actually prefer to publish pictures that look awkward and amateurish. But of course, it is a bit of a marketing exercise, and everyone wants nice pictures of good looking outfits, and you get more likes and reblogs, so of course, I skew that way.

I sorta agree with you, but the truth is that globalization of culture will, inevitably, make certain things more homogeneous. And the effects are felt in the elite (let's not get hung up on the word) circles of art, food, fashion, etc... just because members of that global elite interact more regularly. Places like Styleforum, for example, facilitate this, even for those who do not travel or interact in person with other members of the elite. If you get into the more "high street" culture, that is where the regional differentiation. I was talking to a good retailer a couple of weeks ago who used to work for GStar, which runs as franchises (unlike say, Gucci, where all Guuci stores are all projections of the Gucci persona), and the regional differences in the stock carried. If want the more streetwear stuff that is inspired by underground dance culture in the early and mid 00s, London stores carry all the neon stuff. The Dutch stores are sorta like slick goth ninja, all black and dark, but a bit more finished than the "artisanal" brands, in general. I haven't eaten in Paris for a while now, but Italian food is a good example. If you go to a trendy place, sure, you get trendy dishes. But Italian restauranteurs are famously indifferent to what the fuck some asshole tourist wants, and what is happening outside of their city, so you get Italian food, for Italians, by Italians. I was in Lyon this summer, and the food there was amazing. Yeah, I mean, I could also get a bagel or some fish and chips, but I could also get great Lyonaise food, some of which definitely is an acquired taste (um, intestine sausage, anyone?)

Ahem - and you did not first ask me if I wanted to purchase them? The Helmut Lang stuff, you know that I love it. That hurts bro. No bro hug for you.

13. jet

jet Senior member

I am tired of all these dickheads in LA whose dress is clearly inspired by the kanye movement. Even a buddy of mine who had no interest in nice clothing is posting up je tees, long scalloped hems and buscemi or whatever the fuck they're called sneakers.

4 people like this.
  14. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I kinda want studded SLP brown suede harness boots.

1 person likes this.
  15. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Without the studs, sure

1 person likes this.
  16. jet

jet Senior member

i want some zimmerli linen pajamas or should i say pyjamas

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  17. diniro

diniro Senior member

zach lavine :eek::eek::eek:

3 people like this.
  18. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

omfg... yes srsly. Who the fuck thinks Kanye knows anything about clothing? Or music for that matter? Or fucking anything… the dude is such a poser, a joke.

19. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

what brand is JE? or should i just stay blissfully ignorant.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  20. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

hmm, time for some air yeezy IIs??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

can't hate on kanye anyways, we're leather jacket buddies:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.