1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

never had to repair the pocket lining on any of my denim.

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

All my jeans wear through on the front pockets, my APC's did the same thing.

3. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

I dress a certain way so people don't try to mug me.

But I think it depends more on how you wear it than just all black colors. Something like Yohji's "you don't bother me, I don't bother you" black vs grungy/goth black.

4. 0JSIMPS0N

0JSIMPS0N Senior member

I don't find black/tailored clothing has any correlation at all with approachability. I honestly don't think Yohji knows what the fuck he is talking about with that quote. If anything black does the opposite, usually brightens up your face/body and leaving the clothing in the background. Think dark movie theatre, all eyes on the screen. Waitstaff, service people, bartenders all spring to mind, all clad in black, all generally very approachable and friendly people. Black in general is way too rampant in clothing/fashion for something like that to be possible.

I think that misguided idea came from people sensationalizing and romanticizing their taste in fashion, as if trying to borrow some form of identity or personality from clothes that are really just pieces of fabric dyed a certain colour.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    2 people like this.
  5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Just because it can mean other things doesn’t mean Yamamoto is wrong (or that he was making something up for the sake of romanticizing fashion). Black has a long history and its come to mean many things — some of those things being contradictory. In ancient Rome, black was the color of mourning and death. Later, throughout Europe, it came to mean evil and witchcraft, but also religious devotion and purity (think of the uniforms of nuns and priests). In the Middle Ages, it was the color of seriousness and importance, which is why it was worn by magistrates and monarchs (and used by judges today). Later, it became the political color of opposing groups (i.e. both fascists and anarchists), as well as very different types of people (intellectuals and creatives during the Beat movement).

Black has come to mean a lot of things, but some of the most basic meanings include solemnity, darkness, and impersonality. Waiters and servers actually wear it in part for the last reason. Part of being a professional is that you're somewhat impersonal.

14 people like this.
  6. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

anyone familiar with katsuragi fabric? what it feel like? is it just twill or someshit?

7. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

I think one of the reasons waiters wear black is because it doesn't show dirt.

1 person likes this.
  8. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Any recommendations for things to see/do/eat in London in the summer? Will be there for a week at the end of June; gf will be busy all morning, so I have all morning (through lunch) by myself as well as the afternoon and evening with her to do things.

Cigar bars, restaurants, shopping, and any museum recs would be greatly appreciated

9. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  10. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

you should have used this one instead:
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  11. Best Budz

Best Budz Senior member

museums in london are free so i'd hit up as many as you feel comfortable with. but if i had to choose one i'd recommend the british museum (to take pics of people taking pics of the rosetta stone). bunch of shopping options and good beer bars in shoreditch. i know that there was a bunch of recs given by gdl2003 several months ago for shopping. those suggestions served me well.

2 people like this.
  12. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

yeah i tried googling it and i just kept getting those hentai ish type pics...maybe it's not a fabric and nonnative is just naming their stuff weird

13. magicalporks

magicalporks Senior member

14. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

do you mean "kasuri" fabric? PM @g transistor if so

15. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

hah.

katsuragi fabric is just a twill. like the above link, usually a blend of cotton/poly. I've owned a pair of nonnative katsuragi pants and it's nothing special.

1 person likes this.
  16. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Excellent thanks, free museums sounds fantastic, especially when all the bars I was looking at had £20 drinks or something absurd... Gotta find a pub nearby once we book a hotel. I'll try to find that gdl post re: shopping.

Thanks again.

17. nineohtoo

nineohtoo Senior member

Sort of. But not so much being in black, just dressing a little bit different. I actually don't have any friends who are into or interested in clothing or fashion, and many of the things I do for fun or places I go to probably wouldn't feel any different to me if I didn't care about it. But the inverse is true. I can't tell you how many times people, mostly guys, who have been standoffish with me because because I was wearing a leather jacket and boots(not even anything artisanal or baller stuff), then start acting like we've been old friends once they hear me drop knowledge about whatever comics, manga, movies, TV shows, etc they were talking about. And that's just at game nights and more social things. Don't get me started on when people confront me when I play street games and stuff. Though I'm sure it's probably more a combination of a regional thing(defensive tech-industry guys) and just how I generally look(I don't have a "chubby Asian IT" face, and probably look a little intimidating if I don't smile).

4 people like this.
  18. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

keep it coming with the scantily clad anime gals

19. you are going down a dark path that i wouldnt wish even on you

in related news, probably the best anime related thing to come out in 2015

3 people like this.
  20. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

^ buying a ps4 just for p5. because a ps3 just won't do it enough justice.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.