• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

J Crew's In Good Company is their multibrand concept. Uniqlo, Muji and J.Crew are completely different beasts. The first is essentially The GAP, transported from it's hedday to 2013, Muji is a place to get underwear and socks at a the train station if you forgot yours at home, and J. Crew is positioned as a lifestyle brand, which is why, I suspect, you dislike it. In like, 1999, I think that you would have just been bored at a J. Crew, same as I get bored at Uniqlo or the GAP. But Andy Spade and co. made it hip-lite, and I bet that you hate that. Personally, I never buy J. Crew, because I have the same gut reaction as do you. But I do like some of the brands that they'd like to be associated with - particularly Globetrotter, though fiberboard luggage has got to be the most useless POS to actually use for travel.

You're making the mistake of conflating the Japanese and worldwide positioning of Uniqlo and Muji, both mostly lame at home and cool elsewhere. Uniqlo is starting to get too hip/collab/annoying/present so I now prefer the quietness of Muji for say tees and underwear. You'll also note that Muji's home and luggage lines are also quite good and fairly priced. Products by these two retailers also are fairly neutral versus the inherent connotations associated with JCrew products.

travel: let's be honest here, I now use Briggs&Riley for travel and don't see the point of having anything else. If I have too much for a computer bag/electronic stuff/newspaper + roller I add an old Supreme duffel and I'm good to go.

Jabonator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finnish commentator (ex-player and coach) for the World Hockey Championships.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I always saw the "good company" stuff as just an attempt to make the larger J. crew brand image have more cred. Like, "if we offer high quality things like Macintosh or Barbour jackets, maybe people will think our mainline stuff is pretty good, too."

They must be doing something right in terms of marketing, but I would rather just buy those things from the original maker.

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finnish commentator (ex-player and coach) for the World Hockey Championships.

would wear fish shirt

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always saw the "good company" stuff as just an attempt to make the larger J. crew brand image have more cred. Like, "if we offer high quality things like Macintosh or Barbour jackets, maybe people will think our mainline stuff is pretty good, too."

yeah, this is one of the reasons jcrew is significant from a branding perspective, whether or not you dig them personally. they rocked that whole "lifestyle diffusion" thing when drexler came on board

Last edited:

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its insane how thin it is.

I can barely wear longsleeve oxfords with my TOJ Double Rider jacket but the ultra lite down (with sleeves) fits fine.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ULD is something people make fun of because everyone and their grandma from china town has one, but then you secretly have one too because it's awesome.

buran

Reaction score
Regarding common projects white achilles, anyone remember the name of the swedish brand that had some which were super similar? Not thinking of svensson, only a handful of products available online. Anyone have any opinions on price/quality of them?

edit: they were Erick Shedin, don't even have stitched soles...

PS this is now my style inspiration. Mainly thinking about the clothes, can't really identify with the music. Appreciate tips on what to look for in chinos/non-jeans to wear over high&low top sneakers.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ULD is something people make fun of because everyone and their grandma from china town has one, but then you secretly have one too because it's awesome.

Never had anyone make fun of my ULD,but then again my cable knits are baller as ****. ;)

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're making the mistake of conflating the Japanese and worldwide positioning of Uniqlo and Muji, both mostly lame at home and cool elsewhere. Uniqlo is starting to get too hip/collab/annoying/present so I now prefer the quietness of Muji for say tees and underwear. You'll also note that Muji's home and luggage lines are also quite good and fairly priced. Products by these two retailers also are fairly neutral versus the inherent connotations associated with JCrew products.

travel: let's be honest here, I now use Briggs&Riley for travel and don't see the point of having anything else. If I have too much for a computer bag/electronic stuff/newspaper + roller I add an old Supreme duffel and I'm good to go.

Since when was Uniqlo and muji lame in Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads