1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

This extending-the-auction-time-with-each-bid nonsense on YJP makes me crazy

1 person likes this.
  2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It makes a lot of sense for making the market more efficient though. Sniping is not maximizing price.

1 person likes this.
  3. zissou

zissou Senior member

Sale finds have been so ridiculous this season that I'm starting to buy multiples of the same things because they are so cheap.

4. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Exactly. Maximizing price is what I want to avoid!

5 people like this.
  5. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

6. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

If you have some pants you like you could always send them to Luxire and have them to make a copy, just changing the fabric and length

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  7. OccultaVexillum

True, I hadn't thought of the custom route.

8. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

From what I've read they are really helpful at finding you a suitable fabric, and if they don't already have something like that they can usually source it for you. Just be sure you're VERY specific and clear when you do the order (assume nothing, explain every detail about the pants) to make it both easier for them and to make sure you'll be happy with them

9. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Couldn't you just get pants you like and have them tapered and hemmed the way you like? Alterations from the knee down are usually pretty easy.

6 people like this.
  10. msg

msg Senior member

I keep hearing that tapering is easy. Could you explain more about why that's easy? Seems like it throw off the silhouette for something that's not cut to already have a taper.

You seem to imply that tapering the thigh, above the knee, is more difficult - why's that?

11. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

RFT: My shoe guy left me a voicemail saying "Your shoes are done, you can pick them up on Monday but... There is... a big problem. I... I... make a mistake." Telling me that somehow he made a mark on my white guidi derbies with a pen and he can't clean it off. UGH. I'll try to pick them up tomorrow to assess the damage.

On the other hand I had very good interview for a job that would be my actual dream job. So... I'll take that to balance the heartbreak of some potentially ruined shoes.

2 people like this.
  12. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Don't know if this would work, but I've used Jason Markk on leather sneakers, and they've done wonders. It's a cleaning solution you can buy online for like $12. I imagine Guidis have a unique finish though, so you might want to test the solution out first on an inconspicuous spot.

@conceptual 4est has also used Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on sneakers, which seemed to work. Just be aware that those are an actual abrasive, so you're literally just taking the top layer off of the shoe. If the coloring only sits on the surface, then you'll reveal whatever color is underneath.

Someone on AAAC -- I think RJman or Will at ASW -- once had a bespoke shoemaker accidentally spill ink on his shoes. I don't remember what was the solution in the end, but I assume they had to restain it. I ruined a pair of Saint Crispin's last year in a somewhat similar fashion, and had to get the whole thing recolored.

13. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

what leather/finish are they though, big difference getting a stain out of smooth leather vs suede or nubuck

14. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

They're full grain donkey. Not reverse or suede luckily.

15. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

i've used a pencil eraser to get pen marks out of leather before. it might leave a pink mark or a smudge, but that might be better than the pen mark was.

16. futuresailors

futuresailors Senior member

Erasers and wet wipes can work wonders. Re: the pink smudges from a pencil eraser, use an eraser that matches the color of the leather (so white like on a mechanical pencil in this case).

17. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Or use a pink one on the entire boot and sell them on eBay for 5k as custom pale pink Guidi's.

18. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

lol please

6 people like this.
  19. OccultaVexillum

I actually just bought another pair of Margaret Howell moleskin last night to try it with, but I have very limited experience with dress trousers and it seems like they would be best suited for what I'm looking for rather than a chino or something. So I have no idea what pants "I like" in that style to have worked on, if that makes sense. I suppose I could just get something cheap and try it out first.

1 person likes this.
  20. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Found some awesome bathroom fixtures and a nice washstand set up. Then I read carefully... like $2k+ for a chrome stand without the actual sink or any of the faucets. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.