1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

I'm gonna soak it minus the brim in hot water and pop it in the dryer for intervals

2 people like this.
  2. zissou

zissou Senior member

It's actually pretty nice once you sign up. Any time someone ships a package to me via UPS, I get an automatic email and then another the day before it arrives.

1 person likes this.
  3. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Anybody got recs for a thick knit cream/ecru sweater? Open to pretty much any kind of weave, fabric or neck but I guess I'd prefer just a rib knit crewneck.
    And on a related note who stocks Andersen Andersen other than need supply, Frances may and oipoilloi?
    Never mind their stockists link seems to be working now but it doesn't seem to list them all.
    Tjanks

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  4. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

I think I need some Post-Imperial to wear with flight jackets. That sounds cool. @Tirailleur1 was doing this knotted-scarf-around-the-neck thing at Pitti that looked awesome. We don't really see any accessories on this forum outside of watches, huh? Huh.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    3 people like this.
  5. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

That particular link is just an old one, I'm sure you can find that piece from 2015SS elsewhere.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Could you handle bull's wool?

7. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Ha I have no idea. How's it compare to other wools? Is it a piece you guys stock?

8. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

the thing that always makes me crazy about discussions of quality is that people will treat their personal opinion like it's an objective take on whether something is good or not. you hear a lot of "the quality wasn't there" when what's really going on is the person didn't personally like the fabric or something like that. Sometimes the opinion is right and the quality really isn't there. But you rarely hear anyone provide evidence that goes beyond their personal preference about the thing in question. This conflation isn't a huge deal for most of us but to someone really trying to get info on a product it can be a little misleading.

edit: not saying you do this, by the way. just a general observation

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    5 people like this.
  9. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

FYI Rick Owens has upped the quality of certain pieces (think shoes and even jeans) and this comes from the guy managing said quality improvement at RO. I know another RO employee proudly wears a lot of Ironheart and tells me he wishes RO was made that well. I guess that is telling of the state of fashion's price to quality ratio versus Japanese denimhead brands or Cabourn or what have you. I still maintain some Engineered Garments pieces I have have some of the cleanest interior finishing I have seen. On the other hand suiting is surprisingly well-done at fashion brands like Dior or Lanvin, they're not really inferior to most "MC" brands.

4 people like this.
  10. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

aren't suiting at those fashion houses outsourced to places like caruso and zegna?

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

"outsourced"? Suiting is produced at factories, like with every fucking brand. Brioni suiting is "outsourced" to the factory that produces it. Difference being some of these Italian brands are either mills of factories first and then developped a brand. In fashion you can say something is outsourced if the whole design and production is handled by another company, for example Margiela perfume is outsourced to Loréal. Sunglasses and perfume are often outsourced.

12. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Yes, but suit manufacturers are a lot more flexible than SF members give them credit for.

People here tend to think of quality in terms of whether or not the stitching is straight, or if there was loose thread somewhere. That defines quality to a certain extent, but a lot of suit manufacturing is technical and deals with internal components. It's stuff that a consumer either doesn't understand or can't see (eg, when he's looking at the collar, he can't tell what kind of stitching was done, and even if he could, he probably won't understand why one is better than the other. Likewise, he can't take the garment apart and look at the guts). That's the more important stuff.

Suit factories can make things according a wide range of quality levels, which is why you can't easily infer quality by just who made it.

2 people like this.
  13. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

So it's simply impossible to tell suit quality since its all hidden inside the garment

14. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

There's a difference in how something is outsourced, though. In some cases only the manufacturing is outsourced, and a reliable contractor can produce a product to the brand's specifications more efficiently than they could themselves. In some cases keeping things in-house allows the brand to control quality better. In the case of sunglasses, the entire production is often outsourced, from the design to the manufacturing. In that extreme case many people rightly think they're being ripped off, since the brand that did the outsourcing adds nothing to the product besides the logo.

15. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

This Margaret Howell merino/cashmere knit I'm currently wearing feels awesome. 70/30 FWIW. Shoutout to whoever originally mentioned it from Mr. P final drops.

2 people like this.
  16. nineohtoo

nineohtoo Senior member

Anyone have suggestions for dyeing/restoring faded wool? Ribbing on a jacket has gone from black to navy.

17. accordion

accordion Senior member

yea it's probably my best value for money kop ever

18. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

19. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

No, I'm saying quality should mean something real -- how does something look and feel when worn (does the haircloth inside shape the chest in the way you want? Do the lapels roll in a way that's pleasing? Do the arms have shape? Etc.). You don't actually have to ask yourself these questions. You can just try a bunch of stuff on and buy what looks and feels best. Then after a few years of wearing it, if you still like the garment, then it was prob of good quality.

Like I said in the ToJ thread, I think people should think of clothes more as being more like food than cars. Instead of dissecting the technical things you don't understand anyway -- in an attempt to "max" out the quality levels given your budget -- you should just try the thing and say whether or not you like it. Nobody buys a dish and separates out the different ingredients, trying to see if the tomatoes, pasta, and olive oil are of good quality. They just eat it and say whether or not it tastes good.

4 people like this.
  20. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

And my point of view is, it would be nice if people did that, but they aren't going to. The word is going to be continuously misused because people think they know what they are talking about or they think others know what they are talking about. It's ingrained into the culture at this point.

If you can tip the point, great, I'll welcome that eventuality, but in the end it may just be tilting at windmillz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.