1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jet

jet Senior member

I think it rained here a couple days ago.

Usually praising usps and hating on ups, in a bizarre turn of events usps has been taking 3 days longer than their promised delivery date and mr porter shipped my 70% sweater 3 day select (because fucking ups takes 5 business days from NY to CA) which means it should be delivered tomorrow but low and behold it is out for delivery today. This is incredible.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Well, Stylezeitgeist is cool and Styleforum is normcore, so there's that.

Also, it's not that he disagrees with the "hivemind". It's that he phrases it in a very specific way. If he thinks that his "harumph, kids. That person must be living off their parents because she doesn't dress 'professionally'" attitude is going to go unremarked upon, then he's just living in a world without consequence, and none of us live there.

Incidentally, this all started because I said that Moo and I were middle aged, in the context of who could actually afford MA+, and also wanted it. The offense was purely in his own head.

2 people like this.
  3. LA Guy

Probably a tempest in a teapot, but there is the very outside chance that things snowball, and Jean Touitou is ousted as the head.

4. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

"Normcore" is my most annoying word of 2014, narrowly ousting "literally" and the phrases "in my opinion" and "speaking as a ____ ." I would say it still loses out to "It is what it is" as most annoying of all time, but is decidedly more immediately annoying than (and is, in some circles, replacing) "hipster." Other contenders include "Goth-Ninja," "GATs," and "To be honest," as well as the shortened "tbh" - which is, perhaps, even more infuriating.

Also, uptalk seems to be making a comeback? Have you noticed this? It's not just me, is it?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    5 people like this.
  5. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

I think the worst thing about Normcore is how its misapplied. I think I've seen rage-fests on SZ where participants are operating from 4 different concepts of the term.

I still don't even buy that it was a real trend, versus something that New York fashion media created so that they could sell papers and seem relevant and what we see today is just the world reacting to what they fabricated.

6. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

tbh, IMO this is just asking for some hipster to literally respond with all said phrases. Speaking as a style forum poster, Goth-Ninja and GATs are here to stay. It is what it is.

It is what it is,

9 people like this.
  7. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Normcore

8. LA Guy

I like the phrase "It is what it is." It's a succinct encapsulation of Stoic thought.

7 people like this.
  9. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

How did you even stand talking to me at the trunk show? I literally use all those phrases. In my opinion, they're not as bad as you make it out to be. But tbh, they're very convenient phrases to use. Terms like Goth-ninja, hipster, normcore, etc. compartmentalize fashion trends into accessible sectors. Speaking as a purveyor of dope goth-ninja fashion, of course. I once wore GATs, but then I decided they were much too normcore for me. Well, it is what it is. Don't be hatin', Asuka-chan.

2 people like this.
  10. accordion

accordion Senior member

tbh when I see "normcore", this is what I always think back to, but then again wasn't this just how brooklyn people dressed?

[​IMG]

11. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

I want more ma+ :embar:

12. LA Guy

I am seriously thinking about getting a biker, but I just spent all that money on plane tickets. One is for a family vacation, so that is cool. The other are for last minute flights to a funeral, so... less cool. Actually, just that alone would have gotten 90% of the jackets that MA+ puts out. I just happen to want the most expensive one they make. Fuck my taste.

2 people like this.
  13. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Liquidate your belt collection, buy all the ma leathers

1 person likes this.
  14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

15. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Wait what? You thought my "today I learned I'm middle aged I'm gonna go cry" comment was me taking offense?

Jesus fucking Christ.

16. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

You had to explain yourself and whined, so yes.

Exhibit 1:

17. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

That came after after he didn't get that I'm not offended and continued to press the issue.

Irrespective, fuck you all.

18. LA Guy

You've lost me...

19. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Stop being so butthurt. JFC.

2 people like this.
  20. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Yeah that biker jacket is pretty freaking cool, is the one I want is well, I tried on the store and fit supertight FW I W

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.