1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zissou

zissou Senior member

I'm about an hour and a half away. I'd stop by and say hey, but the family and I have a pretty busy weekend ahead. You'll be at the Salt Palace I imagine, so pretty much everything I'm mentioning is within about 5-6 blocks.

Any Meal
    Bambara (202 S Main, on the bottom floor of Hotel Monaco)- Hands down the best restaurant in SLC. Hotel Monaco is our favorite hotel as well.

Breakfast
    Eva's Bakery (155 S Main)- amazing French bakery with cute waitresses

Lunch
    Tony Caputo's (314 West 300 South)- Amazing Italian deli. Go for the meatball sandwich, and take some artisan chocolate with you.
    Carlucci's (right next to Tony Caputo's) - Also great sandwiches, with wonderful pastries. (great coffee, too, if you want breakfast)
    Este Pizza (156 E 200 S)- For the closest thing to NY style pizza this far west

Dinner
    Tin Angel (365 West 400 South)- Fantastic tapas style with local ingredients
    Red Rock Brewery (254 South 200 West)- If you are looking for a good brew pub
    Cucina Toscana (right behind Tony Caputo's)- wonderful upscale Italian
    Copper Onion (111 E Broadway)- A little farther away, but well worth it
    Naked Fish (67 W 100 S)- Some of the best sushi I've ever had
    Himalayan Kitchen (360 S State St) - For good Nepalese

Coffee
    Jack Mormon Coffee (82 E Street)- It's a drive, but stop by if you like coffee and want to have your mind blown.

Hmm, I will have to think about other things, but that should get you started!

If you want to get outdoors and have a car, I recommend heading north to Antelope Island State Park in the middle of Great Salt Lake or east up to Park City. The Utah Museum of Natural History is pretty rad. If you are looking for clothes, Bastille in the Gateway Mall is pretty much the only place, and even then, it's Nudies and Gitman, with some RO and lots of G-Star.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  3. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

@brad-t
    [​IMG]
    Yohji x Evangelion collab: source

I was confused about what thread to post this in.

7 people like this.
  4. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

If it's a 6 sell me it

5. accordion

accordion Senior member

not trying to cause a shitstorm but I'm too afraid to ask on SZ, what exactly do they mean by normcore? Is every fit with jeans and gats normcore? Is 90% of sf waywt normcore? When does it stop being normcore and become w/e normcore isn't?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  6. Severisth

Severisth Senior member

6 would be wayyyyy too small for you Bene, I wear a 6 in the base shirt. Base shirt fits crazy small.

7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Hello gents! I wear a size 9D in Allen Edmonds' Park Avenues. What size should I take in the Yohji x Evangelion collab?

15 people like this.
  8. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

different people mean different things. the whole tumblr trend of #normcore just means really basic, simple pieces [and relying to good looks / youth to still pull it off]. on SZ it means not wearing artisanal brands / RO / BBS, or wearing them but looking like you don't know what you're doing

there was a discussion of normcore earlier in this thread I think, in particular some quote/definition by Fuuma

1 person likes this.
  9. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

this. i am a very true 36 and while i can fit into the size 4, it pulls slightly at the chest.

1 person likes this.
  10. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

this is why i cant have nice things

1 person likes this.
  11. accordion

accordion Senior member

sipang's selling a sz. 7 that I just msged about kopping, but if you really want it you can have

1 person likes this.
  12. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I dont like the contrast collar. Id rather get the garden, i know how it fits and i have a good sense of the fabric :D

13. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

only basic people don't buy the base shirt when it's up for sale. true story.

14. accordion

accordion Senior member

yea i don't love that color either but hoping I can stash it until I can wear it with something that works

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

So, Christophe Loiron (of Mister Freedom) made a Vietnam-War inspired collection for this Spring, which has pieces with these two patches on them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I asked him about it on Twitter, he said that this collection is about the irony of war and imperialism. But when I asked him to elaborate over email, he declined -- saying that people who call him racist are trolls and that if that's the level of conversation we're starting at, he'll decline to comment at all. (It wasn't me who called him racist -- I actually went out of my way to talk about how much I like his brand, and how I own and wear a lot of his stuff. Jon Moy over at Four Pins called him a racist).

I'm supposed to write a post about this for a website, but -- without Loiron's view -- I don't know what really can be said. I don't want to say this is offensive imagery, because that seems obvious and doesn't push the convo anywhere.

Only thing I can think of: compare this to Barry McGee's collab with Adidas (which supposedly reclaimed racist imagery) and A&F's blunder with their Asian laundrymen t-shirts.

Really disappointed Loiron has gotten so defensive and declined to comment at all. My guess is that he thought it would be super punk rock to put this offensive image on a jacket, but didn't think about how others would react to it. (He's also been signing some promotional Tweets and blog posts with "Charly" (sic))

6 people like this.
  16. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

Reminds me a bit of the "Manifest Destiny" GAP/McNairy/GQ tee.

17. brightorangetrousers

brightorangetrousers Senior member

Mister Freedom stuff is lovely, but...

...honestly, if I saw someone wearing a shirt with that patch, my initial response would be WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE. (And that would only be tempered a leeetle if it was someone Vietnamese wearing it.)

How does someone wearing that patch bring any irony or playfulness to thoughts on war, race and imperialism? Dude doesn't seem to re-imagining/re-interpreting the kind of patches that were around at the same, just coming up with one similarly offensive.

1 person likes this.
  18. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

so tacky and terrible but i really want a shirt that says "YOHJI YAMAMOTO EVANGELION" so I have no idea what to do

7 people like this.
  19. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. brightorangetrousers

brightorangetrousers Senior member

Do it, good taste is overrated.

Thread Status: