1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

I have no idea what DHL is doing. My package from Luxire arrived to a facility about 10 km from where I live yesterday morning, but they won't deliver it due to "adverse weather conditions". Then they fly it to Sweden about 600 km away?! I mean, I could have picked up the package myself, the weather really wasn't that bad. Now it's been shipped back to Denmark but it's in the other side of the country. [​IMG]

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It was windy, but nothing really to warrant stopping delivery.

3. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

Yeah, exactly. There was lots of cars on the roads, and instead they fly it to Sweden and then to Billund when it was already in Copenhagen..

4. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

I've had that happen before when I've bought things from overseas, they always told me they were "re-checking it through customs" because somebody missed something or didn't do it right.

5. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Are there any Munich area SFers?

6. DLester

DLester Senior member

more on this -- somebody just bumped this 2009 thread regarding "when will baggy clothes make a comeback" to the top of the SF front page. You can see what a lot of current posters had to say on the matter back in the day, including u me jetdawg and some others.

It is a short read but kind of funny to see what people were saying was going to happen real soon and what was going to happen five years later. also there is a pic of you in baggy pants as a kid...

http://www.styleforum.net/t/141113/...-how-can-we-stop-it-from-happening-again/0_50

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

holy fuck @ thirteen year old brad.

8. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

stopped by barneys and neiman marcus today. it's amazing the amount of "high end" brands that just feel (fabric wise, wasn't even tempted to try on anything) like utter shit. the stuff at club monaco felt nicer to me, tbh.

9. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Barney's SF dropped Geller and Geller Seconds. I noticed a few other brands missing. Saw some nice MMM knits that of course, weren't on sale. Rick buy was either already picked over or not fully in yet. Probably the latter?

DH boutique was pretty picked over, but some nice footwear and outerwear (I noticed Sandro copied a few items).

11. 13k

13k Senior member

I was at barneys SF a few weeks ago and selection was pretty disappointing. NY and BH both had better selections. Really dissapointing they dropped Geller in general too.

12. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

Only person in music I ever thought looked good in baggy clothes was Tupac. Everyone else in this vid is what I want to avoid coming back.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

14. accordion

accordion Senior member

Does anyone actually read the inspiration/mission statements/theses behind fashion collections? I looked up a bit on Elena Dawson and Geoffrey B. Small after handling their pieces and couldn't handle the psuedo-continental philosophy pretension despite liking their clothes. There seems to be a select few virtues all designers strive for; some type of Marxist anti-consumerism motto that makes you feel closer to the production process, e.g. guidi, hand-made, no mass production; emphasizing Romantic individualism: new take on old forms, etc, and attention to materials; which means there's some mohair or alpaca somewhere or exotic leathers.

Was also looking at AnnD's FW11 collection that was supposedly inspired by William Blake, and it was nothing like how I'd imagine William Blake would appear through fashion. I get that most of the younger designers went to art school and were probably force-fed Heidegger/Walter Benjamin or w/e they read nowadays but I honestly have never ever associated anything higher than manga or punk rock with most designers. It gives me a false sense of security that someone like Ann looks to William Blake rather than Death Note for inspiration, but I've found that none of it should make any difference in how the end product is conceived. And the more designers or retailers write about how special their clothes are, and yes it's to sell more shit, the more I get turned off from buying it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    9 people like this.
  15. eluther

eluther Senior member

EG FW 2014 was inspired by the British country side and glam rock, which was pretty dope and made for an interesting and fun collection. Reading about it made the collection more enjoyable seeing ways the motifs were teased out and pit against each other. So, reading that shit can enhance your experience if it falls in line with your personal interests/self-image.

I think the fetishization of continental philosophy (and equally as abstruse occidental art) is about introducing some impenetrable mystery into fashion: obviate the designer from actually being accountable for their influences, which are probably more quotidian. It's all about giving your customers the sense that what they're buying aren't just clothes, but a narrative – i.e. hype and producing an image. Getting turned off from that is legitimate because it really is all smoke and mirrors. However, I think you can take it as the kind of circus show it is and enjoy it for that.

Or, you can view it as an artistic production, which is a lot more complex and potentially unrewarding when you realize it's just some bourgeoise white zerson sitting in their atelier trying to figure out how to fleece other privileged folks from their money.

2 people like this.
  16. ShoutOutsFoMyBo

ShoutOutsFoMyBo Senior member

im sure this question has been asked before, but what are the best shops in portland? im there all next week. looking for good thrift stores, and good shit in general. i have nothing planned.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  17. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

I find a lot of designer statements silly, though sometimes they allow some insight into what the designer was going for. They can be useful to the designer though since they let the designer define how people, and importantly the press, talk about a collection.

18. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

I think that I've gotten a lot more pleasure out of editorials - particularly third party - than I ever have from designer statements. I love Julius' nonsense, in part because I'm half-convinced the absurd manifestos are some kind of in-joke.

1 person likes this.
  19. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

on a similar note, are there any men's fashion magazines worth subscribing too? or podcasts?

20. accordion

accordion Senior member

I enjoy designers who take from simpler inspirations such as... winter weeds, rather than something hyper-intellectual. I can see that designers need to promote their work and thus come up with words to describe it -- building a narrative; it's an unfortunate necessity of capitalist markets. I guess I'm lamenting bigger problems with intellectualism and art. For example, when a Julius jacket designed for Death Note is of better taste than a Plato/Nietzsche/Confucius inspired jacket by random asian designer #243, it convinces me to ignore rather than buy into the inspiration behind art and fashion, as I always have. Without this mindset, I wouldn't be able to enjoy Ezra Pound if I'm Jewish, or more practically, see that I'm wasting my money on an ugly jacket.

When a designer has a good ethos, is likeable, it definitely adds to the buying experience, and vice versa, but this shouldn't be the case. And I sympathize with designers who put a lot of thought into their work and prefer to present it as a cohesive whole. Without getting too complicated, I think fashion simply magnifies an ill-conceived societal habit of relating art to some intellectual basis. I'm of the opinion the two has nothing to do with each other, but recognize the link is necessary.

Basically I was in eth0s looking at Elena Dawson blazers (which are nice), but then read something about channeling a metaphysical presence within the fabric and it made me decide to neverkop.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.