1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

^ I've been using it, it's pretty convenient. the 5$ pickup fee is well worth it when you factor in packing supplies and mind-blowingly awful post office experiences.

1 person likes this.
  2. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

First time getting something sent to me via Lasership; this is going to be interesting...

3. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Pretty much what i've been doing for years. I do have email notifications for a a few threads but thats about it. And even the few threads i subscribe too take up some space win the mailbox

He probably doesn't sell a lot and doesn't realize he should update or close his listing when he sells to a consignment shop... thats messed up, you can possibly give him bad feedback right?

4. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

So, every once in a while, when I'm talking to a designer, we'll get at something that's much more resonant than the "what inspires you" or "who is your customer" fallback questions (guilty). This bit from the Robert Geller interview (above) is a maybe the best example:

--

To go back to location and its importance, you’ve always struck me as a quintessentially New York designer. Coming from Germany, and then moving to Providence to go to school at RISD, what was it about New York that captured your imagination?

It’s funny, because I didn’t plan to stay in New York when I went there. I went there because I had an opportunity to work for Marc Jacobs, and New York always seemed too overbearing to me. Too loud, too rough, and then I landed here, and it was about a week, two weeks after I actually moved here, that September 11th happened. I lived like five blocks away from Ground Zero - I was one of the people running away from the falling buildings. So that was my welcome to New York moment - fucking nuts. And I came back and I fell in love with it. You fall in love with your favorite restaurants, your favorite little places and coffee [shops] where you can walk on the weekend - and that came together. And I think that sense of, “you need to protect yourself,” I think it never went away. I think that’s a lot of what I put into the collection in terms of that feeling of streetwear - and all that layering, you want to layer yourself to protect yourself, you want a leather jacket and then a scarf.

--

Just...crazy.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    16 people like this.
  5. spacepope

spacepope Senior member

15 people like this.
  6. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Sorry to be the one to disappoint you, but they don't deliver your package in an actual ship that shoots lasers. The times I've had something delivered via Lasership, it's been a couple of guys in a car or van.

9 people like this.
  7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Not that crazy. You know me. I've always dressed like that. Layers, and tough, street ready layers. It's armor.

8. colabear

colabear Senior member

I've always wanted a bottle green felted wool long coat and a herringbone tweed zip up jacket for years. I searched long and hard for years but with no luck. Even my fave designer, Marc Jacobs never made them or something similar. I even thought of making them myself but without the right fabrics never came to fruition. Then low and behold, my dreams came to reality thanks to The Real Real I now own both of my grail pieces of men's clothing.

bottle green felted wool coat
    [​IMG]
    w/ bonus antique leather buttons

herringbone tweed zip up jacket
    [​IMG]
    w/ bonus maroon & navy blue windowpane pattern

1 person likes this.
  9. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Not the clothes, the experience. I also like layers, and that is why. Cocoons are very comforting. Weren't we calling CCP clothes slaughterhouse jackets just a few days ago?

ripe for psychoanalysis

ccp -> thanatos / Geller -> trauma theory

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  10. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

That particular experience is extremely resonant, but the need for armor is pretty common. A coccoon has a completely different symbolic meaning.

12. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

Yeah I read some reviews online about them. Someone said they don't ship packages dressed in a company uniform. So how exactly do they operate? since I don't get home till about 10:30PM every night, do they leave a note for redelivery? leave my package there? at the post office?

13. nevergreen

nevergreen Senior member

for some reason i had a dream (nightmare) that hirsh paid that $500 fine

18 people like this.
  14. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

I think they leave a note. You can probably sign it and leave it on your door to authorize them to drop it off next time they come around.

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Her boyfriend will pay it

7 people like this.
  16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Im too prissy to consider my fashionz to be armor.

17. Donut

Donut Senior member

Yeah man it sucks because I was about to pay but then he disappeared. No negative feedback on grailed. Guess my money will be saved for that Vanson SF Rider in January. Might be tempted by all these sales happening right now though too.

18. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Street armor FTW

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  19. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

2 pair of pants have had the seams or fabric around the seat ripped in less than a month. One pair was fixed but broke again.

I now own a total of 1 pair of pants.

3 people like this.
  20. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

good thing it's ok to never wash your pants

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.